Photo

Yuk Yuk's Victoria | View St. | CLOSED

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:02 AM

I remember some applications coming up but maybe they were turned down, in that case I take that statement back. VHF is the go-to guy for liquor info.

#22 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

I think the former dinner theater at 818 Douglas (now the Noodle box) got a liquor primary ten years ago but if so, I don't know if the Noodle Box inherited it or if the license is dormant or transferred. 

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

Rob, you have a way better handle on these kind of things than I. Can you provide two NEW liquor primary's that have been granted over the last few years?

Royal Theatre.
Victoria Events Centre.
Moon Under Water Pub.
The Churchill.
Helijet departure lounge.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:28 AM

So as far as Joe-public is concerned we have gained one liquor primary downtown.

In that time how many have gone dormant? Sweetwaters (or whatever) remains closed, Hush remains closed, Sopranos is kaput (liquor primary owned by the hotel still?), Deja Vous was recently closed, and who knows what the future of Paparazzi is.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:05 AM

Royal Theatre.
Victoria Events Centre.
Moon Under Water Pub.
The Churchill.
Helijet departure lounge.

the churchill was an existing liquor primary and the moon was a brew pub which is slightly different, but I take your point. Note that the other examples are not applying for a liquor primary as part of their primary business model, but as a service to their customers. I am surprised by the royal application as it has been serving alcohol at intermission for years. Excellent examples but not an amazing example of a forward thinking approach to adult consumption of a legal commodity.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#26 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

So as far as Joe-public is concerned we have gained one liquor primary downtown.

In that time how many have gone dormant? Sweetwaters (or whatever) remains closed, Hush remains closed, Sopranos is kaput (liquor primary owned by the hotel still?), Deja Vous was recently closed, and who knows what the future of Paparazzi is.

the owners of those licenses sit on them as they have value waiting for a moment when the right opportunity comes along for them to re activate, or sell.

The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

the churchill was an existing liquor primary and the moon was a brew pub which is slightly different, but I take your point. Note that the other examples are not applying for a liquor primary as part of their primary business model, but as a service to their customers. I am surprised by the royal application as it has been serving alcohol at intermission for years. Excellent examples but not an amazing example of a forward thinking approach to adult consumption of a legal commodity.

You might be right about Churchill.

I forgot one.  The old Army and Navy space had to apply for a brand new liquor license on View, and they got one.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

the owners of those licenses sit on them as they have value waiting for a moment when the right opportunity comes along for them to re activate, or sell.

That time is not likely to come now, since you can buy booze in any restaurant, in any seating area, with no food purchase required.  You just can't stand.  But let's face it, standing in pubs is old school, except at the very busiest times.

#29 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:29 AM

A lot of parallels between this and the taxi/uber situation. 

#30 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

Was the change in the Royal's license related to the new ability to take drinks into the theatre (at both Royal and McPherson) or was that change just due to unrelated liquor law changes?

• Rob Randall likes this

#31 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

Marg Gardiner, president of the James Bay Neighbourhood Association, said the proposed location is already congested with buses and neighbourhood traffic.

Sometimes it is embarrassing the nonsense spouted by an organization that is supposed to represent me.

1. Pretending that this is even a part of "James Bay" is ridiculous. The border is clearly Superior/Southgate St.

2. Yeah it is pretty heavily traveled, so what? Was there less traffic when it was a restaurant in a hotel? Will anyone notice any actual increase if this club went in? NO!

3. As for the "entertainment district" BS I see no compelling reason to limit the "fun zone" in this absurd way. That is a dead area at night that if anything, is kinda dark and creepy to walk through. A little more foot traffic in the evenings would make it safer and more interesting.

• Baro and Hotel Mike like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#32 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

if that is the case Greg, that hardly constitutes a NEW liquor primary. And lets be clear, the softening of the food primary rules to allow such things, STILL requires food be sold on site. A liquor primary license allows the holder to sell booze only, subtle yet stark difference.

The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

It is indeed dark and creepy to walk through. I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

...which is what the space was designed for and what occupied that space for many decades.

When has that ever mattered to anybody in Victoria? Heck, when people talked about doing something -- ANYTHING -- with the HBC building, all of the same old supposed concerns about traffic and such were raised. As if everyone had forgotten that it was a frickin' department store with a large parkade on the back of it.

Also, didn't we establish in another thread that (inexplicably) there weren't any major concerns about the most recent highrise tower proposal for the motel site? And yet reopening a decades-old restaurant space would cause traffic mayhem?

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

When has that ever mattered to anybody in Victoria? Heck, when people talked about doing something -- ANYTHING -- with the HBC building, all of the same old supposed concerns about traffic and such were raised. As if everyone had forgotten that it was a frickin' department store with a large parkade on the back of it.

Also, didn't we establish in another thread that (inexplicably) there weren't any major concerns about the most recent highrise tower proposal for the motel site? And yet reopening a decades-old restaurant space would cause traffic mayhem?

Ya, the 800-seat and 1400-seat theatres in town have no parking either (well, the Royal has parking for maybe 60 cars).  Is there mayhem?  

#36 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

Don't forget the mayhem caused by insufficient parking at the RBCM. And you just wait and see, that new arena is going to cause mayhem, for sure. Chaos, gridlock, road rage, madness, spontaneous combustion, hyena attacks (I assume that the sum total of these things could fairly be summarized as mayhem).

#37 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:40 PM

Ya, the 800-seat and 1400-seat theatres in town have no parking either (well, the Royal has parking for maybe 60 cars). Is there mayhem?

I feel like commenting here but it would be too easy.
  • Matt R. likes this

#38 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:33 PM

The Drake, was that a new license...?

Pretty sure the original Yuk Yuks in Victoria was where Sugar is now.... 

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

The Drake, was that a new license...?

Pretty sure the original Yuk Yuks in Victoria was where Sugar is now.... 

The Drake is a restaurant license.

• Mr_E_Squirrel likes this

#40 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:52 PM

I thought the former Samuel's was a perfect spot for Yuk Yuks.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users