Photo

Yuk Yuk's Victoria | View St. | CLOSED

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:05 AM

yuk yuks has been looking to get into victoria for quite a while now but there requirements are tough to meet in this town and they really only need the space three nights for a few hours, so unless they piggy back off another liquor primary location we may be forced to attend council meetings for a humour relief.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#42 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:19 AM

The Drake is a restaurant license.

They aren't operating like one AT ALL. Not that I mind.

#43 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:46 AM

They aren't operating like one AT ALL. Not that I mind.

Lots don't. The last time I was at Breakwater Bistro at Ogden Point it was pretty much like the Sticky Wicket or any other "bar".

I would say whoever was trying to get a liquor primary granted at this location is probably clueless when it comes to Victoria politics (not that I agree with the decision or mentality, but you gotta play the game...).

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#44 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

Maybe they should look into that nightclub on View that just shut down - is that a viable option?

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

Maybe they should look into that nightclub on View that just shut down - is that a viable option?

It already has a buyer.  Or at least a tentative one.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:15 AM

I think something like a comedy club would be great somewhere around the Strath.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:31 AM

I think something like a comedy club would be great somewhere around the Strath.

Isn't there some kind of space above Noodle Box that use to house a dinner theatre?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

Isn't there some kind of space above Noodle Box that use to house a dinner theatre?

I think you might be right. Never went myself but I do remember there  being something like that down there.  Also another thing missing from downtown Victoria - dinner theatre. Does the OB Beach hotel still do it?

#49 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

If I'm remembering correctly, there was a comedy club in the basement of the Dominion in the early '90s, for just a short while. But I should think anywhere downtown would work nowadays.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:38 AM

If I'm remembering correctly, there was a comedy club in the basement of the Dominion in the early '90s, for just a short while. But I should think anywhere downtown would work nowadays.

Ya, it's still there, closed, but tiny.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Does the OB Beach hotel still do it?

Sort of.  They are doing a Double Diamond dinner show this week.

#52 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

That is correct, in that space under the Taphouse - anyone have any idea what's in that space now?  Storage?  The comedy club was short lived and it was a couple bars that were alright but there was a time it was a bit weird with a big circle bed in the back corner of the room

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

That is correct, in that space under the Taphouse - anyone have any idea what's in that space now?  Storage?  

They (the Taphouse operators) have actually opened it up a couple times for a couple events.  But ya, it's just collecting cobwebs mostly.  The Rocket people might have plans for it.

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:57 AM

Yep, that was 818 Douglas. That's the one that was approved for a liquor primary license ten or so years ago that I don't know the current status of.

#55 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:25 PM

They (the Taphouse operators) have actually opened it up a couple times for a couple events. But ya, it's just collecting cobwebs mostly. The Rocket people might have plans for it.

The space is part of the Tapehouse lease. Dan took me down there... its a mess and according to him to expensive to bring up to code to be usable space.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 28 January 2016 - 04:33 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#56 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:02 PM

The space is part of the Tapehouse lease. Dan took me down there... its a mess and according to him to expensive to bring up to code to be usable space.

Yes but the comedy club was more like early 2000's right before or after being a gentleman's club. Early to mid 1990's it was Triples and it was a great place. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#57 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:32 PM

What about the upper lounge in the Bedford Regency.  What happened to that spot, wasn't the Ledge Lounge there before?

I remember being invited to a comedy show up there about a decade ago.  It was a good venue.

#58 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:46 PM

Victoria Events Centre.

While this was technically "new", my recollection was that the Victoria Event Centre license was mostly because they were tired of getting event licenses every single time.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:54 PM

While this was technically "new", my recollection was that the Victoria Event Centre license was mostly because they were tired of getting event licenses every single time.

That's exactly right.  They had to get a Special Event License every time they did something.  It's time-consuming and costly.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:51 PM

Looks like a June 9th opening.  Open Th-Sa.

Most shows $20, two shows on weekend nights.

https://www.yukyuks.com/victoria

A few other places in town just started comedy nights this spring.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users