BUILT
The Row
Use: rental
Address: 1152 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
The Row is a six-storey rental complex on Johnson Street at Chambers Street in the City of Victoria's Fernwood... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Row on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fernwood] The Row | condos, rentals | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#21 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

Nice clean design. Not sure commercial is needed there. More live work for those ground units?

#22 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Looks great.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

Do we know if it's a rental?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

"A covenant is proposed to dedicate a minimum of 20% of the units for rental dwellings."

Page 4 of the drawings in the Development Tracker has a lot of text about the project rationale.

Seems the Landis title is dropped for simply "johnson + chambers".

Do we know if it's a rental?

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#25 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

This project is heading to a vote at City Council this Thursday (Aug 10).

#26 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:15 AM

Does anyone know if council approved this last night?

#27 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:46 AM

It was approved, 4-2.

Helps spoke at length on the application, she wants to see this start a trend of rental units being included in condo buildings (this one is 20% rentals I believe).

Maddof wants to see greater effort to retain single family houses downtown.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:52 AM

Who opposed the development? Madoff and...?

And why only 4-2? Where were the other three councillors?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

It was approved, 4-2.

Helps spoke at length on the application, she wants to see this start a trend of rental units being included in condo buildings (this one is 20% rentals I believe).

Maddof wants to see greater effort to retain single family houses downtown.

A rental mandate may be superfluous as many condos are bought for investment purposes, unless they are trying to preclude these units from winding up in the Air B&B market?

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

...Maddof wants to see greater effort to retain single family houses downtown.

This woman is as big a menace as the mayor. Can someone please explain to her that housing will never become more affordable by retaining SFH's in the downtown core.

#31 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

Who opposed the development? Madoff and...?

And why only 4-2? Where were the other three councillors?

Not sure. I checked the video feed, and the camera is only ever focused on the speaker, not the whole room. So when the vote was made you can't see who is opposed. It will be in the minutes once those go up.

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

Gotcha, thank you! So of the 48-units in this building, I will assume 10 will be rentals, (9.6-units @ 20%).

Know it all.

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

...So of the 48-units in this building, I will assume 10 will be rentals, (9.6-units @ 20%).

Or as many as 48 if the remaining units are bought as revenue properties. I fail to see what monumental shift in rental vacancies this will create. Also, who is going to manage the 10 rentals within an otherwise strata-titled property?

#34 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

Gotcha, thank you! So of the 48-units in this building, I will assume 10 will be rentals, (9.6-units @ 20%).

Interestingly enough, if those rental units are strata titled, it will give the owner/developer a significant influence over the council for some time...

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

... if those rental units are strata titled, it will give the owner/developer a significant influence over the council for some time...

And what benefit is there to a developer to influence strata councils in perpetuity?

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

A rental mandate may be superfluous as many condos are bought for investment purposes

Ya, that's what I was thinking.  Typical stupid, simplistic council thinking.  There are unintended consequences.  For one, a building simply might not be built if it has to conclude rentals.  Then you get ZERO new housing, owned or rented.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

Interestingly enough, if those rental units are strata titled, it will give the owner/developer a significant influence over the council for some time...

Another stupid unintended consequence.  

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Also, who is going to manage the 10 rentals within an otherwise strata-titled property?

I'd guess the ownership of them can change hands, as a lot or individually.

#39 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Correct, it's a minimum of 10 rental units, secured in perpetuity, with the assumption that the units will be strata titled. There's a housing agreement here: https://victoria.civ... _ Chambers.pdf

#40 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

I'd guess the ownership of them can change hands, as a lot or individually.

The housing agreement bylaw simply states that the unit cannot be occupied by the Owner, or the immediate family of the Owner. There's no mention I can see that requires a property management company to acquire and operate all 10 units.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users