PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#21 Amberella

Amberella
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

I work at the Crystal and I can tell you it's more than just leaks that need fixing. The boilers are the original ones they brought over 40 years ago from the crystal gardens and that's just one example.

It's a money pit, I know, most pools are, and the older they are the more problems they have, the Crystal has an old system and in the end they will end up wasting more money putting off replacing the pool, if they got it over with they would save money in the long run. There are more problems with the facilities too, because it was built so long ago there are no family changerooms and families change in our first aid room, workout machines are thrown into every nook and cranny because there is no dedicated workout room large enough to house it all.

But I think the biggest misconception about the Crystal pool is that if it was shut down we'd be ok because the city is being well enough served by Oak Bay and Saanich Facilities. We have national athletes that train at Crystal who would be without a home to train if the Crystal was shut down or replace by a mere 25 meter leisure pool.

If you come by early in the morning you'll find a gold medalist and half of the national triathalon team training in our waters, why do they choose the Crystal over Commonwealth, well, it's partly because there isn't enough pool space there to go around. If you come by in the afternoon as soon as school lets out you'll see we are overtaken by the Tyee swimteam, thier biggest wish, that we had more pool space to give them because they want to train more students. And when the national swimmers can't get pool time at Commonwealth, you'll find them in our waters. Oh, and you'll also find the Oak Bay Swim team in our waters two nights a week. When I asked why they don't swim at Oak Bay I was told it was because they couldn't get time there.
If we lost the Crystal, or didn't replace it with a 50 meter pool we'd be shutting out national athletes and prohibiting the development of future champs.

It is a funky old building, but I think there is more than one leak.
It would be great to have a full service rec centre there like other munis have, not just an aging pool.

But I agree, Victoria does have more pressing issues.
And it is reasonably well served by private facilities (plus Oak Bay/Saanich facilities!).

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

^ What about the area between the breakwater and the cruise ship wharfs? That must be pretty calm water, why can't they train there?

http://www.victoriab.../breakwater.jpg

I once again woder why we need new railings around the seawall to West Bay when we have that situation ^ where you could fall, smash your head, then hit the water. At least on the Westsong, you just hit the water. What's this thread about again?

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

I would love to see Crystal Pool upgraded. More than a new bridge for example.

I am also still wondering why Victoria has no outdoor pools while Vancouver has a ton.

We have better weaher so it would seem that we should have at least couple in comparison to their five:

Pics from City of Vancouver Parks

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

I believe there was an area of the Gorge that was sectioned off for swimming before the 1980s.

The boilers are the original ones they brought over 40 years ago from the crystal gardens

That is amazing. Which makes me wonder--could the boilers be updated right away and if the Crystal is replaced, could the newish boilers be used in the new facility.

Maybe modern equipment can't be transferred anymore. City Hall isn't suggesting the 80 year old Johnson St. Bridge motors be replaced and reinstalled in a new bridge later.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#25 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

I believe there was an area of the Gorge that was sectioned off for swimming before the 1980s.

A bit off topic, but yes there was a wonderful salt water swimming beach in the Kinsmen Gorge Park.

It was connected to the Gorge waters with a weir. Every spring the municipal crews would close the weir, pump out the water, scrape out the duck crap, add new sand, sprinkle some kind of chemical on the new surface, then open up the weir at high tide. The weir was then closed, which would keep the water level as high as possible.

The adjacent beach area was delightful for families of all ages.

There was a concession operated by the Kinsmen, change rooms and washrooms, swings and slides and turntables. Fields for sports, picnic tables, and ample parking.

This was a fantastic local recreation facility.

#26 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

The duck and the goose crap is why it would be difficult to maintain outdoor pools in the Victoria area.

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

They have ducks and geese in Vancouver I think too.

#28 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:44 AM

I would love to see Crystal Pool upgraded. More than a new bridge for example.

I am also still wondering why Victoria has no outdoor pools while Vancouver has a ton.

We have better weaher so it would seem that we should have at least couple in comparison to their five:

I know what you mean, I lived right next to one when I lived in Edmonton. I never went swimming at Oliver pool, but it was insanely busy

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

We have an outdoor pool:

http://www.beaconhil...andalism_5K.jpg

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

^ That is not a pool.

#31 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

#32 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

There is an outdoor pool at UVic. Nice in summer.

Another more central would be great...how's about a retractible roof on our soon to be completed new Crystal Pool rec centre?

The gorge facility sounds nice. Anyone know why it shut? Water quality? Should be much better now.

#33 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

The trend in Victoria has been to eliminate outdoor pools, like the playground pools at Central Park and Beacon Hill Park.

Although I suppose they did add that playground pool at Carnarvon Park not too long ago. Or was that an old-style pool that they remodelled? I can never remember.

So is the old racquet club's pool the largest outdoor pool in Victoria? It's pretty small.

#34 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

Since the Y pool and Crystal Pool both need replacing, seems a no brainer that the city should supply funds to the Y for a full upgrade of the Y facilities. The Y could get a brand new pool and we could ditch the Crystal Pool altogether.
The Y is non-profit and serves the community better than any community group I know so this makes the most sense to me. If one of these locations had a world class pool, it would be redundant for bother to be in existence so close together.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Since the Y pool and Crystal Pool both need replacing, seems a no brainer that the city should supply funds to the Y for a full upgrade of the Y facilities. The Y could get a brand new pool and we could ditch the Crystal Pool altogether.
The Y is non-profit and serves the community better than any community group I know so this makes the most sense to me. If one of these locations had a world class pool, it would be redundant for bother to be in existence so close together.

I like this idea. A lot. :)

#36 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

and to re-coup some of the money or just use land more efficiently they could turn turn the crystal pool building area into housing. Would be a great spot for a co-op or something with some retail.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

^How about a density transfer scheme with the defunct Price's Alarm proposal across the street? Still, I think the Crystal needs to stay to service north Downtown/Hillside/Quadra.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

^How about a density transfer scheme with the defunct Price's Alarm proposal across the street? Still, I think the Crystal needs to stay to service north Downtown/Hillside/Quadra.

It also serves the area east of southeast Burnside / Gorge.

#39 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

The Y pool is the worst in the city (save perhaps Naden) - super narrow, super chlorinated and in an ancient building. Crystal would need to be replaced with a full 50 m pool with proper community multi-purpose rooms, weight room, child care, etc. The Y does the same, but is access limited to members - so replacing Crystal with the existing Y structure wouldn't work. Would need a whole new pool building - far bigger than the Price's alarm lot.
"I know nothing"

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:53 PM

^Yes the entire Y needs replacing. If the entire facility is rebuilt with partially with funds provided by the city, there would be plenty of room for a much bigger pool. The Y's footprint is large enough to house a very large pool. I picture an aquatic facility in the basement. Gyms, weight rooms, conference rooms and offices in the upper floors.

There's no reason a new Y pool couldn't allow non members. They do now. You pay a drop-in fee, just like any pool.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users