PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#541 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

Absolutely.  We've already come up with dozens of ways to make this work with much, much less taxpayer money, by building housing over it, for example.

• tedward and jonny like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#542 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

For a local government that claims to be all about consultation, they sure haven't engaged the public much in regards to creative solutions to the Crystal Pool "problem".

• spanky123, jonny and Cassidy like this

#543 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

Absolutely.  We've already come up with dozens of ways to make this work with much, much less taxpayer money, by building housing over it, for example.

Crystal clear as mud.

#544 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:39 PM

Looks like the City of Victoria might skip the referendum on Crystal Pool:

A referendum to borrow up to $69.4 million to replace Crystal Pool might not be needed if Victoria can tap into senior government grant programs.

“While external borrowing remains a potential part of the overall funding strategy, it may be possible to eliminate or significantly reduce the amount of external borrowing required,” city staff said in a report to council.

Thomas Soulliere, director of parks, recreation and facilities, said Thursday a referendum, that was being considered for this fall, is a requirement only if the city has to borrow funds.

#545 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:45 PM

A referendum to borrow up to $69.4 million to replace Crystal Pool might not be needed if Victoria can tap into senior government grant programs.

“While external borrowing remains a potential part of the overall funding strategy, it may be possible to eliminate or significantly reduce the amount of external borrowing required,” city staff said in a report to council.

Thomas Soulliere, director of parks, recreation and facilities, said Thursday a referendum, that was being considered for this fall, is a requirement only if the city has to borrow funds.

Yeah yeah, "government gronks"  "funding tragedy" ...it's blue bridge deja vu all over again.

#546 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

I think that Helps just wants to kick this down the road a few months until she announces that she isn't running for Mayor in January. Council knows that a referendum will fail so they will ultimately try and pull out all of the stops to fit the City portion within existing budgets.

• Nparker likes this

#547 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

100% it will fail. The fun times are over. The electorate is fuming mad and ready to pull the plug.

This referendum isn't so much about the costs to build something as it is about the CITY OF VICTORIA tax payer (not Saanich, not View Royal and not Colwood tax payers) finally having an opportunity to LEGITIMATELY weigh in on a major decision. The "we're hearing" or "we've been told" rhetoric that has directed policy over the last 2.5 years has not represented the true sentiment of City of Victoria tax payers, and officialdom knows it.

I mean, when you have only several hundred people (people who may or may not be CoV tax payers) weighing in on multi-million expdentitures and plans and the mayor uses that input as a CLEAR and DEFINITIVE directive on policy you can be certain there will come a time when tax payers will have had enough. And the referendum was to have been that time, so of course our elected representives have no qualms over robbing tax payers of that opportunity.
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#548 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

Re: Plans for Crystal Pool envision a community hub (vicnews.com, June 24)

What was missing in the details regarding a new Crystal Pool was a discussion about parking. There is a real opportunity here to address a serious shortage of parking for the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre and Royal Athletic Park, as well as for a new Crystal Pool.

In addition, the intersection of Quadra and Pembroke streets is a short walk to downtown and to many government offices that are even closer. Is the City of Victoria making any plans for several levels of underground parking at the new Crystal Pool or is this going to be an opportunity wasted?

The mayor and councillors have demonstrated no bounds when it comes to cycling infrastructure, but where is the investment in infrastructure and parking for all the green electric cars that are coming in short order?

Trevor Amon

Victoria

http://www.saanichne...a-pool-project/

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#549 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

30 years is a long time to wait for those cars, though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#550 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

Did we learn from bridge mistakes?

There are two more large-scale projects coming down the line — the new sewage plant and replacement of the Crystal Pool.

The City of Victoria is responsible for the latter, and the signs to date are not encouraging.

Talking about the bridge, Mayor Lisa Helps had this to say: “I’m not going to look backward on this one … I want to look forward.” But how can you avoid a second fiasco if you avert your gaze from the first?

Then there is the mayor’s puzzling stance on the referendum required to finance the Crystal Pool.

Most of the funds required — $69.4 million — will have to be borrowed.

Residents of the city are to be asked in a referendum if they approve a loan.

But the mayor, who backs the project, doesn’t want to take sides in the referendum. She says: “My feeling is that the referendum should be for and by the public, that the city should not champion any side.

It’s overstepping our job to spend money or time promoting one side or the other.”

So you’re for the pool, but you’re not taking sides on the only option for financing it?

http://www.timescolo...akes-1.20900534

#551 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

City of Victoria is claiming on Twitter that 20% of people can't access Crystal Pool due to physical barriers. Is this true or false?

Crystal Pool on Twitter.png

#552 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

City of Victoria is claiming on Twitter that 20% of people can't access Crystal Pool due to physical barriers. Is this true or false?

Does being too lazy to walk 250 metres count as a physical barrier? I suppose this is more of a mental barrier. I trust the city will ensure any replacement facility is more accommodating to my psychological needs.

#553 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

Does Crystal Pool have a lift? Been a while since I've been there. That wold knock a whole ton of people out of contention from using that pool.

#554 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:28 PM

Oh, I suppose it might be about right.  But it does not mean those 20% will start using it when it gets the lift/access or whatever.  Remember, most people in Victoria never use the Crystal Pool.  I have not swum in it in at least 30-35 years.

• Nparker likes this

#555 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

...Remember, most people in Victoria never use the Crystal Pool...

And as previously reported, some Victorians can use the existing facility but are simply too slothful to make the effort.  :rolleyes:

#556 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

And as previously reported, some Victorians can use the existing facility but are simply too slothful to make the effort.  :rolleyes:

Or they are simply not interested.  I'm not a big swimming fan, really.  I'd rather play a team sport (not water polo) or go for a run.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 July 2017 - 01:43 PM.

#557 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:24 AM

crystal pool does have lifts, but lifts are slow, your dependent on trained staff and they are not the most easily accessed thing, i do get there is mobile issues.. to get TO the change rooms you have to go through a set of stairs (both mens and womans side, there is a motorized lift there), you also have a sizable amount of stairs to get to the shallow pool, and stairs to get into the shallow pool(though the lift for this MIGHT just drop right into the pool, i've never seen it in action, it's attached to the ceiling), they do have a lift to get into the large pool too..but in the years i've been going to crystal pool i'm not sure if i've ever seen the pool lifts in use!

though, i do know someone who is mostly wheel chair bound that uses crystal pool on a very regular basis (more then once a week) so it can be done, i've also seen a younger wheel chair bound child use the pool regularly (had lessons the same time my child did) and they accessed the pool through a side door from outside (one that goes directly through their "team change room/first aid room" )

now is the mayor saying this due to physical disabilities.. or just restrictions over lack of family/universal change room because that can be looked at as a barrier (mother taking her 8yr old boy for lessons but doesn't want to send the 8yr old boy through the change room on his own yet, those who wish more privacy, those who don't feel like they call into "mens" or "womans" categories-person transitioning)

#558 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:48 AM

Twice we've visited the public pool in Garmisch, Germany. The change room is excellent. It's one huge room with lockers around the perimeter. About three feet away are rows of cubicles with a door on each side. You go in one door, get changed, then open the other door and there are the closest lockers for you to choose from. Everbody uses the same change room. Floors are heated too!

• lanforod likes this

#559 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:07 AM

Twice we've visited the public pool in Garmisch, Germany. The change room is excellent. It's one huge room with lockers around the perimeter. About three feet away are rows of cubicles with a door on each side. You go in one door, get changed, then open the other door and there are the closest lockers for you to choose from. Everbody uses the same change room. Floors are heated too!

That's what I'm thinking, why can't change rooms have the equivalent of bathroom stalls for changing?  Then we do not need sex/gender(?) segregated ones at all.

#560 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:37 AM

That's what I'm thinking, why can't change rooms have the equivalent of bathroom stalls for changing?  Then we do not need sex/gender(?) segregated ones at all.

Because someone, at some point, will feel offended or hurt or insecure or irritated or marginalized or uncomfortable or spiritually maligned or psychically perturbed at the lack of safe spaces offered in a public facility.

• LJ likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users