PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#561 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:41 AM

The cubicles would be the safe spaces. There is no need to segregate where the lockers, sinks, blow dryers are. There would need to be a rule that all changing must take place in the cubicles though. No 70 yr old men changing in the open area.

#562 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

Makes sense to me.  I'm sure there is a fairly healthy proportion of the population that neither wants to be naked around others, and/or wants to see naked people around them.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 July 2017 - 07:48 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#563 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

That's what I'm thinking, why can't change rooms have the equivalent of bathroom stalls for changing?  Then we do not need sex/gender(?) segregated ones at all.

This is basically the definition of family change rooms in Canada. An open locker area that has individual change rooms within it, as well as individual shower/toilet stalls.

Almost all new facilities are built with at least three change rooms...men's/women's/family.

The men's and women's ones still make sense, because having an individual change stall in addition to an individual shower room with a toilet takes up a ton of space. Whereas having a bank of urinals/toilets and a gang shower takes up a lot less space.

• Nparker likes this

#564 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

Looks like the City is proceeding with the hiring of a project manager to oversee construction of Crystal Pool. https://bids.victori...-opportunities/

I wonder if this means that Helps is no longer interested in a referendum.

#565 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

Description: The City of Victoria is requesting proposals from qualified Project Managers with the relevant expertise and experience to act as Project Manager for the Crystal Pool & Wellness Centre Replacement Project on behalf of the City.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#566 erase

erase
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

Description: The City of Victoria is requesting proposals from qualified Project Managers with the relevant expertise and experience to act as Project Manager for the Crystal Pool & Wellness Centre Replacement Project on behalf of the City.

i spoke to a city employee the other week when they had a tent up at oaklands market and i was told they were now hopeful that they could get the pool funded by the feds via some upcoming spending (thus negating the need for a spending referendum). perhaps the project manager is needed to get their grant applications all sorted out and applied for.

Edited by erase, 23 August 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#567 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

Looks like the City is proceeding with the hiring of a project manager to oversee construction of Crystal Pool.

Sounds like the perfect job for Gordon Wilson.

• VicHockeyFan, spanky123, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#568 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

i spoke to a city employee the other week when they had a tent up at oaklands market and i was told they were now hopeful that they could get the pool funded by the feds via some upcoming spending (thus negating the need for a spending referendum). perhaps the project manager is needed to get their grant applications all sorted out and applied for.

Ah, very good.

Let's just hope that the monies they receive from the feds are enough to cover the cost, unlike the $21 million Ottawa gave for the Johnson Street Bridge (which initially covered 1/3rd of the cost) but ended up covering just 1/5th (and could drop to 1/6th once we learn of the total cost for the fendering and overruns yet to be determined).

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#569 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

Why have we decided that a new pool should go more or less exactly where the old one was?  I think a new pool might be better at Topaz Park.  And then housing plus an an all-weather lighted field at the Crystal site.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 August 2017 - 02:03 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#570 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

Why have we decided that a new pool should go more or less exactly where the old one was?  I think a new pool might be better at Topaz Park.

I'm pretty sure some annoying bozo forumer has made that point before in this thread. There's no necessary reason why a new aquatic centre needs to be at Central Park. There's also no necessary reason why the city proper should have one and only one massive and singular aquatic centre. Two smaller community facilities at two different sites might have served Victorians better.

• Bingo likes this

#571 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

Not to suggest that "serving Victorians better" has ever been a principle or anything.

#572 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

Looking back, the other missing option was to do a basic refurbishment of the 50m Crystal Pool and then build a great community facility with a smaller pool somewhere else. The refurbishment/replacement of the 50m pool can be regarded as an issue apart from the extensive new dry-floor spaces that the city is so keen on building, is my point.

These sorts of conspicuously bundled and conspicuously absent options are pure politics. They have the reek of decisions that have already been made. Hey, do you want to give blankets to the orphans and also launch World War 3? No? So you don't want to give blankets to the orphans? You don't care about the orphans?

• Nparker, GaryRanson, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#573 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

I'm pretty sure some annoying bozo forumer has made that point before in this thread. There's no necessary reason why a new aquatic centre needs to be at Central Park.

I hear what you're saying. I think you might make a good Project Manager. 

#574 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

I had heard that there were various plans to pull funds from other sources to try and avoid a referendum (which they know they will lose). Defeats the purpose of a referendum in the first place which is for citizens to vote whether they trust Helps and City staff with their $69M and whether all options were fully vetted fairly.

#575 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

I think you might make a good Project Manager.

Project managers need to be able to get people to cooperate. I don't have the knack. As I often say, a guy could be on fire but I wouldn't be able to convince him to jump into a swimming pool.

#576 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

Get the bridge guy, he will be available within a couple of years.....

• Mike K. likes this

#577 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

Get the bridge guy, he will be available within a couple of years.....

Why can't he do both at once? $30K x 2 a month sounds like a fair price?

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#578 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

As I often say, a guy could be on fire but I wouldn't be able to convince him to jump into a swimming pool.

I don't sense you are the pushy type.

• aastra likes this

#579 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

“The long and short of it is that we need two swimming pools. We need the 25-metre pool that the Y is planning to build and we need a 50-metre pool that the city is planning to build,” Helps said.

From Times-Colonist...

I have to give her a thumbs up for "the long and short of it".

• thundergun likes this

#580 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

From Times-Colonist...

I have to give her a thumbs up for "the long and short of it".

You don't need a 50 meter pool for recreation, only for competition. We have one of those already.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users