Photo

Victoria "wins" CFIB rating for most over-spending city.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:22 PM

Not exactly "mismanaged". Terrible estimates and lack of planning I would agree with. The problem is there's no recourse. Just keep paying and paying.

They had professional consultants working on this and it appears they ignored most of the data because as we all know politicians know more than the experts which means they only have to listen to the ones that tell them what they want to hear

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

Ya, that's fair. But the CFIB is what it is.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:41 PM

Ya, that's fair. But the CFIB is what it is.

Couldn't Find an Impressive Balance

• Nparker likes this

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:12 PM

Now it's her turn to put forward her agenda and deflect.  Costs up because homeless issue downloaded by Prov and CRD.

Every major City has issues with homelessness. It is not just a Victoria issue. The simple fact is that our wages and costs are increasing at rates far higher than inflation. We all know that and many of us have stated that time and time again year after year.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:24 PM

Every major City has issues with homelessness. It is not just a Victoria issue. The simple fact is that our wages and costs are increasing at rates far higher than inflation. We all know that and many of us have stated that time and time again year after year.

Oak Bay, Saanich, Central Saanich, North Saanich, Sidney, Esquimalt, View Royal, Colwood, Langford, Metchosin, Sooke and Highlands have minimal or no issues with homelessness.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

Mike K., on 04 Nov 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

When you have a government that only sees spending as the solution to every problem, you get what we have.

Yesterday on CFAX Councillor Alto was saying that perhaps Victoria should look at charging a fee or a tax for an out-of-town real-estate buyer. She alluded to the issue of empty condos, as elusive as they are, but that supposed issue has given rise to the idea that if we tax foreigners, at least we'll get some more spending money for affordable housing.

So basically anyone that moves to Victoria should pay more for a house than someone who lives in Victoria? How ridiculous is that? You would just slow down your population growth, which is your tax base, makes no sense. And how far out of town, Colwood, Oak Bay?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:10 PM

So basically anyone that moves to Victoria should pay more for a house than someone who lives in Victoria? How ridiculous is that? You would just slow down your population growth, which is your tax base, makes no sense. And how far out of town, Colwood, Oak Bay?

\

No, this is only the stuff that Victoria City councillors mull over.  The other 12 places, they have better stuff to do.

#48 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:13 PM

^No, I meant is someone from Oak Bay "out of town" and have to pay more if they want to move into Victoria.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

^No, I meant is someone from Oak Bay "out of town" and have to pay more if they want to move into Victoria.

No.  Councillor Alto suggested it would just be foreigners.  Non-Canadians.  

#50 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

That would be mismanagement.

Lol I meant the taxpayers.

#51 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:39 PM

Oak Bay, Saanich, Central Saanich, North Saanich, Sidney, Esquimalt, View Royal, Colwood, Langford, Metchosin, Sooke and Highlands have minimal or no issues with homelessness.

If those places handed out cash to attend a meeting it would help, otherwise Victoria is the place to hang out until the next handout.

• Mike K. likes this

#52 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:52 AM

It's no secret that CoV jobs pay well above the average - including compared to similar jobs in the provincial and federal public service

Just look at the union salaries listed in advertised in job postings, or the city financial statements for excluded positions above 75k.

Managers - $100k+

Senior planners - $90k+

Project coordinators - $75k+

Some of these salaries are $10K above other public service jobs in BC

This is absolutely the case and the root issue here. Accounting clerks and clerical staff with minimal education and experience are consistently paid $10-15k more than comparable positions elsewhere. The number of directors and managers making well over $100k is shocking for such a small city. The GM of the dinky little, money losing, Victoria Conference Centre pulls in nearly $200k, for instance.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

The GM of the dinky little, money losing, Victoria Conference Centre pulls in nearly $200k, for instance.

Right.  And what does the Empress Hotel GM, next door pull in?  Probably not quite that much, and he has a staff at least 20x larger, and events and goings-on every single day.

#54 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

They were not being compared in the survey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users