amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

is there really no thread for butchart's? :huh:

Butchart Gardens steps up for fishway project
Jeff Bell / Times Colonist
November 8, 2015 06:00 AM

The Butchart Gardens has funded a fishway around the Tod Creek dam, located just outside its borders, with the hope it could restore the creek as a salmon-spawning waterway within five years.

“The time just became right to undertake it,” said general manager Dave Cowen. “We certainly have an interest in the environment around us.”

The dam, which dates to the early 1900s, is owned by Butchart Gardens. It is inside what is now Gowlland Tod Provincial Park. The gardens use the dam in its irrigation, but it originally supplied water to cement works at Tod Inlet.

The fishway is designed to help coho salmon and cutthroat trout as they travel upstream to spawn.

http://www.timescolo...oject-1.2106490

#2 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:49 AM

is there really no thread for butchart's? :huh:

http://www.timescolo...oject-1.2106490

There probably is but the search feature sucks.

• Matt R. and nagel like this

#3 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:41 PM

IMG_4235 (3).JPG
@Butchart Gardens

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:44 AM

I think we touched on this the other day in another thread.

These people were recently turned away from Butchart's Gardens because of their dress/costume.

http://www.thisvictorianlife.com/

edit: http://www.thisvicto...h-better-places

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:55 AM

I'm frankly surprised the TC ran this article.  BG is a major advertiser.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:09 AM

I get the idea behind the rule (nobody wants a giant Elmo walking around) but it's a bit of a stretch to say that Victorian dress is a costume.  More like ridiculously quality clothing...

But obviously there's nothing that bars a private business from having a silly policy like this.

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:17 AM

^^ Don't worry, the author will get fired like last time :-)

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:18 AM

But obviously there's nothing that bars a private business from having a silly policy like this.

I actually think they might have a reasonable chance at a human rights complaint.  Although I think those tribunals are stupid.

You can not discriminate on the basis of religion or culture.  Even a "private business".   

A couple former workers say that the main thrust of the policy is to keep wedding photography out, excpe at permitted times.  One said that a wedding party even went in in street clothes, then changed in the bathrooms into the wedding gear to try to take photos.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

So at what point since June 30th and now did they add this bit to the website?

bg.JPG

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:40 AM

Ha ha, classic Wayback bust!

• Matt R. and todd like this

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

I think we touched on this the other day in another thread.

These people were recently turned away from Butchart's Gardens because of their dress/costume.

I guess our annual clod-hoppers ball at the gardens is cancelled.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:37 PM

Story goes national (Post).

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:19 PM

The Gardens have issued a sort of non-apology on their website.  They should have just probably left it alone.  But I'm sure it's a wash as far as business is concerned.  It'll be over in a day or two.

https://www.facebook...ardens/?fref=ts

#14 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

Nevermind that the chances of that account being accurate is about zero.   The way she writes....  I'd kick them out of a business too if I had one.

Fanatically devoted to a Victorian lifestyle to the point where being asked to take off a hat is grave insult.  And yet they blog and are on social media and write books.  Hilarious.   This was a great strategy to drive traffic to their blog though.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 16 August 2016 - 07:48 PM.

• Nparker, tedward and theboss like this

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:03 PM

...Fanatically devoted to a Victorian lifestyle to the point where being asked to take off a hat is grave insult.  And yet they blog and are on social media and write books....

That was my thought as well. If she really was devoted to her Victorian "lifestyle", her "blog" would consist of handwritten letters (using a fountain or quill pen) sent in an envelope with a 2 cent stamp addressed to the editor of her local paper.

#16 theboss

theboss
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:04 PM

I was sent her blog a couple days ago and as soon as I read it over it stank of B.S.

No, CVS is not the only way to get to the Gardens and no, CVS does not leave directly in front of the ferry terminal. 

If you can't even get these basic facts straight I would have serve doubts over anyone's story when they are trying to smear a company. 

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:16 AM

The Gardens have issued a sort of non-apology on their website.  They should have just probably left it alone.  But I'm sure it's a wash as far as business is concerned.  It'll be over in a day or two.

https://www.facebook...ardens/?fref=ts

I've never been a fan of the apology that uses part of the policy defence as "see, everybody else does it too!"

While they cite three or four places in the world that have the policy, they do not cite the 1000's of attractions that have no such policy and seem to get on just fine.

• http likes this

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:17 AM

Now it's a CBC story...

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...rules-1.3723106

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:34 AM

I'm frankly surprised the TC ran this article.  BG is a major advertiser.

Ah ha!

They've covered themselves with a quickly written editorial in support of the Gardens.

http://www.timescolo...rdens-1.2324122

Editorial: Couple in Victorian clothes a distracting note at Butchart Gardens

#20 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:31 AM

To be fair they do look like costumes, and they are. But I would say it those outfits are very fitting to an extreme with Butchart Gardens. I don't see why you can't dress up at Butchart Gardens I'm all for a couple of Elmos maybe a Zeus.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users