Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#581 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

These things usually have a trickle down.

Del Manak is covering for Elsner, so somebody is covering for Del Manak, and somebody else is covering for the guy /galwho is covering for Del Manak. I doubt this has created a vacancy somewhere. They’ll substitute people up to get them experience, and it’s not like you can operate without a Deputy Police Chief for months and months.

#582 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

No only that, but considering the volume of assaults against cops in recent months, how many are taking overtime to fill in the gaps as others recover or take leave?

How many resources are going to damaged vehicles, damaged facilities and added expenses of dealing with hardcore drug addicted criminals? This is not without costs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#583 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

The car allowance might include gas and a mileage allowance.

#584 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

The next deadline for the OPCC to rule on Elsner's various complaints is this Thursday. Any bets as to whether they seek another extension? You would think that the police were out on Oak Island searching for the Templar's hidden treasure! It has taken more than a year to investigation one police chief sending a handful of text messages to one person!

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#585 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

FFS:

http://www.timescolo...lsner-1.8884350

Deadline extended again for investigations of Victoria Police Chief Elsner

• Jill likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#586 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

No surprise. The investigation team doesn't seem to be in any rush to sort this out. 64 hours of interviews and 300 pages of 'evidence' in 13 months isn't going to result in too much overtime. Hinkson isn't in any rush as he still hasn't ruled on either of the applications in front of him. The first case is about to enter its fifth month since the hearing ended. The police board isn't in a rush to stop paying Elsner his legal fees, salary, benefits, or vacation pay.

To bad the taxpayer isn't able to take the same lazy approach to any of these bills.

• Daveyboy likes this

#587 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:13 PM

For better or for worse it appears as though this affair is wrapping up. The supreme court docket on the Elsner case has disappeared from the court services site, both the VicPD and OPCC websites have removed several of the documents related to the Elsner complaint and Frank has started blogging (https://www.linkedin...lsner-85314912a) about his (my interpretation) distaste for boards who lack the conviction to follow through on their commitments and how the future is in providing security consulting services to the pot industry! On top of that it is hard to believe that the Liberal political machine would nominate as a star candidate, Barb Desjardins, unless they knew in advance that nothing would come of the lawsuit and complaints against her.

The OPCC is expected to released it's long delayed report next week and they have probably run out of extensions by now. It is hard to get a read on what the report will say and I hope that I am wrong, but I doubt that there will be any bite. Based on what we are seeing, I would expect that shortly after the report is released the Mayors will announce that they have reached an agreement with Frank for him to leave as chief and that they have signed a confidentiality agreement and can't discuss any of the terms. I then expect that Judge Hinkson will state that with the chief gone it is no longer in the public interest and he will deny the media lawsuit for additional documentation and seal what has already been made public. Finally Elsner will then drop his lawsuit against Helps and Desjardins and cease his fight on the investigation.

I really hope that we didn't just waste a huge amount of time and money on this but it isn't shaping up well for those who are looking for some answers to what has happened.

• Sparky likes this

#588 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

CFAX is reporting that Elsner has filed some more paperwork with court.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#589 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

Might need more that a few boxes of kleenex.

#590 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

From what I can tell, the report from the OPCC was due today and there has been no extension granted.

#591 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

Since it doesn't appear as though any extension was either requested or granted, Elsner would have 10 business days to review the report from the investigator. During this time he could either accept the report or request further investigation. If Elsner requested further investigation then this could bounce back and forth a few times taking up to another 25 business days. If the investigator found misconduct and Elsner did not request further investigation or if that further investigation was refused, then the PCC would have up to 40 days to convene a disciplinary hearing. This is my understanding of the police act.

As I mentioned earlier, the Elsner file does not appear to be searchable on court services online anymore so I can't determine if and why he filed paperwork with the court. If that is true, it would stand to reason that the investigator found misconduct and that Elsner is either trying to have the court require further investigation or the judge to rule on the earlier request to toss the case in its entirety. We are paying Elsner's legal fees so he might as well push this as far as he can if he doesn't like a decision.

Edited by spanky123, 26 February 2017 - 10:42 AM.

#592 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:34 AM

Hinkson has ruled on Elsner's publication ban request. In a nutshell, the judge has deferred most of the items until he has ruled on Elsner's petition regarding the search of his Twitter account and electronic devices.

https://dropfile.to/zEBRNpB

#593 Jenn P

Jenn P
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:01 PM

Absolutely no media coverage as far as I can see. You'd think this might warrant some sort of update surely.

#594 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

Absolutely no media coverage as far as I can see. You'd think this might warrant some sort of update surely.

I don't blame the media here. The case file is no longer available through the court registry system so you really have to go looking for these documents. The decision by Hinkson on Elsner's sealing request doesn't really give much more detail than we already have although it is interesting that the judge is leaning towards denying the motion to seal the Twitter exchanges and the names of the officers pending his review of the process issues.

#595 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

Lawyer Mike Mulligan is following closely, I think he might bring some info to CFAX this week.

#596 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:42 PM

Lawyer Mike Mulligan is following closely, I think he might bring some info to CFAX this week.

Desjardins was on CFAX today talking about the 911 system and she was asked about Elsner. She said that Elsner has filed a motion with the court related to the OPCC. She refused to comment further other than to say how upset she was about the process and how long it was taking.

Guess what. As long as we are paying the Chief his salary and paying for him to retain lawyers to file any motion or writ he wants then of course this is going to take as long as it possibly can.

#597 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

Suspended Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner says he wants to resign so that he can take care of his health and try to move on with his life.

“I have experienced a great deal of stress and anxiety as a result of the various investigations, which has worsened as they have dragged out,” Elsner said in an affidavit filed in B.C. Supreme Court.

“I am under the care of a doctor, who I meet with once every few weeks. I have had to start taking an anti-depressant and my doctor is highly concerned about my blood pressure.”

In the document, Elsner said he was “shocked” at being suspended and devastated at the impact of a probe into allegations that he sent inappropriate Twitter messages to the wife of a subordinate officer and harassed female employees.

He said he is “deeply troubled” by delays in completing an external probe launched by the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.VPtXBd3Z.dpuf

#598 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:15 AM

^Great now we have to pay this guy's Long Term Disability for the rest of his life?
  • GaryRanson likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#599 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:38 AM

According to the police act, Elsner would have received a copy of the investigators report on Friday along with Helps and Desjardins in their capacity as chairs of the police board. Hardly a surprise that they are trying to circle the wagons now. Obviously Elsner felt the report didn't favour him. 

So this is where our Mexican standoff comes to a head. It appears as though we had the OPCC dragging its heels waiting for Hinkson to rule on Elner's motions and Hinkson waiting for the OPCC to release its report before he ruled on the motions. Hinkson has had 3+ months to review the petition so you would think that he has his mind made up. Elsner can't make the case go away by simply resigning so it appears as though he is floating the idea that he is willing to resign if this is wrapped up. 

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall during these next steps. 

As far as Elsner is concerned I am not too worried. Even though the TC makes it sound like he is an emotional wreck, he is very active on linkedin and with his blogging which is usually a pretty good indicator that someone is lining themselves up for work. I wonder if he has signed up any pot consulting gigs yet?

• Rob Randall likes this

#600 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:45 AM

^Great now we have to pay this guy's Long Term Disability for the rest of his life?

He could go that route but then presumably he would have to declare any future income against his insurance payments. Much better plan would be to negotiate a lump sum payment along with his 'resignation pay' and then he can go to work the next day! 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users