Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#641 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

Just watched the Fifth Estate's story about KPMG and the Isle of Man tax dodge and wondered what Derrold Norgaard was doing these days.

#642 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

Just watched the Fifth Estate's story about KPMG and the Isle of Man tax dodge and wondered what Derrold Norgaard was doing these days.

KPMG documents filed in court — but not provided to the finance committee — show Bilodeau had signed up two multimillionaire clients in the first year of the Isle of Man scheme alone and that KPMG labelled his work a "success story."

There is also no mention of Mark Meredith, a KPMG lawyer said to have been involved from the beginning in helping to create the scheme, and Derrold Norgaard, the KPMG tax partner who helped set up Isle of Man shell companies for the prominent Cooper family in Victoria.

Both Meredith and Norgaard are named in court documents as being involved in the KPMG scheme.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...sider-1.3615582

On Thursday the CBC reported, based on court documents, that Victoria’s Peter Cooper and his two adult sons, Marshall and Richard, signed up in 2000 for a KPMG tax product in the Isle of Man that targeted “high net worth” Canadian residents.

Court documents show that the Cooper family paid little or no tax between 2002 and 2010, yet received almost $6 million from an offshore company. KPMG, which is both a tax and auditing firm, says any money the Coopers received were “gifts” and therefore non-taxable.

Reached at his home in Victoria, Marshall Cooper told the CBC he was unaware of Canadian tax laws when he emigrated from South Africa in the mid-1990s and used the best people for advice.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.eVyZZ42J.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#643 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

Do you suppose the incorrect spelling was done on purpose?

On purpose or not the police board clearly has a credibility problem. Appointing someone with such strong ties to the pot industry and then mistakenly spelling the name and omitting the bio doesn't help that perception. 

#644 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

http://www.brdo.gov....p?Member=219771

http://bccancerfound...errold-norgaard

#645 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

Board make-up, bio.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#646 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

Interesting that if you look at the police board website it shows that last member as Derrold Nygaard with no bio. https://vicpd.ca/police-board

The member is actually Derrold Norgaard who is currently CFO of Green Sky Labs. http://www.greenskylabs.com/leadership. I am sure that readers can deduce what industry Green Sky is involved in.

Here's some info about Green Sky Labs...

http://www.kamloopst...greenareapart1/

#647 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

Here's some info about Green Sky Labs...

http://www.kamloopst...greenareapart1/

Derrold Norgaard, chief financial officer at Green Sky Labs Inc., said it has a tenant at the 10,000-square-foot metal-clad barn growing marijuana for two people under the MMAR rules. The company is acting as a landlord for the property, which it has a legal agreement to purchase.

According to land title documents, it is currently owned by AQ Holdings, registered to director Quan Anh Le. A phone number listed on AQ Holdings’ filings comes back to a Lower Mainland accounting firm. A person who answered at the accounting firm said it has no information on AQ Holdings and does not act as a mailing address for clients.

Green Sky said it is acting in an ownership capacity for the property, even though it is not listed on title.

“The tenant provides us with information on what’s happening there,” Norgaard said.

“I know what we have: A tenant that’s adhering to the rules.”

Norgaard said Green Sky currently provides third-party testing for licensed growers and has extraction technology for cannabinoids, a process it licences and is conducting in Amsterdam.

He said Green Sky has a provisional licence with Health Canada as an accredited marijuana lab.

It wants to build on that accreditation by becoming the province’s eighth authorized producer under the new rules instituted in 2013, with production at the Knutsford property as well as in Barriere.

“The town [Barriere] is quite comfortable with our program. RCMP is quite comfortable. Health Canada, I believe, will be comfortable with who we are,” he said.

While Norgaard said he is unaware of any relationship to what appears to be the larger grow operation next door, KTW contacted Green Sky by speaking with a man who appeared to be residing in a trailer next door.

The owner of the corner property is the operator of the former Floritto Eggs. Dawood Alibhai said his company — which lists son Amyn as a director (he is also a director on the B.C. Egg Marketing Board) — sold the next door property at 100 Edith Lake Rd. several years ago.

He said his tenant has a production licence and is insured. He acknowledged there is a connection with his tenant at Green Sky’s property next door but he does not know the exact nature.

#648 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

“The town [Barriere] is quite comfortable with our program. RCMP is quite comfortable. Health Canada, I believe, will be comfortable with who we are,” he said.

While Norgaard said he is unaware of any relationship to what appears to be the larger grow operation next door, KTW contacted Green Sky by speaking with a man who appeared to be residing in a trailer next door.

Sounds legit

#649 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:31 AM

^ At the very least I would hope that Mr. Norgaard is recusing himself from any police board meetings where pot shops and enforcement are discussed. If the article and speculation are correct, local pot shops could be customers of Green Sky either directly or indirectly and knowledge of police movements and potential enforcement actions would be a conflict of interest in my opinion.

#650 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

Police board is filing some type of thing to get more info on OPCC files on Elsner. Suspension with pay continues.

#651 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

We have an obligation to ensure this investigation runs smoothly and fairly until the time when our grandchildren are able to bring it to a satisfactory conclusion.

• VicHockeyFan, spanky123, Jill and 4 others like this

#652 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

^ At the very least I would hope that Mr. Norgaard is recusing himself from any police board meetings where pot shops and enforcement are discussed. If the article and speculation are correct, local pot shops could be customers of Green Sky either directly or indirectly and knowledge of police movements and potential enforcement actions would be a conflict of interest in my opinion.

Is Green Sky doing anything illegal?

#653 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

It appears Mr. Norgaard is also involved with the now defunct bid to bring the Juno's to Victoria in 2018.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#654 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Oh my...

#655 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

Is Green Sky doing anything illegal?

I am not a legal expert so I only post links to published information and let readers draw their own conclusions!

Edited by spanky123, 27 March 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#656 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:24 PM

Police board is filing some type of thing to get more info on OPCC files on Elsner. Suspension with pay continues.

Stalling tactic in my opinion. Hinkson still hasn't fully ruled on the two cases that he heard in September and November of last year. I guess that the police board saw the CFAX poll which stated 12% of the populace still thought they were credible and felt that number needed to be driven lower!

I do like the TC reporting style in this matter though. They print whatever Helps says knowing that it won't be true, and then immediately follow it up with comments that actually spell out the situation.

Edited by spanky123, 27 March 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#657 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

"The Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board is seeking a court order to obtain the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner’s final investigation report into suspended chief Frank Elsner."

"I can understand that they might want to see this," said Woods. "But there's a couple of problems, and one is that the two mayors were interviewed by the police and they could possibly be witnesses in any future proceedings that take place, whether it's a discipline proceeding or the potential of a public hearing."

This Victoria police board make up is way too incestuous with the governing crowd, IMHO It does not mix well with the marxist leadership at city hall. ;)

http://vancouverisla...probe-1.3342927

#658 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

^ The other problem is that the police act specifically states that the police board is not entitled to see the investigators report. The PCC can release information that it deems in the public interest but giving the investigation report in advance to potential witnesses would be foolish in my opinion.

So we have Helps making a big scene about disclosure and how mad she is knowing full well that the PCC is simply following the law.

Edited by spanky123, 27 March 2017 - 02:58 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#659 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

So we have Helps making a big scene about disclosure and how mad she is knowing full well that the PCC is simply following the law.

It's always her style to blame others.

• jonny, Love the rock, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#660 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

It's always her style to blame others.

And doesn't the PCC get that our Mayor is above the law??
  • A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users