Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#741 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

Looks like police board member Derrold Norgaard's company is trying to raise some money. https://www.slidesha...or-presentation

Interesting that they have partnered with FN to grow their pot and have a have a lab in Victoria for testing it.

BTW, this is why you don't use free file hosting / presentation services if you want to keep your documents private.

Edited by spanky123, 08 May 2017 - 10:20 AM.

#742 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:28 PM

I think that the hearing started yesterday but didn't necessarily finish. The OPCC has stated that at least some of the results of the hearing would be made public.

Still no word, I guess, on whether that hearing started, finished, determined anything, etc.

This thing drags on and on and on...

#743 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

Still no word, I guess, on whether that hearing started, finished, determined anything, etc.

This thing drags on and on and on...

The Province imposed a communications ban on all Government and quasi-Government entities in advance of the election. That is why BC Stats didn't release the March survey results last week as an example. I would expect an update from the OPCC shortly after the election unless Elsner is appealing the decision or has found another way it drag it out.

#744 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

The Province imposed a communications ban on all Government and quasi-Government entities in advance of the election. That is why BC Stats didn't release the March survey results last week as an example. I would expect an update from the OPCC shortly after the election unless Elsner is appealing the decision or has found another way it drag it out.

True, but there are exceptions to the blackout, e.g. OD stats were reported.

#745 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

Twitter reports that he has stepped down...
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#746 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

You have to wonder if a deal was cut and if so what the terms were. There has been no update from the OPCC on the hearing outcome so perhaps that was part of a bargain.

#747 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

I heard a rumor the other day from someone with friends in high places that he is resigning to take a security-type position with a marijuana company. I don't know what truth there is to it, but they did at least call the resignation...

#748 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

The wording of the press release is one heck of a doozy.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#749 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

I heard a rumor the other day from someone with friends in high places that he is resigning to take a security-type position with a marijuana company. I don't know what truth there is to it, but they did at least call the resignation...

There is no doubt he is planning to work in the pot industry. He has been blogging about it for the past 6 months. Wouldn't it be interesting if it turned out to be Green Sky!

Nevertheless the timing is interesting. Helps had mentioned previously that Elsner was trying to negotiate an exit. 

#750 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

Usually it is what the PR doesn't say that is key. For example it states that Elsner will no longer receive any pay or compensation but it does not state that he did not receive any payment or compensation in return for the change in status. The PR states that Elsner considers his employment to have concluded but it doesn't state that he resigned. That could mean that he considers that he has been terminated by the board through some sort of constructive dismissal.

I am sure that there is much more to come and that Helps will be telling us that sweeping everything under the carpet at this late stage is saving us time and money.

Edited by spanky123, 18 May 2017 - 10:51 AM.

#751 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

The Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board today announced that the employment relationship between Mr. Frank Elsner and the Board has been concluded by Mr. Elsner. 

Through his counsel, Mr. Elsner has advised that he considers his employment relationship with the Police Board to be at an end. The Police Board has concluded from this advice that Mr. Elsner has resigned from his position as Chief Constable of the Victoria Police Department. Effective immediately, Mr. Elsner will no longer receive payment of his salary, or other employment benefits as provided for under his employment contract. 

The Board will convene shortly to determine its next steps with regards to the selection and appointment of a new Chief Constable for the Victoria Police Department. 

https://www.vicpd.ca/node/1579

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#752 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

The OPCC won't negotiate terms of investigation for Police resignation. But they will stop investigations that are no longer considered in the public interest. Will be curious to see what they do here?

#753 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

Helps says they still have an "unresolved dispute/matters" between Elsner and the City.  

#754 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Helps says they still have an "unresolved dispute/matters" between Elsner and the City.  

Could mean that I am right about the constructive dismissal and/or that Elsner is still proceeding with his suit against Helps and Desjardins or a hundred other things. Helps needs to be more definitive.

#755 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

The OPCC won't negotiate terms of investigation for Police resignation. But they will stop investigations that are no longer considered in the public interest. Will be curious to see what they do here?

Or they may agree not to publicly disclose the outcome of their investigations which is within their purview.

#756 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

Statement from Elsner via his blog

With over 30 years in policing, today is my last day. I'm proud of the work I've done with my colleagues to make our communities better, healthier and safer. It's on to the next phase of my life.

Edited by spanky123, 18 May 2017 - 11:32 AM.

#757 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

Ok so listening to Helps on CFAX, this isn't over. As I speculated, Elsner has determined that the Police Board has not lived up to the terms of its employment agreement with him and thus he shouldn't be bound by it. Mayor Helps 'hopes' that this doesn't mean a 'massive lawsuit' against the City. Sounds like the dispute is over legal fees and indemnification.

http://www.iheartrad...oplay=1.2620964

The police board has hired a PR firm to handle communications and Helps has her own communications staff yet the board releases such a poorly worded PR that it takes all of 5 minutes to read through it and now she has to explain the situation. Does she really think so little of the populace?

Edited by spanky123, 18 May 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#758 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

With over 30 years in policing, today is my last day. I'm proud of nearly all work I've done with my colleagues to make our communities better, healthier and safer. It's on to the next phase of my life.

FTFY, Frankie.

#759 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

Elsner is into pot full time now:

https://www.linkedin...-mpa-85314912a/

#760 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

^ No surprise as he has been blogging about this for months and of course no benefit from his previous role and strict enforcement of pot policies!

It is going to be really interesting to see how the Feds handle regulation and taxation. This is about the tenth reference now I have seen to FN from pot companies and the primary driver behind that would have to be taxation (or lack thereof) as I have discussed before. You would have to think that the feds will need to enforce some type of packaging and labelling as they do with cigarettes to try and control distribution, or else set the tax rate so low that the benefit to non-licensed producers is muted.

Edited by spanky123, 22 May 2017 - 12:38 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users