Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#761 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

Victoria's former police chief says he plans to start providing security consulting services for the marijuana industry.

Frank Elsner resigned on May 18 following more than a year of investigations into allegations of misconduct involving female staff and the wife of one of his officers.

In an interview with CBC News, Elsner said he plans to stay in Victoria and is starting a firm called UMBRA Strategic Solutions. It will offer advice for businesses in the emerging legal cannabis market in Canada.

"This is an opportunity for me to move forward with my family. We don't want to move. This is our home," Elsner said.

"I think there is a need now for new voices, especially legitimate voices, to ensure that kids are protected, organized crime isn't part of the equation, and it becomes a legitimate business within our economy."

As Victoria's police chief, Elsner said he developed expertise around the budding marijuana industry. The City of Victoria chose to regulate and license dispensaries rather than force them to close.

As the federal government moves forward with legalization, Elsner said he expects everyone, from growers to distributors to municipalities will need advice on how to navigate the new law.

Funny, Kash Heed said today on CFAX that Elsner had moved back to Ontario.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4128497?cmp=rss

Of course, Kash Heed is also a marijuna consultant.

https://www.linkedin...01a21833/?ppe=1

http://www.metronews...consultant.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#762 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:16 AM

It's everybody else's fault he is in this mess in the first place.

Note to self. If you are going to accept the police chief's job.....don't.

#763 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:18 AM

The pathetic part is that he probably actually believes that.

• thundergun and 57WestHills like this

#764 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:33 AM

More from TC today:

Former Victoria police chief Frank Elsner has launched a cannabis security-consulting business and suggests the allegations that ended his policing career were the result of “bad blood” created by his efforts to change the culture of the Victoria Police Department.

Elsner said he was hired to “clean house” at the VicPD, and not everyone embraced his proposed changes.

“I was brought in to make the changes that were necessary and part of that was changing the culture of the organization from a reactive one to a proactive community-based one,” Elsner said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.S0DuoBR9.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#765 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

More from TC today:

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.S0DuoBR9.dpuf

Probably a good scoop opportunity for VV to get Elsner's side of the story. His 'supporters' have already claimed that Elsner was set up by others in the VicPD who wanted to take over his job. I am sure that he or his 'supporters' would have lots of other things to say given that they have very little to lose at this point. The TC isn't going to run any of this.

Edited by spanky123, 24 May 2017 - 09:15 AM.

#766 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:19 AM

Of course, Kash Heed is also a marijuna consultant.

https://www.linkedin...01a21833/?ppe=1

http://www.metronews...consultant.html

Of course he is. This is precisely the point I was making here last week. The number of people with strong political ties lining up is astounding. You think that campaign finance rules are problematic now, wait until the Liberals start raking in tens of millions of dollars a year now that they control distribution and who gets to 'play'. 

#767 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

Of course he is. This is precisely the point I was making here last week. The number of people with strong political ties lining up is astounding. You think that campaign finance rules are problematic now, wait until the Liberals start raking in tens of millions of dollars a year now that they control distribution and who gets to 'play'. 

The Federal Liberals?  I thought they were going to leave most stuff up to the provinces...

#768 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

To some extent he has a point. He was told by Helps and Desjardins that the issue was resolved and behind him. In return he agreed to the investigator's report and findings. Had he known from the get go that the OPCC would get involved he would have lawyered up at the start and subsequent allegations and investigations would likely never have happened and this would have been over with long ago. Now the outcome may have still been the same, but he would at least have had resolution. He could have Weinered up and admitted to an illness and then collected a pension and disability for the next 20 years!

Edited by spanky123, 24 May 2017 - 09:25 AM.

#769 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

The Federal Liberals?  I thought they were going to leave most stuff up to the provinces...

I was referring to the Provincial Liberals. 

#770 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

You have to wonder if a deal was cut and if so what the terms were. There has been no update from the OPCC on the hearing outcome so perhaps that was part of a bargain.

I wonder if this whole business will just conveniently go away now. I feel like the public is owed some answers here, both about what Elsner did or didn't do and about why the city chose to continue paying him for so long.

I know the Mayor is probably eager that we should all just move on but we are owed an explanation or three.

#771 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

The Mayor is a MASSIVE fan of saying let's move on.
  • rmpeers likes this

#772 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:06 AM

Well the cynical viewpoint is that although the OPCC stated that the investigation into Elsner would continue, they did not re-iterate that the outcome would be made public (which is at their discretion). That may very well have been part of a settlement with Elsner.

Edited by spanky123, 08 June 2017 - 07:06 AM.

#773 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Cfax tweeting that OPCC seeking special investigation re. Vic police board....

Wonder what that's about?

#774 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

^ oh dear....that sounds nasty.

#775 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

Here we go...

http://vancouverisla...probe-1.3449949

#776 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

Note that the complaint was filed last year. Normally I would expect that it would be the (acting) Police Chief that would stand up for the interests of their department. Since we apparently don't have one of those I am glad that Staff Sargeant Laur at least did.

I wonder if this was tied to one of Del Manak's incremental budget requests that was apparently supposed to be used for extra policing and crisis support?

Edited by spanky123, 08 June 2017 - 04:44 PM.

#777 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

A little more perspective. Looks like the police board was made aware at least as late as April 11th that Laur had filed a complaint over misuse of funds. www.vicpd.ca/sites/default/files/board_documents/170411%20In-Camera%20Agenda.pdf

Not a lot of dots to connect here. The police board is siphoning funds out of the VicPD budget to pay for Elsner's legal fees and a media consultant that they had hired to deflect attention on the affair. At the same time, Del Manak is making a public request for $200K to fund 2 extra police officers for mental health support. (I wonder if by chance Elsner's legal fees were $200K) The board is then contacted by the ADM police services (Clayton Pecknold) about the complaint and thus stop paying Elsner's legal fees. With his legal fees cut off, Elsner alleges breach of contract and sends his notice in May. As an aside, it will now be Clayton Pecknold who determines whether an investigation is to be pursued.

More taxpayer money flushed down the toilet by a pair of incompetent idiots. I hope that anyone thinking of giving Helps money for a new pool, housing or the commonwealth games gives their head a shake.

Edited by spanky123, 08 June 2017 - 04:47 PM.

• Nparker, David Bratzer, Daveyboy and 1 other like this

#778 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

Darren Laur has been around forever. He is a good guy.
  • David Bratzer likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#779 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

Darren Laur has been around forever. He is a good guy.

He resigned last year. I wonder if it was related to this complaint and if he had first approached Del Manak with his concerns.

#780 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

I think he also started his own company but it could have been related. Who knows maybe it was his wife...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users