Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#821 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

The reality is that the details of the hearing will never be made public and even in the worst case scenario Elsner will never face any discipline since he has left the force. I doubt he even shows for the hearing.

If that's the case, I'd be more interested in seeing a wide-ranging inquiry, looking into everything bad about this whole mess: the mayors' responses, no oversight or supervision of official social media accounts, conflicts of interest etc. Like you say, I doubt Elsner will even get a slap on the wrist so I don't care about him now.

#822 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

What about the other aspects, e.g. allegation that funds earmarked for policing were used for a communications consultant to help manage the issue? Do you think we will ever hear anymore about that?

The PCC was on CFAX a few weeks ago and was asked about the issue related to funds. If I recall correctly, he stated that it wasn't really an area that the OPCC had jurisdiction over but they had sent comments to the police board and they never responded.

#823 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:24 AM

Heard a hearing finally took place (or at least started). Anyone else hear anything?

#824 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

Heard a hearing finally took place (or at least started). Anyone else hear anything?

It started and now has been adjourned until the end of November. CFAX reported that Helps is refusing to disclose who is paying for Elsner's legal fees as the matter is before the courts. I can't find any legal action that Elsner has initiated recently though.

#825 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:21 PM

It started and now has been adjourned until the end of November. CFAX reported that Helps is refusing to disclose who is paying for Elsner's legal fees as the matter is before the courts. I can't find any legal action that Elsner has initiated recently though.

Would disclosing the source of Elsner's legal funding put the entire case in jeopardy or interfere in Elsner's right to a fair hearing? There's a lot of taxpayer money involved here.
  • rmpeers likes this

#826 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:56 AM

Case now adjourned to January 15th. 

As I understand it, the case is being adjourned because Elsner does not have a lawyer. Elsner does not have a lawyer because he is disputing his legal fees with the Police Board. Members of the Police Board have been accused of lying to the public and trying to cover up sexual assault and harassment allegations within the department. The hearings might confirm or refute those allegations. As long as the fee dispute with Elsner remains unresolved, it appears as though the courts are willing to continue to adjourn hearings.

No conflict there.

#827 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

Interesting. So who knows if we will ever find out:
What, if anything, Elsner did wrong.
If the police board covered it up.
If the police board used funds meant for actual policing for a consultant etc.
How much the whole thing has cost taxpayers.

Did I miss anything?

#828 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

Well the Saanich portion will need to be public at some point. I think it's concluded but waiting for a disposition on the VicPD part. I'm not sure about that, though.

#829 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:23 AM

Any news on this? Thought I read that another hearing is underway, although it seems increasingly unlikely we will ever get the full story.

#830 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:28 AM

Hearing was supposed to resume Monday. It's now Friday and not a peep? Not a single word from any media outlet.

#831 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:41 AM

The hearing is closed, so probably not much to report.

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#832 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,473 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:09 AM

So he has found a lawyer, then?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#833 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

So he has found a lawyer, then?

He always had a lawyer, they were just arguing over who was paying. My guess is that the City ponied up.

#834 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

He always had a lawyer, they were just arguing over who was paying. My guess is that the City ponied up.

Oh, OF COURSE

#835 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,473 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:29 AM

I thought the issue was that he was unable to secure a lawyer? 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#836 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

I thought the issue was that he was unable to secure a lawyer? 

The issue, as stated by Elsner, was that his lawyer was appointed a judge and had to withdraw. fair enough, but it is not like she was the only lawyer in that firm. The bottom line, as I understood it, was the dispute over Elsner's legal fees and who was going to pay.

#837 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

I think it's a huge waste of Tax Payers money to further pursue any discipline actions towards the Ex- Chief of police of Victoria.

His forced dishonorable resignation I think is enough. All those years in the police, and he went out a total disgrace. Something that will be on his record forever. He will never be able to work in any form of policing again due to this record, and it is a lifetime stain on his character that is in permanent ink in the history books.

He has moved on now to something completely unrelated to policing, he has no affiliation with Vic Police Department,  and is completely detached from that line of work and has nothing to do with it any  longer, and I do wish him luck, regardless of the poor decisions he made as a police chief.

The public needs to keep in mind that all the facts were never given about the details of what actually went on while he sat as Chief. The back story of how angry and discontent Victoria Police officers were about yet another chief being hired from outside the department, instead of being promoted from within, and the lengths to which they would go to see the removal of Mr. Elsner as their chief......including setting him up.

#838 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

I think it's a huge waste of Tax Payers money to further pursue any discipline actions towards the Ex- Chief of police of Victoria.

His forced dishonorable resignation I think is enough. All those years in the police, and he went out a total disgrace. Something that will be on his record forever. He will never be able to work in any form of policing again due to this record, and it is a lifetime stain on his character that is in permanent ink in the history books.

He has moved on now to something completely unrelated to policing, he has no affiliation with Vic Police Department,  and is completely detached from that line of work and has nothing to do with it any  longer, and I do wish him luck, regardless of the poor decisions he made as a police chief.

The public needs to keep in mind that all the facts were never given about the details of what actually went on while he sat as Chief. The back story of how angry and discontent Victoria Police officers were about yet another chief being hired from outside the department, instead of being promoted from within, and the lengths to which they would go to see the removal of Mr. Elsner as their chief......including setting him up.

Well the "insiders" then certainly got what they wanted. Any time someone new comes in to any large organization there are people who have their feathers ruffled. Elsner should have known that (all he had to do is see what happened to his predecessors) and acted accordingly. Nobody forced him to allegedly flirt with an employee's wife. If the allegations are true, he was both careless and reckless and shouldn't have remained as chief in any event.

I think that lots of people would be interested in "what actually went on" and who was involved beyond the chief. Will you share?

#839 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

"I think that lots of people would be interested in "what actually went on" and who was involved beyond the chief. Will you share?"

Yes, I do have inside connections....and nope I can't share that information unfortunately.  Personally I think anyone who actually trains themselves to properly assess everything the MEDIA has printed on it from the very first day to the present day could easily put it together.

Did Elsner take the bait laid out in the trap for him?............YEP.

The trick you see, was that Elsner didn't realize that he was being baited from the very get go, and the entire fiasco was planned, and orchestrated. They would have got him one way or the other, it was just a matter of time.

Edited by Star Dust, 21 January 2018 - 11:00 AM.

#840 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

I don't know, are we going to allow a statement of the possibility the police chief was set up without some collaboration?

Edited by sdwright.vic, 21 January 2018 - 11:04 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users