Tesla Motors of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#21 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:23 PM

Not knocking the Tesla, it is a good car but have you seen the massive taxpayer funded subsidies they receive? There is simply no way they could compete without them

http://www.nationalr...ies-phil-kerpen

Edited by rjag, 17 December 2015 - 07:35 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#22 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:30 PM

Mike K., on 17 Dec 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

Although I'm not a fan of the designs of the vehicles and the gadgetry does nothing for me, I don't think we should discount a multi-billion dollar operation because it's not profitable immediate out of the door. It took billions to get to where they are. You can't just build an automobile technology in a basement, you need serious capital and some serious ingenuity. They've got all of that, and unless gasoline drops to $5/barrel the future are electric and/or hybrid vehicles for the masses.

I can also see Tesla being bought up by one of the Big 3, or a European auto conglomerate for hundreds of billions. That would open the distribution network thousand-fold and bring costs way, way down.

They made a mistake putting the gull wing doors on the new model, it cost them lots and the cool factor goes away pretty quick when you cant get out of your car in the parking lot.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

What kind of real life range do you get in it?

Driving in ECON mode about 140K in the summer and 125K in the winter.

This is working out fine for me ... my wife still has a RAV for out of town type trips, but we are finding we are using the leaf for most of our driving now, which has really cut down on our gas bill.

The 2018 Leaf is supposed to more than double that range, making it more practical for trips up island or to the mainland.

http://gas2.org/2015...200-mile-range/

#24 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

Not knocking the Tesla, it is a good car but have you seen the massive taxpayer funded subsidies they receive? There is simply no way they could compete without them

We charge an extra 0.4% PST on energy products that gets roughly dedicated to a clean energy fund. One of the things the fund does is provide rebates for purchases of electric vehicles. I think they're $5,000 each. So when Marko buys a Tesla, feel proud that through a form of reverse income redistribution, we are all chipping in.

#25 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

What do you do when you have to replace the battery in the Leaf?

Matt.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:32 PM

You get an account on UsedVictoria.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:39 PM

What do you do when you have to replace the battery in the Leaf?

Matt.

The warranty is 5 years, after that if it goes the replacement cost is around $7K.

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:29 PM

The warranty is 5 years, after that if it goes the replacement cost is around $7K.

Sounds expensive, but if you consider I've probably put 4x that worth of fuel through my car over the last 11 years... :o

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#29 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:19 PM

They made a mistake putting the gull wing doors on the new model, it cost them lots and the cool factor goes away pretty quick when you cant get out of your car in the parking lot.

They are "Falcon wing" doors. The whole point of them is so you CAN get out of your car in the parking lot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iWWkVWUxis

Edited by dasmo, 18 December 2015 - 06:22 AM.

#30 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:16 AM

Sounds expensive, but if you consider I've probably put 4x that worth of fuel through my car over the last 11 years...

Yes it does sound expensive, but that assumes the worst case where the battery actual needs to be replaced.

It also assumes a battery replacement using today's technology and prices ... given the leaps and bounds being made with battery technology this price may be cheaper and the replacement battery may be a lot more efficient and have a longer range. 

Also the overall cost of owning an EV is a lot cheaper as their is no regular oil changes, no transmission fluid flush, no spark plugs to be changed, etc, etc.

• rjag likes this

#31 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:05 AM

We charge an extra 0.4% PST on energy products that gets roughly dedicated to a clean energy fund. One of the things the fund does is provide rebates for purchases of electric vehicles. I think they're $5,000 each. So when Marko buys a Tesla, feel proud that through a form of reverse income redistribution, we are all chipping in.

i will look forward to a thank you card and a ride in it then....
  • nagel likes this

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

Yes it does sound expensive, but that assumes the worst case where the battery actual needs to be replaced.

It also assumes a battery replacement using today's technology and prices ... given the leaps and bounds being made with battery technology this price may be cheaper and the replacement battery may be a lot more efficient and have a longer range. 

Also the overall cost of owning an EV is a lot cheaper as their is no regular oil changes, no transmission fluid flush, no spark plugs to be changed, etc, etc.

All I can say about vehicle repairs/maintenance is nothing ever gets cheaper. If the battery technology is reduced in price, they'll have a more advanced variant available at $7,500 that you'll have to buy. The industry does nobody any favours.

This is coming from a guy who literally just this week spent $9,500 rebuilding the rear differential, the transmission and the rear breaking system on my truck/SUV as part of its midlife maintenance.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:40 AM

It will be interesting to see if Tesla survives as an independent manufacturer for much longer. Lots of mainstream brands are about to enter this very low selling arena and make waves.
Did you know that EV sales represent less than .25 of vehicle sales in Canada and approx 1/2 are purchased by public sector agencies. Very tight market, don't look at Victoria as being the norm when you see EV's on the streets

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:08 AM

You certainly see a lot now though. I would guess that the ownership is much higher in Victoria then other places in Canada however.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#35 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

Not knocking the FORD/CHEVY/BMW/ANY-GAS-OR-DIESEL-POWERED-MODEL, it is a good car but have you seen the massive taxpayer funded subsidies they receive? There is simply no way they could compete without them

There, I fixed it for you. :)

• rjag likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#36 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

There, I fixed it for you. :)

Haha very funny, did you read the article about how he makes money from selling carbon credits and not from cars.....And yes I do agree that there should be zero subsidies in the Auto sector and a special mention to Bombardier https://www.fraserin...te-welfare-trap

Edited by rjag, 18 December 2015 - 10:29 AM.

• tedward likes this

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

You certainly see a lot now though. I would guess that the ownership is much higher in Victoria then other places in Canada however.

For sure, which is why they are looking to Victoria to expand.

Know it all.

#38 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:13 AM

The carbon credits are there so why not. At least they are going to someone that is accelerating innovation in the EV domain. It ain't cheap reinventing the wheel. The more players in the game the more he sells his cars because he won't be viewed as alternative but rather best in class. Plus he will sell crisp loads of batteries....

#39 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

dasmo, on 18 Dec 2015 - 12:19 AM, said:

They are "Falcon wing" doors. The whole point of them is so you CAN get out of your car in the parking lot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iWWkVWUxis

No, your passengers in the back seat can get out, you can't, necessarily.

They are too expensive, complicated, prone to failure, and put a heavy load on the roof member which needs to be heavily reinforced.

If your car is in an accident, even a minor one, they have to go to a Tesla approved shop for repair and they are very expensive to fix.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#40 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:16 PM

What about the major negative externalites of ICE (internal combustion engine) cars where society has to pick up the tab?

Edited by MarkoJ, 18 December 2015 - 08:17 PM.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users