• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#221 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:16 AM

Victoria is actually extremely well placed in terms of entertainment venues, with Save-On able to deal with audiences up to around 8000+, the Royal able to accommodate just over 1450, the UVIC theater at around 1200, the McPherson Theater at around 800, and on down to the rather sizable number of smaller venues that can deal with anywhere from 50 to a couple of hundred patrons.

Selling more than 8000 tickets in Victoria for any event, regardless of who or what it is would be highly unlikely, but not totally impossible ... it might happen once every decade or so.

The next "rung" up the venue ladder from around 10,000 capacity is up around 30,000 to 50,000 (B.C. Place holds around 55,000 folks) ... and there's not many shows that can sell out a venue that size.

Likely the largest number of tickets sold to a single event in Victoria was the Commonwealth Games opening ceremonies, with around 35,000 paid ticket buyers in attendance.

#222 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

Selling more than 8000 tickets in Victoria for any event, regardless of who or what it is would be highly unlikely, but not totally impossible ... it might happen once every decade or so.

I think we have more than a sell-out a year at the arena.  Pink in the Rink at Royals could likely sell 10,000.  Dane Cook sold over 8,500.  Elton John sold over 8,000, 4 times so far.  Canucks blue/white would have sold 10,000.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#223 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:45 AM

The spring/summer music festival season draws a lot of acts out of arenas as well, so there's that consideration. Most mid-sized arenas like SOFMC are normally pretty quiet in the summer. I would suggest that most acts either stick to the major arenas/stadiums (Rogers Arenas/BC Places of the world) that they can sell out themselves, or just go to a festival where they can play to larger crowds. Here's a sample of similar sized venues to SOFMC.

- South Okanagan Events Centre in Penticton has one concert scheduled over summer

- Prospera Place in Kelowna has one concert scheduled over summer

- Abbotsford Centre has three concerts scheduled over summer

#224 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

I dunno last year there were 7 events in May to July and 6 in 2015.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#225 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:26 PM

I think we have more than a sell-out a year at the arena.  Pink in the Rink at Royals could likely sell 10,000.  Dane Cook sold over 8,500.  Elton John sold over 8,000, 4 times so far.  Canucks blue/white would have sold 10,000.

Sorry, I thought I'd framed my comment in relation to the need for a larger venue ... i obviously failed :)

My point was supposed to be that selling 10,000 tickets to one or two events a year doesn't automatically translate into the need for a 20,000 or 30,000 seat "new" venue.

I probably could have written that sentence a bit more clearly.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and tedward like this

#226 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

High-profile lot and building next to Save On Foods Memorial Centre is for lease. Almost $13k/mo. all in for the car lot and building.

MORE:

I say turn it back into Donut Maid!

#227 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

High-profile lot and building next to Save On Foods Memorial Centre is for lease. Almost $13k/mo....

...This is approximately a twenty-four month sub-lease with the current tenant...

Is something more significant planned for this location in 2 years time? I sure hope so.

#228 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:24 AM

Not according to that listing. The “right tenant” can stay.

#229 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

Not according to that listing. The “right tenant” can stay.

So a parking lot with a one-storey building is the best we can expect on such a high profile location for years to come? Oh Victoria.... :whyme:

• DavidSchell likes this

#230 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

I suppose the owner can apply for something new. But he seems to have has a string of car dealers that liked it for visibility.

#231 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

So a parking lot with a one-storey building is the best we can expect on such a high profile location for years to come? Oh Victoria.... :whyme:

But if private business saw the need they could buy the building and lot and redevelop.  Obviously they don't see the demand and/or financials to make it work.  How long has Gateway Green sat with approal for?  10+ years?

#232 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

I was just looked at the details, this is only for the corner lot and building and does not include the parking lot behind.  $13k/month for a 3000 sf building and 25 parking stalls is a lot of money and whoever leases this will have to do some serious business volume.  That is pretty hard to do selling cars

The total lot area is 11,880sf

#233 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

But if private business saw the need they could buy the building and lot and redevelop...

Hopefully they will. The current usage is dreadful.

• jonny likes this

#234 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:26 PM

I actually did a cover “sunglasses at depth” https://youtu.be/56HSPQHSqEE

#235 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

Dave Dakers, who helped to usher in a new Victoria era in hockey and concerts as president of RG Sports and Entertainment, has left the company.

Dakers was second in charge to Graham Lee, owner of RG Properties, now known as GSL Group. The company owns the Victoria Royals of the Western Hockey League and operates the City of Victoria-owned Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.

Dakers said he won’t comment on the reason for the departure.

The company released a statement: “We can confirm Dave Dakers has left the GSL Group. The GSL Group is thankful to Dave for his many years with the organization and wish him continued success in the future.”

sounds like some kind of bad blood.  too bad.

https://www.timescol...ving-1.24002591

for all its very considerable warts and underachievements and lack of "wow" the arena has been sufficient i guess.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 November 2019 - 09:34 AM.

#236 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:56 AM

for all its very considerable warts and underachievements and lack of "wow" the arena has been sufficient i guess.[/size][/font][/color]

:-) Yup. It has ice, it has seats!
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#237 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:13 PM

sounds like some kind of bad blood.  too bad.

https://www.timescol...ving-1.24002591

for all its very considerable warts and underachievements and lack of "wow" the arena has been sufficient i guess.

Depending on sufficient for who I guess. How much is the taxpayer having to subsidize the arena every year because the revenue generated from the lack of events is far short of what it could be.

#238 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:18 PM

FREE HOLIDAY SKATE - Friday, December 13

We're throwing a party!  Join us for a free, holiday skate that will feature hot chocolate, door prizes for kids and adults, snacks, live music, crafts & activities, and of course...skating!  Doors open at 6pm, and our ice time is from 6:30-7:45pm.

Free skate rentals, as well as helmets and skating supports will be available.

We are still confirming some of the details for this event, so "save the date" and check back here for updates!

• Midnightly likes this

#239 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:23 PM

The "modular parking" concept at SoFMC is back again.

...Staff confirmed it had prepared a detailed transportation and parking implications study that did look into modular parking as an option. The study has not gone to council, but staff said it will be put forward soon...

https://www.cheknews...-centre-635790/

This hints towards the use of the RAP lot as a location for a new Crystal Pool.

#240 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:28 PM

it's not like the arena is going anywhere.  not sure why a temporary parking structure is desirable.  i'm sure it wears out quicker than a concrete one.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users