Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11529 replies to this topic

#801 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

The only way this will truly work is to employ complete connectivity between every car on the road so they become like the Borg. When one detects an anomaly the info is communicated to the following vehicles so they respond in unison. much like train lines I think the first evolution will be restricted and dedicated travel lanes on interstates where robotic delivery trucks will do the long hauls to dedicated yards on city outskirts where humans will then take it the rest of the way.
Not unlike commercial airliners where humans intervene for the first and last 2 minutes and simply monitor the rest of the time

That only really addresses other vehicles. It doesn't deal with pedestrians, construction, cyclists, unicyclists, horse drawn carriages, or zambonis.

• rjag likes this

#802 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

The only way this will truly work is to employ complete connectivity between every car on the road so they become like the Borg. When one detects an anomaly the info is communicated to the following vehicles so they respond in unison. much like train lines I think the first evolution will be restricted and dedicated travel lanes on interstates where robotic delivery trucks will do the long hauls to dedicated yards on city outskirts where humans will then take it the rest of the way.
Not unlike commercial airliners where humans intervene for the first and last 2 minutes and simply monitor the rest of the time

We can drive just based on rules of the road and actual conditions.  No reason why a computer can't do the same.   We're not quite there, but getting within a few years of it.    

A linked autonomous network will help (for example, a car can flag black ice for other cars) but that is looking at going beyond the capabilities of human drivers, not matching them.  

#803 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

That only really addresses other vehicles. It doesn't deal with pedestrians, construction, cyclists, unicyclists, horse drawn carriages, or zambonis.

Agreed, thats why trains have their own infrastructure, I can see this as the initial first step, long haul trucking with a dedicated lane on the interstate or like those amazing c-trains running across Australia, when they reach a boundary then different rules apply. Automation in the macro scale is the first, I'm not sure if it will be adopted in the micro scale as easily. Look how poorly sales of EV's are even with all the incentives, yes as more EV's are introduced there will be more uptake, but it needs a gamechanger moment like the introduction of the iphone. Perhaps its when the mainstream cars actually look 1/2 decent....who knows?  

#804 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:45 AM

We can drive just based on rules of the road and actual conditions.  No reason why a computer can't do the same.   We're not quite there, but getting within a few years of it.    

A linked autonomous network will help (for example, a car can flag black ice for other cars) but that is looking at going beyond the capabilities of human drivers, not matching them.  

Yup, when they are integrated into the network and communicating between each other, imagine a light is about to turn red and a signal is sent out so that all the cars know to stop. No running the light. It sends chills up my spine as I love to drive and row the gears. I think I would have to join a track or buy a piece of property with lots of backroads  :)

#805 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

Yup, when they are integrated into the network and communicating between each other, imagine a light is about to turn red and a signal is sent out so that all the cars know to stop. No running the light. It sends chills up my spine as I love to drive and row the gears. I think I would have to join a track or buy a piece of property with lots of backroads  :)

You been on this track?  http://islandmotorsportcircuit.com/

Too bad they don't have drop in days.   $48,000 + $4800/year is a little steep.   

Edited by LeoVictoria, 14 February 2017 - 10:48 AM.

#806 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:51 AM

Rjag, it's insurance rates that will speed this along.
  • rjag likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#807 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

You been on this track?  http://islandmotorsportcircuit.com/

Too bad they don't have drop in days.   $48,000 + $4800/year is a little steep.   

Yup a couple times, I would love to have a drop in rate but think I would get bored quickly as they cant change it up, phase 2 of it will be restricted to high performance and mandatory training as speeds will reach 250-300kmh

• LeoVictoria likes this

#808 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:21 AM

So Tesla's latest self-driving update for its cars runs cyclists off the road! I take everyone I have said about self-driving cars back - they are in fact far smarter than I gave them credit for!

Chris Skaling 20 hours ago

I have AP2 tesla. Tested out the update this morning. It's HORRIBLE. Basically not usable.

Observations

1. Going through an intersection.. Yeah.. don't do that... Car stars to veer right heavily trying to find a right lane marker

2. Streets with right exit lanes...Yeah... don't do that... It will start to take that right turn lane then suddenly jerk back over into the lane you were in.

3. Road with a smooth 90 turn ahead? Yeah... don't do that... car won't decelerate or even take the turn... it sure does try though.

4. Next to a marked bike lane? Yeah... don't do that... seems to swerve into them.

5. General lane keeps overall just unpredictable

Edited by spanky123, 16 February 2017 - 07:58 AM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#809 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

Approaching 1000lbft of torque in the 100D

tesla-model-s-p100d-dyno-test.png

https://electrek.co/...us-torque-dyno/

#810 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:18 PM

Tesla Taxi just started in Kelowna.

https://www.kelownan...ets_of_Kelowna/

http://globalnews.ca...axi-in-kelowna/

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#811 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:24 PM

I really wanted to start a Tesla rental company a year ago but just did not have enough time to get it off the ground.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#812 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:02 AM

from usedvictoria

http://www.usedvicto...ernoon_28864230

Hello, I'm the author of a popular EV blog and YouTube channel that cover the Electric Vehicle market. Hoping some owners of EVs that I haven't driven yet will be willing to lend me your vehicle for an afternoon so that I can get driving impressions, record some video, and have material for my blog. While I have your vehicle you are certainly welcome to use my 2011 Chevrolet Volt. This is the current list of vehicles I'm hoping to drive:
1. Mitsubishi i-miEV
2. Smart EV
3. Chevrolet Bolt
4. Ford Focus EV
5. Volkswagen Golf EV
6. Audi A3 E-tron
7. Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
8. Tesla Model X
9. Volvo PHEV
10. Ford C-Max Energi
11. Ford Fusion Energi

My blog:
drwattsonev.blogspot.ca

My YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube....HK3OEYOQYAnU_AQ
As always I'm trying to help people with the transition to EVs, and the more vehicles I can cover the better. Send me an email and let's get this going!

Edited by sebberry, 05 March 2017 - 09:07 AM.
Fixed the YouTube link

#813 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

They have Tesla taxis in several European cities. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#814 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

I really wanted to start a Tesla rental company a year ago but just did not have enough time to get it off the ground.

Do we have any exotic car rentals here at all?  Other than the old roadster things at Ship Point?

EDIT:  I guess we do, although it looks like at least many of the cars are shared with Vancouver.

http://supercarrentals.ca/victoria/

EDIT2:  Well now the same cars show for Toronto, so I'm not really sure if this company even has any cars.

EDIT3:  They also have not blogged or even Facebooked since 2014, and provide no phone number.  I hereby declare them to be flakes.

This one in Vancouver looks legit.  They even have a Polaris Slingshot for $299/day.

slingshot-slr.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#815 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

A few months ago I stated that the biggest threat to self-driving technology was not technical but legislative. The fear that hackers could take control of your car and smash it into a wall was a real concern.

With today's wikileaks revelations that the CIA had explored technology to hack into cars which could have potentially been used for assassinations, the concept of a fully autonomous vehicle was just set back 20 years.

http://www.independe...s-a7616826.html

#816 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

The CIA has been able to covertly hack into your smartphone and listen to everything you say for years. How much did that fact set back the smartphone business?

#817 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

There was the mainframe, then PC's in a workgroup, then client server, then browser based apps for the desktop......but get the app for your phone.  HTML5 is so feature rich that you have to wish for luck getting it to be bug free across browsers and their versions. 

Back and forth and back and forth between the opposites we go...

Same with the cloud.  "On demand"....Cloud infrastructure....software as a service....serverless....Better hurry up and get on the cloud as we have about 5 years before it all comes in house again.  

My point?  Connect it to the internet and anyone has access to it.....not necessarily to do good.    

I'm going to make sure my kids know how to drive so they can save on insurance after we have a whole new meaning for "system crash"

Edited by On the Level, 07 March 2017 - 08:07 PM.

• sebberry likes this

#818 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:21 AM

The CIA has been able to covertly hack into your smartphone and listen to everything you say for years. How much did that fact set back the smartphone business?

Hackers can't kill you by hacking into your smartphone.

#819 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

... the concept of a fully autonomous vehicle was just set back 20 years.

I don't think so.

#820 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:52 AM

Hackers can't kill you by hacking into your smartphone.

Sure, just like we have airplanes falling out of the sky every day due to hacking.

Much easier to hire some flunky to run over someone with a car than to hack one.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users