Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11533 replies to this topic

#881 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

"Tesla has given the market a positive impulse, because they aren't saying that electric cars are about compromise and granola, they're saying the opposite, they are about power and excitement.  That is the correct way." -  Dieter Zetsche, CEO of Daimler

They are planning 10 electric models by 2025.   

2048_16C818_049.jpg

http://t3n.de/news/d...e-tesla-807699/

• dasmo likes this

#882 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

Oh boy. I really, really hope the housing industry is able to accommodate the most basic requirements of these vehicles, charging stations at stalls, particularly in apartment and condo complexes. No charging, no uptake.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#883 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

Oh boy. I really, really hope the housing industry is able to accommodate the most basic requirements of these vehicles, charging stations at stalls, particularly in apartment and condo complexes. No charging, no uptake.

I'm not sure that's the right market though to worry about.  On the whole, the most expensive cars are parked at SFDs, not apartments.  Of course there are exceptions, but $50,000+ cars are fairly rare at apartments.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#884 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:17 AM

I didn't even bother with the level 2 charger at home. 110V outlet is just fine for how much I drive. Plug it in overnight every few days, and occasionally plug it in on the go if it's convenient. And that's a leaf with max 150km of range.

By the time this is a big issue they will have superchargers that function very similarly to gas stations for those that don't have a charger at home.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#885 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

BC Hydro magazine focusing a lot on electric vehicles in BC

http://switch.bchydro.com

#886 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

I didn't even bother with the level 2 charger at home. 110V outlet is just fine for how much I drive. Plug it in overnight every few days, and occasionally plug it in on the go if it's convenient. And that's a leaf with max 150km of range.

By the time this is a big issue they will have superchargers that function very similarly to gas stations for those that don't have a charger at home.

And aren't gas stations the right place to plunk them now?  Electric charge station and wifi at the gas station, sounds alright to me.

I also think food stores would make sense.  Thrifty puts three in at each store.  Not only can you charge while you do 45 minutes of shopping, but when you bring your cart out, your car is closest to the door.  Bonus.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#887 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

You should see the cars parked at downtown buildings.

If more and more of the population is choosing condo living, and paying a premium to do it, discounting that segment of the market seems a little foolhardy to me. But I dunno, maybe electric vehicle owners will only be suburbanites.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#888 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

There are 44 EV chargers at the new Tsawassen mills/commons mall

#889 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

If more and more of the population is choosing condo living, and paying a premium to do it, discounting that segment of the market seems a little foolhardy to me. But I dunno, maybe electric vehicle owners will only be suburbanites.

It will be up to the buyers to demand it and some developers to be forward thinking.

#890 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

You have a condo, you are connected to the developers.  Change starts here!    Just think, Citified wrapped Tesla Model 3?    

#891 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

I said of course there are exceptions.  But on the whole...

#892 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

It will be up to the buyers to demand it and some developers to be forward thinking.

The one developer that went with a charger in all 10 units of his townhouse complex was skunked.  Not a single buyer has an electric car.

#893 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

You have a condo, you are connected to the developers. Change starts here! Just think, Citified wrapped Tesla Model 3?

Hmmm :)

Know it all.

#894 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

The one developer that went with a charger in all 10 units of his townhouse complex was skunked.  Not a single buyer has an electric car.

yet....

• LeoVictoria likes this

#895 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

yet....

Absolutely true.  I suppose when it comes time to replace their existing, these 10 owners are very motivated to look at EVs.

#896 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Absolutely true.  I suppose when it comes time to replace their existing, these 10 owners are very motivated to look at EVs.

The cost of adding an extra 10 outlets is pretty minimal and if it helps differentiate the unit a little then why not.

• tedward likes this

#897 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

video of "production candidate" model 3... Imagine if they make shipments this year! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw1PXRNGcG4

#898 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

Wow. He turned a 4 second video into 7 minutes.

They will definitely deliver this year. How many is the question I think their schedule was about 80,000 cars this year which is extremely ambitious and won't happen. I think 10-20k deliveries and the line running at 5k/week would make most people happy.

#899 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:38 AM

The province is providing incentives specifically for installing chargers in condo buildings. Up to $4500 rebate on installation
http://pluginbc.ca/c...g-program/murb/

#900 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:46 AM

Wow. He turned a 4 second video into 7 minutes.

They will definitely deliver this year. How many is the question I think their schedule was about 80,000 cars this year which is extremely ambitious and won't happen. I think 10-20k deliveries and the line running at 5k/week would make most people happy.

I would be very surprised if they delivered anything beyond a token few cars this year and even more surprised if the price for anything but a stripper was remotely close to the $35K-$45K amount either.

Edited by spanky123, 25 March 2017 - 07:47 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users