LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

2017-us-registration-for-large-luxury-se

#982 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

The first big problem with putting chargers in a strata is convenience. A level 2 charger will charge an empty 200 kilometer range car in just under 5 hours. If there isn't much demand for a charger then there tends not to be much of a fuss. If the charger is in use you'll have to park somewhere else, then return again to plug the car in, then return again to be nice and free up the charger for someone else. If you have your EV in the stall at 6PM, not fully charged until 10 or 11PM, are you going to go move your car out of the stall in case someone else wants to use it?

Having a parking stall with a charger is very convenient, but the cost of installing a charger any distance away from the electrical vault can be extremely expensive.

The second problem, mentioned in the article, is that the in many stratas once a stall has been allocated there is no obligation for the owner to every give it up. If the stall happens to be close to the electrical vault, or is convenient and cheap to install a charger, the stall becomes an asset for the owner and they are less likely to give it up.

Part of the issue for new buildings lies with developers. I have suggested that developers write a clause in the initial contract that specifies "designated future EV stalls" and requires owners to switch to other stalls should the stall be needed as an EV stall. I'd even go a step further and designate "EV overflow stalls" very nearby, so that there is a convenient place for EV owners to park their car to wait, or for charged cars to move to to free up a charging space.

Some things to make this easier such as intelligent chargers with multiple heads that can allocate power to those cars that need it most in mulitple stalls.   Hard to tell whether a huge condo retrofit will be justified or if autonomous cars and/or longer ranges with faster charging will make it a thing of the past anyway.   If you have a 500km range and can recharge as a "electric station" in 10 minutes you don't need a charger at home.

#983 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

The first big problem with putting chargers in a strata is convenience. A level 2 charger will charge an empty 200 kilometer range car in just under 5 hours. If there isn't much demand for a charger then there tends not to be much of a fuss. If the charger is in use you'll have to park somewhere else, then return again to plug the car in, then return again to be nice and free up the charger for someone else. If you have your EV in the stall at 6PM, not fully charged until 10 or 11PM, are you going to go move your car out of the stall in case someone else wants to use it?

Having a parking stall with a charger is very convenient, but the cost of installing a charger any distance away from the electrical vault can be extremely expensive.

The second problem, mentioned in the article, is that the in many stratas once a stall has been allocated there is no obligation for the owner to every give it up. If the stall happens to be close to the electrical vault, or is convenient and cheap to install a charger, the stall becomes an asset for the owner and they are less likely to give it up.

Part of the issue for new buildings lies with developers. I have suggested that developers write a clause in the initial contract that specifies "designated future EV stalls" and requires owners to switch to other stalls should the stall be needed as an EV stall. I'd even go a step further and designate "EV overflow stalls" very nearby, so that there is a convenient place for EV owners to park their car to wait, or for charged cars to move to to free up a charging space.

I don't see why for new buildings, all parking spots can't be mandated to have all necessary wiring in place, and enough space in the electrical room for any other needed hardware. If that isn't in the plans to be added to the building code, it should be.

#984 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:06 PM

I wonder what sort of additions to the electrical service would be required if the building code was to mandate a 32A Level 2 charger in each of the 100 parking spots a typical mid-rise might have. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#985 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

Not nearly as much as you might think. Automate and sequence the timing of charges between cars and a max 100 car charge for 5 hours each at the same time quickly becomes 50 considering 1/2 will go nowhere in a day, then run sequences of charges from 5 pm when the first cars get back to 9 am when the last leave. The first two sequences can cover 10 cars each with nearly full drains for 4 hrs each on average. 20 cars, 8 hours, load of 10 cars. This is done by 1 am. 15 cars with 50 percent charge can be done in 2.5 hours each, or 10 by 6 am. The remainder are done by 9. The math here isn't quite right, but you get the picture.

Logic and multiple charge heads are our friends.

that and very few people drive a car to empty every day. We average 15 km total on weekdays, more on weekends. If we had 350 km range, only would need to connect once per week. A lot of condo owners would be in the same boat.

Edited by manuel, 26 May 2017 - 10:51 PM.

"I know nothing"

#986 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:42 AM

Most of our phones at home are wirelessly charged now.  Never know what is planned for next year.  You could have a pad under parking stalls or a magnetic pad to attach to a section of the car with a monitoring system that limits the power to what the service / strata can allow.

#987 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:17 AM

I wonder what sort of additions to the electrical service would be required if the building code was to mandate a 32A Level 2 charger in each of the 100 parking spots a typical mid-rise might have. 

Given how many cars I see during the day sitting in parkades I don't think more than 30-40% of the cars would be charging at night? Out of that 30-40% I would bet that more than 90% would need less than 100 km of charge so less than 2.5-3 hours.  Out of a 100 parking spots you may need 2 or 3 cars that need more than 5 hours of charging every night. Basically I don't think you would see a load of 50 cars charging at once in 100 parking spots equipped with chargers.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#988 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

Average Canadian drives 15,000km/year or 41km/day.
At electric car efficiency and some charging losses that is about 7kW/day.

100 cars in a hypothetical building so that's 700kW to disperse, mostly overnight, say over about 12 hours or 58kW/hour.

That's about 260A at 220V to charge the buildings cars overnight.

I'll let the electricians calculate whether that load would require changes in the service to the building or whatever

#989 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

Other electric loads are going to be at their lightest overnight, so capacity might not be a problem.  I suppose a large building might have a charging controller that rations out the available kilowatts so as to avoid an overload.

That's about 260A at 220V to charge the buildings cars overnight.

#990 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

Until TOU billing forces everyone to do laundry at midnight!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#991 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

Until TOU billing forces everyone to do laundry at midnight!

TOU doesn't really make sense with Hydro. Peak loads are not an issue as much as with coal or nuclear that can't react to demand changes quickly

#992 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

https://www.facebook...54994336312949/

Alphabets Waymo could be valued at $70Billion

#993 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:01 PM

Volvo to go electric and hybrid only starting in 2019

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-2019-1.4190649

#994 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:29 AM

France to Ban Fossil Fuel Vehicles by 2040

https://techvibes.co...campaign=buffer

#995 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

Tomorrow on Oak Bay Ave at the car show actually on Elgin, the electric car club people will have a display of cars.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#996 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:51 PM

Tesla delivered their first model 3 to customers today.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#997 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

Check this new one out: http://bollingermotors.com/new_site/

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#998 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

Check this new one out: http://bollingermotors.com/new_site/

That's pretty cool.  I like how it's very basic.  But can't help think Jeep will just one-up them with an electric model(s) soon.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#999 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

The Model 3 release really has me excited. I look forward to seeing one in person.  If the car is less than 60k CAD in my driveway I'll sell the Honda Fit we have and buy one as the non-dogmobile. I still think they are too expensive, but it has potential to be 'worth it'.

#1000 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:14 AM

The Model 3 release really has me excited. I look forward to seeing one in person.  If the car is less than 60k CAD in my driveway I'll sell the Honda Fit we have and buy one as the non-dogmobile. I still think they are too expensive, but it has potential to be 'worth it'.

You could probably do that price with their entry level model 3 but my guess is that fully loaded they will probably come in around $85K to $95K after currency exchange and duties

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)