Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11555 replies to this topic

#1101 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:16 AM

Shouldn't they be giving us electricity for free, to wean us off fossil fuels, make us the greenest province in the land?

Well first we're gonna need to generate a lot more power to anticipate future demand. But hey, Site C totally isn't necessary right now, eh?

#1102 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

This is the current network of level 3 fast chargers in BC.  

fccurrent.PNG

This is what it will look like by next spring.

IMG_2354.jpg

#1103 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

All electric vehicles on sale in the US compared.

bZkN7Ea.jpg

The Tesla really does stand out compared to the other EVs.  With all the money being poured into these EVs, you would think the other companies would be able to provide models with similar range.

#1104 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:11 PM

Why can't one of these other companies with billions of dollars for R&D just buy 5 Teslas, have a bunch of engineers/programmers take them apart in a warehouse and build something similar? How far ahead Tesla is compared to everyone else is a little puzzling to me.

Tesla came out with a 400km range PRODUCTION car in 2012 and 5 years later the big players have yet to come out with anything half decent. They can barely hit 200km range.

Maybe this is like Koda when the competition just don't believe that the future is here.

• lanforod likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1105 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

I was reading an article today about autonomous vehicles that stated Level 4 autonomy will be achieved by 2020 and only by commercial vehicles on some routes, it will still require a driver to take over once leaving the off ramp and getting on local roads. Level 5, full autonomy, will not be achieved before 2050. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1106 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

Why can't one of these other companies with billions of dollars for R&D just buy 5 Teslas, have a bunch of engineers/programmers take them apart in a warehouse and build something similar? How far ahead Tesla is compared to everyone else is a little puzzling to me.

Tesla came out with a 400km range PRODUCTION car in 2012 and 5 years later the big players have yet to come out with anything half decent. They can barely hit 200km range.

Maybe this is like Koda when the competition just don't believe that the future is here.

Range is just batteries plus efficiency. I don't get it either.

#1107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

Perhaps that a reflection of the fact that most manufacturers are not convinced that EV's are really the way of the future.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

I was reading an article today about autonomous vehicles that stated Level 4 autonomy will be achieved by 2020 and only by commercial vehicles on some routes, it will still require a driver to take over once leaving the off ramp and getting on local roads. Level 5, full autonomy, will not be achieved before 2050.

Insurance rates will force that more quickly.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1109 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

Perhaps that a reflection of the fact that most manufacturers are not convinced that EV's are really the way of the future.

The reduced maintenance requirements of all-electric cars don't bode well for the bottom line of the extensive networks of dealerships and service centers.

Whether we want to admit it or not, there is a massive economy that exists around auto parts and service. 

Think of all the children and puppies that'll go hungry when the mechanic gets fired and can no longer afford to feed his family. 

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1110 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:02 AM

The reduced maintenance requirements of all-electric cars don't bode well for the bottom line of the extensive networks of dealerships and service centers.

Whether we want to admit it or not, there is a massive economy that exists around auto parts and service. 

Think of all the children and puppies that'll go hungry when the mechanic gets fired and can no longer afford to feed his family. 

Yes it was so sad when that happen to all the buggy whip manufacturer employees when gas powered cars replaced the horse drawn buggy.

We should have never allowed cars in the first place, then all those people would have never lost their jobs. 

#1111 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:44 AM

A few things.  

1. The Chevy Bolt has a range of 383km so it's not like they can't do it, the problem is they really don't want to sell you one.  They brought 10 into Victoria for the whole year, which sold out immediately.   So either they aren't making money off them, they can't produce them quickly enough, or their dealers don't like them because of reduced maintenance.  

2.  40% of Tesla's engineers work in software.   Tesla is basically a rolling high performance smartphone and the other car companies don't get that at all.   They don't have the software talent right now to compete.

3.  Up until the model 3 the big car companies didn't think there was a market for EVs.   Once the model 3 starts eating into the high volume 3 series and A4 market, they will pay more attention.    Especially if Tesla achieves their 25% margin target on the model 3.

4.  Lots of aggressive plans by the other companies for EV models and EV sales, but not until 2020.    By 2020 who knows where Tesla will be.   Model Y will be shipping, Tesla Semi will be on the roads, supercharger V3 out... 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1112 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

Pure electric cars don't have gasoline engines or transmissions but they still have motors, brakes, tires, suspensions, heating, cooling and lots of moving bits and pieces like door handles, mirrors, etc. Apparently the waiting list for service at a Tesla dealership averages about 3-4 weeks so clearly there are maintenance and service requirements for the vehicles. 

In California, wait times of 30-45 days are not unusual, with San Francisco and San Diego in particular as hot spots where owners wait weeks for regular maintenance appointments. http://www.greencarr...c-cars-are-sold

Edited by spanky123, 15 August 2017 - 08:54 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and Midnightly like this

#1113 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:53 AM

Range is one thing for some folks, looks is another. Outside of the Tesla S the rest are simply ugly.

#1114 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:03 AM

Pure electric cars don't have gasoline engines or transmissions but they still have motors, brakes, tires, suspensions, heating, cooling and lots of moving bits and pieces like door handles, mirrors, etc. Apparently the waiting list for service at a Tesla dealership averages about 3-4 weeks so clearly there are maintenance and service requirements for the vehicles. 

In California, wait times of 30-45 days are not unusual, with San Francisco and San Diego in particular as hot spots where owners wait weeks for regular maintenance appointments. http://www.greencarr...c-cars-are-sold

Another huge advantage that Tesla has is remote software diagnostics and updates.   80% of repairs can be done via the mobile service trucks so that's where they are focusing the expansion.    http://www.autonews....-mobile-model-3

#1115 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

Range is one thing for some folks, looks is another. Outside of the Tesla S the rest are simply ugly.

Outside of the Leaf and the i3, they actually all look exactly like normal cars.

#1116 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

Interesting, Leo.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1117 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

Changing out a motor in a Tesla is a lot easier than doing such in an ICE car. Brakes need a lot less maintenance due to regen braking.

I would also think a lot of the other components are moreso plug in a harnass type deal compared to ICE cars.  For example, for cooling it would be a heat pump that runs off the battery. 

All I can say is 60,000 km and zero mainteance, zero problems. 

As far as windows/doors those are pretty much bullet proof these days; I've never had a power window or mirror fail in my lifetime. I purchased an all original 1986 BMW 635csi recently and surprisingly the 8 way power seats work, all the windows, mirrors, etc, all work.

Edited by MarkoJ, 15 August 2017 - 10:13 AM.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1118 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

One of my co-workers used to drive transport trucks, and he's not convinced that automation can do it (yet?), because of all of the variables. Loads can shift, roads are all non-standard in terms of markings, surface condition etc.., and weather.

The first thing that could be automated is railroads, because of the consistency of a railbed, and they're not, to the best of my knowledge, talking about that...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1119 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

Interesting article on Elon Musk and electric vehicles in the FP

http://business.fina...e4-03105e49a514

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1120 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:17 PM

A train can be driven by one man. With the load equivalent of 75 or 150 trucks.

So not sure the savings is that big a deal.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users