Photo

[Fairfield] Mount Edwards Court | Low Barrier Housing

• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#341 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:39 PM

If true, would still not be as serious as reaching a point in life where you make inane comments about people you don't know.

Are you sure that's not your raison d'être on this forum?
  • Bingo likes this

#342 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:01 PM

You finally reached that point in life where graffiti on mail boxes gets you all worked up.  Time for some Metamucil.

Yes, on top of everything else we need to keep those darn teenagers coming in from the suburbs and marking up our public spaces:)

Didn't see that much graffiti from tent city, now with residents at Mount Edwards... lots.

I'm staying home from now on because just this morning I saw some graffiti out our way and it's has to be those baaaad residents from Mt. Edwards on the loose.

#343 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:07 PM

Who do you think you're kidding?

You obviously don't know this neighbourhood. I walk by the building every day, I shop at Harris Green several times a week.

On to your photo, if you look at the grey utility box in the photo you can clearly see that there is a graffiti signature towards the top right, and a large painted grey circle with a line through it.

Got any more "evidence" to back up your claim that the neighbourhood hasn't changed?

Better still how about you posting your photos of all the graffiti in the immediate neighbourhood that you absolutely know was done by the residents of Mt Edwards.

#344 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:27 AM

Okay kets remove the graffiti from the menu. I live on the Gorge and will walk home from work and or to/from dt on weekends. I can tell you places like Rock Standard and the shelter have done nothing for the areas and all the problems that we used to complain about on Store St. (seems easy to forget) are now all over the place in another neighborhood.No I am all for taking the polluted industrial are and polluting it more, but really, in this day and age we should know better then to create pockets of issues. It spreads resource and police out then having to be everywhere then on a focused area.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#345 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

Better still how about you posting your photos of all the graffiti in the immediate neighbourhood that you absolutely know was done by the residents of Mt Edwards.

Can't prove it, but there is strong circumstantial evidence that it is probably being done by the same people who are shitting in local alley ways, and leaving discarded drug needles everywhere. Just a theory though.

#346 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:32 AM

The homeless don't tag properties. Kids do. Ask the VicPD next time they're around.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#347 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:53 AM

Can't prove it, but there is strong circumstantial evidence that it is probably being done by the same people who are shitting in local alley ways, and leaving discarded drug needles everywhere.

Just a theory though.

No photos and just a theory doesn't get you a cigar.

#348 MacBooger

MacBooger
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

These things are all being tossed into one area.

Why doesn't Cool Aid put one of these in Central Saanich?

We already have enough problems in and around downtown resulting from "at risk individuals". Maybe we should house the at risk individuals further away from the drugs and lifestyle?

Central Saanich won't allow it.   

#349 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:25 PM

Central Saanich won't allow it.   

I assume CS couldn't stop it on any provincial land within their boundaries.

#350 MacBooger

MacBooger
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

I assume CS couldn't stop it on any provincial land within their boundaries.

Good point.

#351 SAGE

SAGE
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:58 AM

The current residents/management in the building have been totally fine.  I haven't heard a peep or even seen anything.  If someone told me there was no on in there I'd believe them.  That lone security guy seems so bored and lonely.  If the 100 person version is just a scaled up version of this, I think people will be fine with it.

Do you work for Cool Aid?

The community liaison worker (not professional security) is there to deal with problem residents and visitors. This didn't work out too well so they hired professional security from Force as the neighbours demanded it. Neighbours all along Meares, beside Mt Ed and in the neighbourhood were/are being robbed to support drug habits. The crime went up from the day Mt. Edwards opened. This has been confirmed by VicPD.
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

#352 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:08 AM

^Nah... he live and Saanich and profiteers of Victoria's lawless ways
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#353 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:10 AM

Do you work for Cool Aid?

The community liaison worker (not professional security) is there to deal with problem residents and visitors. This didn't work out too well so they hired professional security from Force as the neighbours demanded it. Neighbours all along Meares, beside Mt Ed and in the neighbourhood were/are being robbed to support drug habits. The crime went up from the day Mt. Edwards opened. This has been confirmed by VicPD.

Are you able to provide data of this?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#354 JoshRH

JoshRH
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:50 PM

My grandfather has some pretty great stories about buying properties in Victoria back in the day. When he recently saw the costs associated with this Cool-Aid project he kicked himself a bit, as he was once offered the Mt Edwards property for just over $300K. Some years earlier, I'm not sure how many, he had supervised a renovation of the property.

There are more fools than knaves in the world, else the knaves would not have enough to live upon. - Samuel Butler

#355 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

This will be the largest low-barrier housing project in the city, with over 100 residents.

Central Home Care now has that distinction.

The neighbourhood does not want a low barrier home for the hard to house in that Mount Edwards Court building.

We have said that we did not want Vancouver Street at Rockland to be converted into Pandora street.

They have since, been very low key over there, with 38 residents, if there is that many, yes its been quiet, yes there is security there now, we had to insist on it before they gave in. Cool Aid has been cherry picking low risk clients for MEC, in order to reassure local residents. We know how that works. Queens Manor has approximately the same number of residents as MEC, and its a zoo. You just need to look at the recent transformation around the Central Home Care facility for an example of what will happen.

The new residents at CCH are the exact same people Cool Aid wanted to put at the Mount Edwards Court Building. And the effect would be the same, except worse, because:

- There are more vulnerable people living in close proximity to the site. Seniors and very young school children, some as young as 3 years old got to school 18 meters from MEC. The school simply can not survive living right next door to another Queens Manor or CCH.

- There is less passive security, its very quiet around there at night, very few cars or pedestrians. Rockland in that area is a no car zone, meaning even less in the way of passive security.

- Its not well lit, in fact its dark around there at night, and there are alcoves and dark areas where dealers and users can lurk.

- Its not zoned for a shelter, and for good reason. It used to be a senior care facility, everybody was fine with that.

- There is no guarantee that Cool Aid will continue to maintain professional security. Cool Aid has lied to local residents so often in the past about their intentions that they have zero credibility. Do you see any professional security around Cool Aid's Queen Manor building? No. and its a full on gong show around that site, with 40 residents, and its not even in a residential neighbourhood.

We have seen the future if Cool Aid goes full on at MEC, Central Care Home(Portland Hotel Society), and Queens Manor(Cool Aid Society) and do not want that for Vancouver street.

Edited by VicPushedOver, 14 September 2016 - 02:16 PM.

• Baro, Nostalgic Victoria and pennymurphy2000 like this

#356 Alan Rycroft

Alan Rycroft

Victoria Cool Aid Society

• 31 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC Canada

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:06 PM

I've suspected for a while that these facilities are nowhere close to capacity.

As I have commented on before, for 2 months now that there has been virtually no activity around the Mount Edwards building.

It appears almost deserted, except for the security guard and a few employees.

Did the residents who were at ME go to CCH, to be with their SIC friends? Have they gone back to Vancouver? The Park? Wintering in Thailand?

Don't know, but, contrary to previous claims by PHS, there is additional room at CCH.

As tax payers I think we have a right to know whats going on at these new housing centers.

I am pleased to report, on behalf of Cool Aid, that Mount Edwards Court remains full -- with 38 residents living on the first floor.

I am delighted to hear that it seems like an empty building to neighbours. Like we have always maintained, once the Tent City left the neighbourhood, folks could more easily see what a good neighbour Cool Aid housing is.

I invite you to buzz the front door anytime, or call the staff at 778-265-3456 (24/7) if you have any questions or just want to chat.

If you are interested in a tour, please feel free to give me a call -- Alan Rycroft at 250-414-4781 or arycroft@CoolAid.org.

• Jill, Bingo and shoeflack like this

#357 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

Is this the rezoning application for Mt. Edwards?

Capture.JPG

Will this really be used strictly as a facility for people aged 50+?

Also, someone's math is lousy: 79 supportive and 15 affordable rental units = 94 in total, not 93.

#358 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

There are plenty of addicted and hard to house homeless aged 50 and up - likely just a slight of hand omission of facts. 

#359 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

There are plenty of addicted and hard to house homeless aged 50 and up... 

So no one currently housed at Mt. Edwards under the age of 50 will be allowed to stay.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#360 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

One good thing about this project is their security guard's hair.  It's absolutely amazing.  I hope he gets paid more for the community outreach work his hair is doing because I've heard several neighbours also comments on it.

Edited by Baro, 25 May 2017 - 11:07 AM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users