Saltchuck Pie Company | Victoria | Bay Street at Turner Street

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

Saltchuck Pie Company, specializing in New Zealand and Australian-style hot savoury pies, will be opening soon in Rock Bay on Bay Street at Turner Street just east of the Point Ellice (Bay Street) Bridge.

https://www.facebook.../saltchuckpies/

Saltchuck-2.jpg

• Matt R. and thundergun like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:17 PM

Yum

#3 johnsonst

johnsonst
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:21 PM

Saltchuck Pie Company, specializing in New Zealand and Australian-style hot savoury pies, will be opening soon in Rock Bay on Bay Street at Turner Street just east of the Point Ellice (Bay Street) Bridge.

https://www.facebook.../saltchuckpies/

Saltchuck-2.jpg

Has anyone stopped by yet? Looks tasty.

Attached Images

• image.png

• todd likes this

#4 muddylaces

muddylaces
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

I've been there a couple times now, and I will be going back for more! I've tried 5 different pies and they were all delicious. They have a pretty full lunch menu including daily soups, meat pies, salads, beverages, coffee, desserts, and more. There are about 10 tables inside, and you can see their large workspace in the back. 

Pies I've sampled:

Peppered steak

Taco

Seafood Medley

Lamb Masala

Chicken, mushroom and brie 

If you get one (or more) to go, they are already warm, but a quick freshen up in the microwave helps. If you can, go try!

• Bingo likes this

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

This is so gnarly. I love that they've taken this gamble in that areaarea and I can't wait to try this place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:49 PM

parking is the sh*its, but why not park at Moon brewery, then go over and grab a pie or two to take home with your growler. 

• nagel likes this

#7 johnsonst

johnsonst
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:33 AM

The location makes sense in a lot of ways. Potential turn-and-burn lunch crowd, near an up-and-coming area of town, etc.

#8 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

Parking isn't too bad - they have the whole side of their building to nose-in park (on Turner St.). Plus 2 spots in front of their food truck.
(also, the bus stop is literally outside their door).

Love this place, been twice already. Sausage rolls are great too. Side salad, potato salad or iceberg letture wedge available w/pies. Plus there's soup. They have larger fruit pies and other individually sized treats.

I've tried the steak/cheese (nice gooey bit of cheese inside), venison (ground, great flavour) and masala lamb (great spice) & the spicy sausage roll (mild-med spiciness).

Good amount of seating inside at classic arborite tables. And there's a small play area for kids.

These folks have done a really nice job with this place.

Edited by cfbnp200e, 05 March 2016 - 01:26 PM.

#9 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

What's the price range on these savoury bundles?

#10 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

I think there may be some starting at $5 and then working upwards, depending on ingredients. The rabbit, venison and lamb ones were higher ($8?$9?). All prices are written on the glass on the hot display case.
Mornings they have egg & ____ ones (bacon, sausage, chorizo...).

#11 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

Tweak the name to Saltczuk and add pierogies to the menu.
  • Mike K. and Dr. Barillas like this

#12 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:06 AM

Feature article in the TC - it's the same folks that started Noodle Box

http://www.timescolo...e-sky-1.2191248#

#13 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

Tried the macaroni and seafood pies. Wasn't overly impressed, especially with the macaroni pie. I'll try some heartier meat pies next time.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#14 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:45 PM

I quite enjoyed the one I had there. Victoria Pie Company (in the Hudson market) is tough to beat though. I'll need to do some more research on this...

#15 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:48 AM

Had a sausage roll and pepper steak pie for lunch the other day(don't judge me) loved the roll found the pie a bit salty for my taste. Hoping it was a one off, the pastry was great. The owner was very friendly and genuinely seemed to be enjoying the work, I'll be back to do some more "research" as well!
The gene pool could use a little chlorine!

#16 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

Damn.  I wish this were more in the downtown proper.  I would totally go.  Where it is now?  Not so much.

If you really want to eat them like the Aussies do ... slather the top with ketchup and eat on the go (or at a footie match!).

#17 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:03 PM

^ but there is a great pub right next door.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#18 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:24 PM

Had a sausage roll and pepper steak pie for lunch the other day(don't judge me) loved the roll found the pie a bit salty for my taste. 

You would think it would be too peppery rather than salty.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users