Property taxes vs services provided for Victoria and Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Thatcher Smith

Thatcher Smith
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

This be may asked-and-answered or not appropriate to the forum, please advise:

Can a comparison be made for the gross tax bill for a home in Victoria and a similar home just outside Victoria, say on the north end of Cedar Hill Golf Course? From there could anyone say what the differences are in what services or facilities are received for one's tax bill?

#2 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:36 PM

You pay more in Victoria, but get sidewalks.

• jonny likes this

#3 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

This be may asked-and-answered or not appropriate to the forum, please advise:

Can a comparison be made for the gross tax bill for a home in Victoria and a similar home just outside Victoria, say on the north end of Cedar Hill Golf Course? From there could anyone say what the differences are in what services or facilities are received for one's tax bill?

It varies. Both houses will pay for some common things (CRD, School District 61) but with different munis, there are things which are cheaper and there are things which are more expensive. I have never really seen a good detailed breakdown of costs by muni that is up to date.

#4 Victoria Contractor

Victoria Contractor
  • Banned
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:28 AM

i can tell you that you will pay about the same as victoria in central saanich, but there are no sidewalks, no municipal garbage pickup, no recreation centre, and you have to build and maintain your own septic system

#5 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:54 AM

It varies. Both houses will pay for some common things (CRD, School District 61) but with different munis, there are things which are cheaper and there are things which are more expensive. I have never really seen a good detailed breakdown of costs by muni that is up to date.

Also you can't ignore the revenue side.   Victoria probably collects far more in commercial property tax than the other munis,   That helps keep residential tax lower.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 06 February 2016 - 07:55 AM.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:29 AM

What's keeping tax increases low in the City of Victoria is development. If it weren't for the level of construction we're seeing down here taxes would have been increasing handsomely over the last few years.

When the boom settles down, if we don't get our affairs in order now, residents and businesses will face a surge in taxes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:42 AM

Anyone have the revenue breakdown for the city?

#8 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:48 AM

i can tell you that you will pay about the same as victoria in central saanich, but there are no sidewalks, no municipal garbage pickup, no recreation centre, and you have to build and maintain your own septic system

But if you look at similar houses in Victoria and Saanich, you will pay more property taxes in Victoria. For a while I was looking at 1950ish bungalows in the Gorge area. As soon as I went across Harriet into Victoria, a house of similar value had property taxes of almost $1000 more.

#9 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:24 AM

don't forget a volunteer fire department....when we built our last 2 warehouses we had to put in sidewalks and paint our own yellow lines around the fire hydrant....

#10 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:34 AM

But if you look at similar houses in Victoria and Saanich, you will pay more property taxes in Victoria. For a while I was looking at 1950ish bungalows in the Gorge area. As soon as I went across Harriet into Victoria, a house of similar value had property taxes of almost $1000 more.

Not that much.   Victoria residential rate is 0.71894%.  Saanich is 0.6536%

Difference on a $500,000 place is about $330.

#11 Victoria Contractor

Victoria Contractor
  • Banned
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

Also you can't ignore the revenue side.   Victoria probably collects far more in commercial property tax than the other munis,   That helps keep residential tax lower.

plus the millions collected in parking revenue and fines.

in many years residential tax rates stayed the same, while commercial property rates saw double digit increases

#12 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

Where did you get this info LV?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#13 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

What are your general assumptions of the breakdowns in each municipality?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#14 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

What are your general assumptions of the breakdowns in each municipality?

Without diving into the budget, I wouldn't assume anything. Any budget dives are complicated, time-consuming and deadly boring. Sorry :)

#15 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

Where did you get this info LV?

From the Victoria and Saanich public websites. The CRD used to have a nice table on their site comparing the mill rates of all the municipalities but I can't for the life of me find it anymore.

#16 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:48 PM

I think Esquimalt is even worse than Victoria but can't find it on their website.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#17 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:41 PM

The mill rate is only half the story.  You have to consider all the different fees municipalities charge for water, sewer, garbage, recycling, compost, rezoning, ...

#18 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:19 PM

The mill rate is only half the story.  You have to consider all the different fees municipalities charge for water, sewer, garbage, recycling, compost, rezoning, ...

Some of which are at least partly regional costs.

#19 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

Edit: formatting screwy on paste.  Anyway see here

https://www.crd.bc.c...rate-comparison

Edited by LeoVictoria, 06 February 2016 - 09:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users