Photo

The Drive-Through Round-Up - where are they all?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

You know, I was in the new McDonalds near Rona today, and got to thinking.  How much business does that darned drive-through do?

Well, it turns out in the US, most fast food places do 50-70 at the window.

So it got me thinking, what do we have here?

So let's do a "round-up"

I don't think we need to do every location, but let's count the food businesses that have windows.

So... (burgers) fast food:

McDonald's

Wendy's

A&W

DQ

other fast-service:

Tim Hortons

Starbucks (do we have many of those?)

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:52 PM

You know, the DQ on Douglas looks awful quiet sometimes, it could probably use a drive-through.

I've always though Ice Cream Mountain could be a good drive-through location.  For coffee and soup, and ice cream!  As you head up-Island.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

Did the new Saanich Gateway Village Starbucks retain the old Burger King drive-thru or did they tear it out? The HSBC in that mall has (or used to have) a drive-thru.

#4 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

Ban them or tax them more.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:38 PM

Ban them or tax them more.

Why? The walk into them is hardly a exercise in, well, vigorous exercise, and maybe they need less parking lot if they have more drive through.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:39 PM

You'd almost think a 7/11 could be drive-thrus, they have so little SKUs.

#7 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:09 PM

What no drive-thru weed dispensary in Victoria? We should start one :) 

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:59 PM

Drive through window.

mcdonalds_468x312.jpg

#9 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:04 PM

KFC on Douglas across from Mayfair Mall.

The drive through is always busy.

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:11 AM

You know, the DQ on Douglas looks awful quiet sometimes, it could probably use a drive-through.

I could have sworn that DQ had a drive-thru at one point.  No? 

Anyway, add Burger King in Colwood to the list.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:32 AM

Why? The walk into them is hardly a exercise in, well, vigorous exercise, and maybe they need less parking lot if they have more drive through.

You know my comment didn't even surprise you.  I don't have issues with interventions that I see as in line with societal goals.

My "why" actually has nothing to do with bikes or walking (although drive thru's are dangerous to both).  The problem is having drive thru's makes it so much easier to get a Timmys coffee and a muffin than making your own breakfast.  Great you say, except you're really eating cake, not the muffins your mom made back in the day.  Caveat emptor you say?  Check the health portion of the budget.  I'm not going to double check but I bet by now it's over 50$ of provincial spending.  A s-ton of that is related to obesity/overweight individuals which is still on the up in NA society.  We all pay for the impacts of obesity.

I can live with drive thru's out in the boonies, but one at a McD's at Vancouver and Pandora is absurd.  It's a whole 2-3 blocks from the very centre of the city (which is also 2-3 blocks from another McD's).  How much do we want to facilitate the overconsumption of pure garbage?  If we can have parking minimums and all sorts of other requirements and restrictions on developments, I think we can quash inner city drive thru's or make them so onerous to implement they would essentially not happen.

• Rob Randall and weirdie like this

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:46 AM

The list of things that'll get the Nagel Tax will be so long it'll require a stack of floppy disks taller than the original MS Office came on.

• Nparker, Bingo and lanforod like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#13 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:33 AM

The new Starbucks in Saanich has a drive through.

I think the Van City by Mayfair mall has a drive through atm.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

The new Tim Hortons in Sooke will have a drive-through. http://victoria.citi...sooke-location/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:54 AM

So... (burgers) fast food:

McDonald's

Wendy's

A&W

DQ

KFC

Burger King

other fast-service:

Tim Hortons

Starbucks (do we have many of those?)

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:55 AM

Most gas stations are drive-through.
  • Nparker, sebberry, Jill and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:04 AM

Could we use a drive-through convenience store?

I could see some type of bulk food or bulk beverage store being popular.  Maybe the bottle depots should sell some bulk beverages.

puppyknuckles-mustang-usa-part-14-6408.j

• Nparker likes this

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:06 AM

Cigarettes?  That goes along well with the non-healthiness of a drive-through.

SavOn-Convenience-Store.jpg

#19 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:15 AM

Most gas stations are drive-through.

Except for many of the Tesla chargers.  You have to stand outside in the freezing snow pumping electrons into your tank for 30 minutes

ls.jpg

But not to worry, there is a chance the one next to you will go into "keep everyone around me warm" mode

• Mike K. likes this

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

TD Bank at Quadra & McKenzie has a drive-through ATM, no?

And if you really want, the Rona in Langford has the drive-through lumber yard. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users