Photo

Amazon Books

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:18 AM

VANCOUVER—British Columbia is promising a law to prevent offenders profiting from their crimes after a book reportedly written by

serial killer Robert Pickton was published, drawing condemnation from the premier and the federal minister of public safety.

By Monday afternoon, the 144-page book titled Pickton: In His Own Words was no longer available through the website of online retailer Amazon.

Outskirts Press, which published the book, issued a statement Monday saying it had asked Amazon remove the book from its website.

“We have a long-standing policy of not working with, nor publishing work by, incarcerated individuals,” the statement said.

This isn’t the first time Amazon has come under fire for selling works by notorious Canadian criminals.

Last year the company was pressured to pull killer Paul Bernardo’s fictional ebook about the Russian Mafia and Al Qaeda.

http://www.thestar.c...ic-outrage.html

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:57 AM

It's funny, if someone wants to ban Huck Finn, or Lady Chatterley's Lover, or My Two Dads we're equally outraged. I guess the trick is to be a respectably naughty author like Stephen Reid?

Edited by Rob Randall, 23 February 2016 - 08:01 AM.

#3 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:03 AM

Bans don't make sense but I don't have an issue with jacking his profits.

• lanforod likes this

#4 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:30 AM

Bans don't make sense but I don't have an issue with jacking his profits.

Yeah, I'd prefer this. Funnel all profits into a victim fund.

• nagel likes this

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:44 PM

What I would like to know is how and why this sack of excrement has access to anything like writing tools or implements, computers or to anything else that would permit him to script a book? 

He was convicted of killing (I believe) 49 people, although police sources think the true number is much higher. We know the Chinese, Russians or Americans wouldn't waste an ounce of state resources on a piece of crap like this (although he would likely be able to appeal his sentence in the US): the Chinese would just take him out behind the nearest shed; ditto the Russians although their shed would be in Siberia - even in "feel good" Canada my assumption was that even in our lame ass justice system he would be in lock-down 23 out of every 24 hours. Is that not the case?

Either way how was he able to record the information that was the basis for a book and then forward it to a publisher on the outside?

#6 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:56 PM

What I would like to know is how and why this sack of excrement has access to anything like writing tools or implements, computers or to anything else that would permit him to script a book? 

He was convicted of killing (I believe) 49 people, although police sources think the true number is much higher. We know the Chinese, Russians or Americans wouldn't waste an ounce of state resources on a piece of crap like this (although he would likely be able to appeal his sentence in the US): the Chinese would just take him out behind the nearest shed; ditto the Russians although their shed would be in Siberia - even in "feel good" Canada my assumption was that even in our lame ass justice system he would be in lock-down 23 out of every 24 hours. Is that not the case?

Either way how was he able to record the information that was the basis for a book and then forward it to a publisher on the outside?

He passed the manuscript to a fellow inmate who got it out to a friend to publish. It's kind of hard to stop something like this from happening if an inmate is determined, I imagine.

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:24 PM

He passed the manuscript to a fellow inmate who got it out to a friend to publish. It's kind of hard to stop something like this from happening if an inmate is determined, I imagine.

That's my question though: unless he is telekinetic or passing the information along through osmosis, any "manuscript" is presumably in written form - how and why has he apparently got access to writing tools and/or paper? Given the magnitude of the crime he should be sitting in a cell 23/24 hours staring at a blank wall - with access to only the thoughts in his own twisted mind and nothing else beyond a toilet and a mattress. 

#8 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:29 AM

That's my question though: unless he is telekinetic or passing the information along through osmosis, any "manuscript" is presumably in written form - how and why has he apparently got access to writing tools and/or paper? Given the magnitude of the crime he should be sitting in a cell 23/24 hours staring at a blank wall - with access to only the thoughts in his own twisted mind and nothing else beyond a toilet and a mattress. 

I imagine human rights would come into play somewhat. Canadian law specifies inmates must be able to contact/correspond with family and legal. That alone likely calls for access to paper and a pencil.

#9 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:33 AM

I imagine human rights would come into play somewhat. Canadian law specifies inmates must be able to contact/correspond with family and legal. That alone likely calls for access to paper and a pencil.

Right.

I get the outrage, but I'm not sure what could have or should have been done differently.  Even the talk about making a law ensuring he doesn't get the profits could be ineffectual if he sold the rights to the book to a third party for a fee, or set up a corporation to collect the profits.

#10 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

I'm guessing he didn't implicate the other people involved?

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:04 PM

nagel, on 24 Feb 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

Right.

I get the outrage, but I'm not sure what could have or should have been done differently.  Even the talk about making a law ensuring he doesn't get the profits could be ineffectual if he sold the rights to the book to a third party for a fee, or set up a corporation to collect the profits.

He hand wrote the manuscript with pencil and paper, gave it to another inmate that was released from prison, he in turn gave it to a fellow in California to turn it into a book and the proceeds from any sales are going to be used to provide a lawyer for yet another inmate who the Californian writer believes is wrongly incarcerated.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users