Celebrating 10 years of VibrantVictoria - 2006-2016

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:08 PM

VibrantVictoria turns 10 years old this year and today celebrated it's 300,000th post. Wow.

It is hard to believe it was a decade ago that a little forum sprung up to provide Victorians the opportunity to discuss civic matters without the editorializing of the mainstream media, to access information free from bias and agenda-driven sources. People from all walks or life and age groups gathered here to engage and together the participants got a sense of the varied opinions Victorians held and saw between the lines of issues as diverse as the participants themselves.

Personally, my participation on VV has been a humbling experience. I've learned a lot, I've grown as a person. And it is thanks to all of you who have taken the time to make VibrantVictoria what it is.

Here's what was going on back in 2006 as far as technology was concerned:

- Facebook was just a baby and had barely made a dent. It was only two years old.

- There was no iPhone.

- Google acquired YouTube (founded only a year earlier).

- Twitter is launched.

Got a favourite VV memory? Post is below!

VV-10-years.jpg

• sebberry and todd like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:51 PM

Wait, 300000? So over 20% from you and VHF? :P :banana:

• Mike K., rjag and Matt R. like this

#3 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:55 PM

firstly, congratulations.   

secondly, who wins the car (or trip to Las Vegas, or cake with candles, etc. etc.)  :)

#4 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:59 PM

And I joined just after it started, it has been a great way to get to know Victoria better. I had just moved here in October of 2006 and the depth and breadth of knowledge people have shared here have been remarkable. Congratulations VV.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:01 PM

I guess that goes to VHF with the most posts!

firstly, congratulations.   

secondly, who wins the car (or trip to Las Vegas, or cake with candles, etc. etc.)   :)

That goes to VHF for the most points. Although the trip is by bus and it's to Cumberland.

And I joined just after it started, it has been a great way to get to know Victoria better. I had just moved here in October of 2006 and the depth and breadth of knowledge people have shared here have been remarkable. Congratulations VV.

Wow, I knew you've been around for many years but I didn't realize you're one of the the OG's!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:51 PM

In 2009 I was busy volunteering with a keen group of people who were concerned about the money being spent on a bridge.

Wondering how to get the word out about what we were doing, one of the group told me about the debate happening on VV.

I was new to this, so made a some errors on how get my thoughts across. Eventually I became interested in a variety of topics.

Talking on the forum can be frustrating, yet informative, as not knowing who the other person is or their level of expertise can be refreshing.

And you can do it any time of the day, but it gets interesting when the conversation becomes like a conference call with many minds on the line at once.

Thank-you to all the folks out there that participate, and thanks to the moderators for keeping us in line.

Here's to the next 10 Years.  :wave: 

• sebberry and RoadRunner like this

#7 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

Wow!! Well done Mike! I've enjoyed being part of this community and have met some very interesting folks here. Heres to 10 more :cheers:

• sebberry and Bingo like this

#8 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,588 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

Congrats to the VV team, quite an accomplishment when you consider how many businesses never get anywhere near 10 years. I don't comment on anything close to a majority of the topics but I read most of them and have learned a lot from others who have interesting perspectives and insights. Well done gents.....    :thumbsup:

• sebberry, Bingo and RoadRunner like this

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:45 PM

I hadn't realized I joined VV so near its beginning back in Octoner 2006. In a way I feel like I have always been a part of this community. It's been an interesting journey that's for sure.*

Best memory so far: recapping live on VV the happenings of the two St. Andrew's redevelopment town halls back in August and September of last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing where VV and Victoria are in 2026.

* 7343 posts and counting...

• Bingo, lanforod, RoadRunner and 1 other like this

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:17 PM

Congrats to the VV team, quite an accomplishment when you consider how many businesses never get anywhere near 10 years. I don't comment on anything close to a majority of the topics but I read most of them and have learned a lot from others who have interesting perspectives and insights. Well done gents.....    :thumbsup:

One of my favourite encounters was when you asked me to say a few words at your father's funeral. That was an honour and a privilege that I wouldn't have had if I hadn't met you here on the VV forums.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#11 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,588 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

One of my favourite encounters was when you asked me to say a few words at your father's funeral. That was an honour and a privilege that I wouldn't have had if I hadn't met you here on the VV forums.

The privilege was ours Tim; dad would have been very happy to have someone from that time in his life speaking at his service. Although he really didn't have the ego that many others in media did his radio-TV career ended in 1976 - the fact he positively affected someone enough that they felt compelled to speak at his funeral 36 years later speaks volumes IMO.

He always had a soft spot for "his kids" as he called them and he was always thrilled to run into them around town (or the island, or the mainland etc.,) and humbled they remembered him. You did a fine job and brought an interesting perspective to the proceedings since I was only 10 when Club 6 went off the air therefore I don't have as vivid a recollection of dad's impact locally as some others do. He was just "dad" to me. Scary thought - coming up to the 4 year anniversary of his passing in July. Ugh....

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:26 PM

The bar has been set and now I have to say something deep and meaningful...

There's birthday cake, right? 

• Nparker, rjag, AllseeingEye and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,588 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:39 PM

The bar has been set and now I have to say something deep and meaningful...

There's birthday cake, right? 

I'm still annoyed because I missed out on the Cumberland trip.....

• sebberry likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users