100 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

http://www.timescolo...place-1.2197688

City sells off bleachers, leaving buskers-festival crowds in a hard place 

I hope this gets fixed.  Surely the City has lots of clients and users that could use these.  After they throw around money for social services, that has no positive return, surely some bleachers do have a positive return.  And $200k is an extreme-case high number I'm told..

Canada Day

Victoria Parade

various stuff art Ship Point and Centennial Square

Symphony Splash

Overflow at RAP

Highland Games

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

http://www.timescolo...place-1.2197688

I hope this gets fixed.  Surely the City has lots of clients and users that could use these.  After they throw around money for social services, that has no positive return, surely some bleachers do have a positive return.  And $200k is an extreme-case high number I'm told..

Canada Day

Victoria Parade

various stuff art Ship Point and Centennial Square

Symphony Splash

Overflow at RAP

Highland Games

What gets me is that the City says the bleachers are unsafe yet they are selling them as bleachers to someone else!

• sebberry and Jill like this

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:18 AM

The Busker and Chalk fest are leaving Government St.  John Vickers is tired of the 10-year discussion and trouble closing the street every year.  He's just gonna keep stuff near the harbour.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,391 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

Way to go Gov't Street merchants. :whyme:

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:23 AM

Way to go Gov't Street merchants. :whyme:

Honestly, apart from Darlene Holstein (Bay Centre), Teri Hustins (Oscar & Libby's, Fabulous Fort), Shane Devereaux (Habit), and and a handful of others, many of the downtown merchants are a pretty lackluster lot.

• Rob Randall likes this

#6 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:56 AM

Yet the city wants to close the street to traffic?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

Yet the city wants to close the street to traffic?

Vickers said the City was all hot to try it, they indicated last spring, but backed off any prime-time closures.  

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

Honestly, apart from Darlene Holstein (Bay Centre), Teri Hustins (Oscar & Libby's, Fabulous Fort), Shane Devereaux (Habit), and and a handful of others, many of the downtown merchants are a pretty lackluster lot.

Ya we need to have a thread for Lack Luster...wasn't he a wrestler?

#9 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:15 AM

So lame.... The hotel is very much against. I say widen Goverment street and add street parking. Kill it and make Warf st pedestrian only....

#10 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:03 AM

Which hotel?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:10 AM

Perhaps the Bedford?  I can see an issue there, if your guests can not pull up to unload and load luggage.

#12 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

Perhaps the Bedford?  I can see an issue there, if your guests can not pull up to unload and load luggage.

Yep Bedford. Keep access on fort and view problem solved.... Lack of vision is the problem. As a result the strip has lost some vibrancy.... 

• Nparker likes this

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:04 AM

Ya I can still see an issue. New customer knows hotel is in Government but can't get to it.

Minor though you'd think. For the few hours per year.

• Nparker likes this

#14 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

They are worried about tour bus access....

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

They are worried about tour bus access....

They have lots of tour buses coming to that little hotel?  Hmmmm..... If they made arrangements that their bus could come through, or down View to the corner?  Dunno.

The ownership there is not the most forward-thinking (see: their bathrooms and complete lack of professional interior design in their pubs) , if they really analysed the increased business to their pubs from the traffic... Dunno. 

• Nparker likes this

#16 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

Electronic bollards that go down when a tour bus comes.  They get a beeper from the city at no cost to them.  Everyone wins.

#17 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:49 PM

Electronic bollards that go down when a tour bus comes.  They get a beeper from the city at no cost to them.  Everyone wins.

No way. I want our pedestrian street to not have buses on it, period. How are we going to allow restaurants with mid street patios if buses need to go through now and then?

#18 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

My plan would provide a nice loop route for them.... But that's my old plan. I now think we should remove sidewalk space to widen the road and increase the speed limit and add street parking....uB29Gom.jpg

#19 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

Kill it and make Warf st pedestrian only....

Do that and Worf and his Klingon buddies will put a photon torpedo into the Bedford.

Edited by Bingo, 29 March 2016 - 03:33 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#20 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

He he....
  • sdwright.vic likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users