Phillips Backyard Weekender

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:13 AM

ANNOUNCING THE PHILLIPS BACKYARD WEEKENDER!

March 17, 2016 // Victoria, BC – From July 8th-10th, the biggest brewery event of the summer will once again make its mark in the heart of downtown Victoria with three days of world-class music and an endless supply of Phillips beer!

FRIDAY, JULY 8TH

THE FUNK HUNTERS LIVE • THE MAGNIFICENT DJ JAZZY JEFF

DUMPSTAPHUNK • LIINKS
plus DJ LIAM LUX

Gates: 4:00pm • Curfew: 10:00pm

SATURDAY, JULY 9TH

A TRIBE CALLED RED

DESISUBCULTUREMANATEE COMMUNE • MONOLITHIUM

plus DJ LONGSHANKS

Gates: 3:00pm • Curfew: 10:00pm

SUNDAY, JULY 10TH

MILKY CHANCE • BAHAMAS

PICKWICK • OLD MAN CANYON • CARMANAH

plus DJs BILL STUART & WAXSTATIC

Gates: 2:00pm • Curfew: 9:00pm

TICKETS ON SALE NOW!

3-DAY WEEKEND PASS - $99.50

FRIDAY SINGLE DAY - $36.50

SATURDAY SINGLE DAY - $36.50

SUNDAY SINGLE DAY $44.50

Available online at Backyardweekender.com + S/C and in-person at Phillips Brewery.

• todd likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:40 AM

DJ Jazzy Jeff everyone knows, and I've seen Tribe Called Red at Rifflandia, but I haven't the faintest clue who everybody else is.

Does this mean I'm getting old?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:34 AM

DJ Jazzy Jeff everyone knows, and I've seen Tribe Called Red at Rifflandia, but I haven't the faintest clue who everybody else is.

Does this mean I'm getting old?

No you're just a puppy, I don't know any of these dudes and never been to Rifflelandia, but still young at heart.

• Mike K. likes this

#4 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

The Funk Hunters are wicked. Great party music.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#5 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

Bill Stuart used to work for Monday, now works at Phillips. If you listen to the Zone you'd recognized Milky Chance and Bahamas. Carmanah is a good local outfit, also playing at the Salt Spring Music Festival this summer.

That's all I recognize.

Matt.

#6 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:22 PM

Bill Stuart used to work for Monday, now works at Phillips. If you listen to the Zone you'd recognized Milky Chance and Bahamas. Carmanah is a good local outfit, also playing at the Salt Spring Music Festival this summer.

That's all I recognize.

Matt.

Well admittedly that is 3 more acts/people than I recognize. I'm still wondering who or what is a DJ Jazzy Jeff? I'm pretty sure I'm even older than Bingo....still in my 1973 Emerson, Lake and Palmer phase I guess.

#7 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:36 PM

Well if you end up not liking the sound you drink a couple beers more and sweet symphony.  :cheers:

Edited by todd, 18 March 2016 - 08:41 PM.

#8 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:37 PM

What?  Like, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince?  Will Smith?  Are you serious?

Matt.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

That's all I recognize.

Matt.

They're probably not playing, but being from SP how about Auntie Kate and the Uncles of Funk?

#10 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:04 PM

What?  Like, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince?  Will Smith?  Are you serious?

Matt.

Clearly our interpretation of what constitutes time well spent re: TV differs considerably. I presume you are referring to the old "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" series, the number of episodes of which I saw = precisely Zero. That sort of so-called "comedy" appeals to me not one iota....

I certainly know who Will Smith is however in those movies of his I have seen, including "Independence Day" and "Enemy of the State" or "I, Robot" I don't recall anyone named DJ Jazzy Jeff. Sorry to break it to you but there are actually some people who could care less - in fact cannot stand - either hip hop or rap music or whatever genre of music I presume this guy is known for, based on his moniker. My TV viewing tends to be confined to NATGeo, the History & Discovery Channels, with the occasional Hockey Night in Canada game tossed into the mix. 

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:51 AM

Jazzy Jeff is 51 years old. We should all know him.
  • Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

Clearly our interpretation of what constitutes time well spent re: TV differs considerably. I presume you are referring to the old "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" series, the number of episodes of which I saw = precisely Zero. That sort of so-called "comedy" appeals to me not one iota....

That quote goes better with a Len Norris figurine.

6867834381_458eb7cea5.jpg
  • AllseeingEye, Jill, RFS and 1 other like this

#13 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

I certainly know who Will Smith is however in those movies of his I have seen, including "Independence Day" and "Enemy of the State" or "I, Robot" I don't recall anyone named DJ Jazzy Jeff. Sorry to break it to you but there are actually some people who could care less - in fact cannot stand - either hip hop or rap music or whatever genre of music I presume this guy is known for, based on his moniker. My TV viewing tends to be confined to NATGeo, the History & Discovery Channels, with the occasional Hockey Night in Canada game tossed into the mix. 

Maybe it's time to expand your horizons, it's not too late!

Matt.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#14 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

They're probably not playing, but being from SP how about Auntie Kate and the Uncles of Funk?

What's SP?

Matt.

#15 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

Maybe it's time to expand your horizons, it's not too late!

Matt.

That is a wicked band, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyKaYg_PUtE

• Matt R. likes this

#16 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

My 84 year old grandma knows what or who a DJ Jazzy Jeff is.

#17 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:20 PM

My 84 year old grandma knows what or who a DJ Jazzy Jeff is.

Good for your 84 year old grandma....

#18 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:26 PM

Good for your 84 year old grandma....

Big time good for her. Be well.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

JUST ANNOUNCED... and well worth the wait. The Main Stage lineup for The Phillips Backyard Weekender July 7 - 9. Look forward to performances by CAKE, Allen Stone, Common Kings, The Velveteins, Little Destroyer, PPL MVR, Current Swell + MOR

#20 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:03 AM

:bow: 

The music scene in Victoria has received a big boost from one of the most influential music and culture magazines in the world.

A film crew from Rolling Stone was in town last month during the three-day Phillips Backyard Weekender festival to shoot footage for a video now posted to RollingStone.com. The mini-doc — just under seven minutes in length — tackles various aspects of the music and arts community in Victoria, from local band Fortune Killers to radio host Dylan Willows from the Zone at 91.3.

The exposure is huge, according to Nick Blasko of Atomique Productions, one of several Victoria tastemakers featured in the video. RollingStone.com nets 105 million page views per month.

http://www.timescolo...zine-1.21798560

http://www.rollingst...ekender-w496981

Edited by amor de cosmos, 11 August 2017 - 09:09 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users