Photo

Modo Carshare

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#21 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

Why so hostile?  The article simply showed that car shares add single vehicle traffic, and reduce transit use.  Agree?

Nope.  I already explained why their methodology sucks.   Although I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if they did.  Like I said, the point of car shares is to access cars, not to reduce congestion, nor to reduce CO2 emissions.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#22 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:06 PM

By the way the original study is much more interesting than the article misinterpreting it: http://innovativemob...Cities_2016.pdf

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Like I said, the point of car shares is to access cars, not to reduce congestion, nor to reduce CO2 emissions.

That's what you say.  Except their own literature says that's what they are here to do:

Carsharing reduces the costs and stress associated with ownership, and increases quality of life for all, taking vehicles off the road to reduce congestion and pollution and promote healthy, vibrant communities.

http://modo.coop/blo...ate-carsharing/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

That's what you say.  Except their own literature says that's what they are here to do:

http://modo.coop/blo...ate-carsharing/

Like I said, a tertiary reason.   The primary reason is to allow people to access cars.

By the way they do take cars off the road and reduce CO2 emissions.  The study came to that conclusion. 

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

Like I said, a tertiary reason.   The primary reason is to allow people to access cars.

You never said it was a tertiary reason, until I pointed out their literature.

You said:   Like I said, the point of car shares is to access cars, not to reduce congestion, nor to reduce CO2 emissions.

They say:  ...taking vehicles off the road to reduce congestion and pollution and promote healthy, vibrant communities.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

You said:   Like I said, the point of car shares is to access cars, not to reduce congestion, nor to reduce CO2 emissions.

They say:  ...taking vehicles off the road to reduce congestion and pollution and promote healthy, vibrant communities.

Well TECHNICALLY this statement is true 2% of the time, no? ;)

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

I attended a talk by Uber's west coast lobbyist last night.

We're so very far from giving up our cars. The youth may rely on Uber, but damn, anyone who can afford a car will own one. Even the Uber guy acknowledged that. He called it "mobility security."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

A big part of that is density. In far denser areas, car ownership drops a lot. Europe, NYC etc. North America in general, especially cities and towns with large suburbs are a long, long way away from that.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:17 PM

A big part of that is density. In far denser areas, car ownership drops a lot. Europe, NYC etc. North America in general, especially cities and towns with large suburbs are a long, long way away from that.

That's right.  It's amazing how low car ownership is in NY.

According to the data, only 1.4 million households in the City out of the total 3.0 million owned a car. Within the five boroughs, ownership is lowest in Manhattan, with only 23% of households owning a car, followed by Brooklyn and the Bronx, with 44% and 46% respectively.

https://www.nycedc.c...orkers-and-cars

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:21 PM

Meanwhile, in England...

http://www.bbc.com/n...ngland-35312562

Cars on England's roads increase by almost 600,000 in a year

#31 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:41 PM

Meanwhile, in England...

http://www.bbc.com/n...ngland-35312562

And in BC we see an increase of just under 300,000 new icbc policies from 2011 to 2015, of which more than 1/2 were in the lower mainland

http://www.icbc.com/.../population.pdf

The personal auto is not going anywhere anytime soon.

• VicHockeyFan and sebberry like this

#32 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:02 PM

You're hilarious. Look back a page. I said exactly that at 6:19pm

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

And yet 2.6-million cars enter Manhattan every single day.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

That article doesn't report at all about how much the car sharers are actually driving. They are likely driving far less than average by living in a walkable urban environment.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

DVBA members get free Modo memberships, and no security or admin fee now.  Helps says you might leave your car at home now, when you know at work there is a Modo car if you need it. 

#36 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

DVBA members get free Modo memberships, and no security or admin fee now.  Helps says you might leave your car at home now, when you know at work there is a Modo car if you need it. 

Modo has been around for nearly 20 years. I am sure that some people will take advantage of the $1 a year savings and not having to post a security deposit, but I don't expect a huge change in behavior solely because of the deal.

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

Not sure how all this works.

Why would I leave my car at home and bus to work and then hope there is a Modo car available for me after work to get home with, when all I need to do is take the bus home.

And how does using Modo free up parking spaces, unless they are using a lot of smoke and mirrors?

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

You have a job where every once in a while you have to run out and do a service call. But it's sporadic and infrequent.

So you either have no car or you leave it at home. Use the Modo you know is downtown if needed.

#39 JennKa

JennKa
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

Here's my experience so far: I cannot afford a vehicle at the moment. If I could afford one, I would not use Modo. I have a monthly bus pass and only use Modo for large grocery shops, a quick commute in poor weather (I actually used Modo during the snow storm we had as buses were down to bare minimum)and the occasional 3-4 hour social activity.
I've learned that it's easy to fall back on and for that reason I've used it more than necessary some months, resulting in a monthly charge that could well go towards a car payment.
It's great not having to pay for gas or for insurance and I love trying out different vehicles.
  • rjag likes this

#40 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

You have a job where every once in a while you have to run out and do a service call. But it's sporadic and infrequent.

Only to find out that the other guy who has a job doing infrequent service calls has booked it already. 

If you have to do infrequent service calls, perhaps the employer can have a company car available?

Did the Modo mobiles get snow tires for the winter?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users