[Marine] V2V Vacations | Victoria-Vancouver catamaran service

• Please log in to reply
834 replies to this topic

#381 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:55 AM

Paying rack rate for a hotel room is just stupid.

#382 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

Government employed folks must show there ID and state they are on business to get those rates. Those stays are then reimbursed to that employee, thus the government pays less for when, say an auditor is out on the road. Government rates are meant for when the Government is on business. Don't see the issue with taxpayers getting a subsidy from workers having to be on the road?

As for airfare, no discount or subsidy. Full price except for seaplane and helijet, and those only occur with buying in bulk.

I spend about 40 nights a year in hotels/car rentals using government rate or rate code...only once or twice have I been asked to show government ID in the last 5 years.

#383 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

^ that often goes with BCAA rates as well. If you've got a number handy, you usually don't need to show the actual card, so it could be anyone's card.

#384 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:00 AM

Government employed folks must show there ID and state they are on business to get those rates. Those stays are then reimbursed to that employee, thus the government pays less for when, say an auditor is out on the road. Government rates are meant for when the Government is on business. Don't see the issue with taxpayers getting a subsidy from workers having to be on the road?

As for airfare, no discount or subsidy. Full price except for seaplane and helijet, and those only occur with buying in bulk.

There are government rates that are for personal use too.

#385 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

Paying rack rate for a hotel room is just stupid.

When I've just walked into a hotel and asked the rate, and been given one, the trick is to say "OK, thanks, I can get (quote a rate of 25% less) at the airport hotel, is there a cheaper room here that's closer to that rate?"  That gives them an out, and a way of justifying the new lower rate they are about to give you.  Hey, you save $30 or $50 just by asking.

• lanforod likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#386 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

off-topic.jpg

#387 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

V2V Empress is sailing today.  15 scheduled to go back this afternoon, all in economy.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#388 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:00 PM

John Wilson has the contract to take any of the regular fare passengers over on a coach bus via BC Ferries whenever V2V cancels a sailing. He gets the full rate whether the bus is full or not, so a good deal for him. V2V flies the higher class fares on Harbour Air when sailings are cancelled.

Not sure if you get a refund in addition to this, or if it's a choice between refund and travel.

one would think that they would partner with a company such as CVS whose buses are not garbage like the Wilson's buses however they will at most only require the airport shuttle sized bus which has maximum 24 passenger and are newer

Edited by HB, 24 May 2017 - 07:02 PM.

#389 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

Oh Canada! We're excited to celebrate Canada's 150th on July 1st, sail with us in First Class between June 26th - July 2nd, 2017 for a very special rate of just $150! Use promo code: CA150 to receive this offer. You'll still receive a 3-course meal and enjoy the beautiful backdrop that is home. Book now, seats are limited www.v2vvacations.com 

• 57WestHills likes this

#390 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

I just booked on that rate. Looking forward to trying the "First Class" on there.
  • VicHockeyFan, lanforod and kafkaesque like this

#391 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

If you value the meal at about $50, then this is actually not a bad price compared to flying or the Clipper.

#392 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

Canada 150 is a bust compared to what Canada 100 was. Canada 100 was a year long event.

#393 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

SUM17 promo code works all summer. Fare @ $80. More realistic.

#394 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

As of right now, just 9 people booked to come over Friday.  

#395 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:15 AM

The departure time from Vancouver is inconvenient if you aren't staying in a downtown hotel. 7am boarding? I can see why there are so few people making the Van -> Vic journey. Any idea what the numbers are for the return trip?

#396 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

The departure time from Vancouver is inconvenient if you aren't staying in a downtown hotel. 7am boarding? I can see why there are so few people making the Van -> Vic journey. Any idea what the numbers are for the return trip?

Well, if you base it on the Clipper model, you'd think that 60-80% of their business should be people from there and beyond, coming here.  And making the round trip mostly.  I don't know, the 7am is pretty much the only ferry each day that's guaranteed to be full year-round, isn't that a popular departure time?

#397 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

Well, if you base it on the Clipper model, you'd think that 60-80% of their business should be people from there and beyond, coming here.  And making the round trip mostly.  I don't know, the 7am is pretty much the only ferry each day that's guaranteed to be full year-round, isn't that a popular departure time?

You need to be there at 6 AM. So you're getting up at 5 AM or earlier maybe. That's the issue, its way too early for most people.

#398 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:56 AM

You need to be there at 6 AM. So you're getting up at 5 AM or earlier maybe. That's the issue, its way too early for most people.

No no, it leaves at 8am.  So with current traffic levels, I'd say arriving at 7:45am leaves you plenty of time to board.  It's like I do with Harbour Air, show up 5 minutes before the flight, accept your verbal beat down by the counter person, board the plane.

• Rob Randall and thundergun like this

#399 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:30 AM

7 AM Clipper or 7 AM BC Ferry?

As I said, the early V2V makes sense if you're staying in downtown Vancouver. They just don't seem to be going after the "tourists in downtown Vancouver" demographic. The giant billboard right before you drive on to the ferry at Tsawwassen completely mystifies me.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#400 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

I meant the 7am BC Ferry.    I don't know, the billboard at Tsawwassen makes some sense, 99% of the traffic there are bound for a ferry or are picking up/dropping off at the ferry, so they are interested in ferry travel of some sort, now and in the future.  

21 people are going across on V2V this afternoon.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users