• 5,444 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

how embarrassing

#442 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

OK, might as well start this up now.

Clearly, Lisa Helps will be a one-term Mayor.  There is no way can she win re-election.  But who will show up to run?  Dean Fortin to make a return?  Stew Young to the rescue?  Will any other councillors step up?  Ben Isitt can't win, he'd be ill-advised to run for Mayor.

Letter in today's TC

Congratulations to Langford Mayor Stew Young for doing what the mayor of Victoria was too afraid to do — shutting down the illegal sale of marijuana in his town before it gets out of hand.

Despite what many think and say, the sale of marijuana in retail outlets is not legal and the locally sold marijuana is not “medicinal” by definition of the federal legislation, which regulates the growing and sale of marijuana for medical purposes.

I am fully aware that there are people who legitimately require cannabis for their medical conditions, but I’d like to know who’s “prescribing” so much marijuana for “medicinal” purposes that it takes 35 retail stores to supply it for the alleged illnesses.

Of course, Young’s actions aren’t that surprising, as Langford also doesn’t spend thousands upon thousands of taxpayers money for such frivolous and useless things as musical handrails on parkade stairways, puzzle piece crosswalks, a platoon of poet laureates that no one has ever heard of, and ridiculous proposals such as $11,000 for ping pong tables and giant chess boards for their public spaces.

What would it take for us to convince Young to run for mayor of Victoria in the next election?

Langford thrives while our beautiful city becomes a laughingstock, where I’m sure the next proposal from the council chambers will be a bouncy castle city hall with wizards and unicorns that will roam the soon-to-be-renamed Centennial Square.

Rick Anthony

Victoria

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.VWBmhysF.dpuf

• Nparker, Bingo, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#443 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

Hehe, Rick Anthony is an ex Victoria and Oak Bay policeman if it's the same Rick I know! He speaks his truth from experience and from the heart, one of the most straight up stand up guys you will ever know.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, todd and 1 other like this

#444 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

Was posted by VHF as well: http://vibrantvictor...sland/?p=362886

#445 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

http://www.iheartrad...ffice-1.2495930

• Sparky likes this

#446 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

Just a reminder to always include context with a link, or at least one paragraph of an article :)

Helps: "I didn't get into this job to be a politician; I got into this job to get things done. We have had three years almost of this term. It's too early to determine what will happen. When people say I'm never going to vote for you again, whatever, I didn't get elected so I would get elected again."
  • John M. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

Winning by only 45 votes and serving as the most contentious mayor in Victoria's history would shake anyone's confidence.

This means Isitt is warming to the idea. He'll try to go for the top job next year.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#448 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:26 AM

...This means Isitt is warming to the idea. He'll try to go for the top job next year.

If this looks like it could happen I'd actively campaign to get Lisa Helps to run again. That's how thoroughly repulsive the thought of Comrade Isitt as mayor is.

#449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:40 AM

Well, any campaign against him would have to convince the electorate that Isitt is likely to be Helps 2.0 as mayor, but significantly more motivated to push his agenda.

The folks who support Helps and Isitt are already planning for the eventuality of Helps or Isitt in the top seat come 2018. Everything that's been accomplished thus far will have been validated, and efforts to continue hastened.

Know it all.

#450 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2017-03-26-10-00-48.png

https://www.facebook...owntownvictoria

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#451 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

going from helps to issit would be the definition of out of the frying pan and into the fire. let's hope the electorate isn't that stupid
  • Nparker, sebberry, jonny and 1 other like this

#452 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

Oh, don't underestimate how well organized and motivated the pro-Isitt movement is in Victoria. There are people who are 100% in full support of the City's agenda in absolutely every way and they'll hit the ground months ahead of the election.

If Isitt doesn't run, that leaves absolutely no fall-back for the movement. Nobody other than Isitt can walk away with a win.

Of course the issue is we have nobody capable of pulling off a win as a centre-of-the-road candidate. And any further right is a definitive no-go.

Young? Doubt he could pull it off. Charlayne? No. Coleman? I dunno. He might not even get elected in 2018.

Know it all.

#453 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

...let's hope the electorate isn't that stupid

From H.L. Mencken

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

• tedward likes this

#454 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

At CFAX, the news is met with 53 comments, and 52 are anti-Helps.

https://www.facebook...636352639711401

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#455 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

At CFAX, the news is met with 53 comments, and 52 are anti-Helps...

As long as people realize the alternative could be even worse.

#456 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

Yes, about 95% of respondents on VV's page say they would be glad if Helps did not run again.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.

#457 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

Be careful what you wish for. There are not enough "centerists" living in the core to elect a leader even if they had one.
  • Nparker, AllseeingEye and jonny like this

#458 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

How about a populist, any Trump like characters in town?

Could campaign around building a wall to keep the drugs out, and make Oak Bay pay for it...

Edited by lanforod, 26 March 2017 - 03:47 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#459 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

How about a populist, any Trump like characters in town?

There's no need to have the pendulum swing that far in the opposite direction.

#460 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

Isn't the curtain enough?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)