• 40,672 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

Isn't the curtain enough?

Oak Bay never sends its finest.

#462 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

At CFAX, the news is met with 53 comments, and 52 are anti-Helps.

https://www.facebook...636352639711401

I think that you are looking at this the wrong way. If Helps doesn't plan to run again and is convinced (rightly) that her plans for higher office are now also shot then the question should be how to restrict the damage she can do in the next 18 months with absolutely no controls on her activism.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#463 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

I think ...the question should be how to restrict the damage she can do in the next 18 months with absolutely no controls on her activism.

Even more important will be countering the more frightening (far, far) left of centre mayoral candidate that's likely to run if Lisa Helps does not. A viable centrist candidate (i.e. not a has-been BC Liberal) will never have been more essential to have on the ballot.

Edited by Nparker, 27 March 2017 - 03:12 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#464 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

I would settle for a few common sense councillors. I would enjoy watching Isitt as Mayor being shot down on every issue.

#465 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

...I would enjoy watching Isitt as Mayor being shot down on every issue.

I was SO tempted to strike through part of this text. 

#466 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

So her response to people who say they'll not bote for her again is "whatever." This speaks volumes about how she interprets her role. Hey, how about "I'm sorry you're unhappy with the job im doing." Too much to ask? She doesnt listen. She only cares about representing those who agree with her. Everyone else should "get a life."
  • Nparker, jonny and A Girl is No one like this

#467 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

I still think the idea that Helps won't run again is a bit of a leap. It seems to me that her comments were that she isn't a politician in the sense that she's not working for reelection. Not quite the same as saying she won't seek the mayoralty again.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#468 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

I still think the idea that Helps won't run again is a bit of a leap. It seems to me that her comments were that she isn't a politician in the sense that she's not working for reelection. Not quite the same as saying she won't seek the mayoralty again.

I think that is a valid point and initially how I read the headline comment as well. Once I read the full interview though it sounded more like she was on the fence.

I think that she is leaving herself an exit ramp. In case the Elsner issues blows back further on her or if the bridge has additional problems I think that she is just making sure that she has a path paved.

#469 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

Good points; however, i guess what bothers me about her comments is that it's one thing to eschew the idea of governing for the sole purpose of getting reelected but its quite another to appear to show contempt for those who disagree with you.
  • Nparker, jonny, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#470 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

^ It would be one thing to have hubris and bravado if you had actually accomplished something in your life. 

• VicHockeyFan, jonny and A Girl is No one like this

#471 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

Aside from the referendum on PR, who do we think will stand for Mayor/Council in the next race?

#472 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

Note, if Isitt runs for Mayor, does that mean he cannot run for council?  If that is the case, I'd love him to take a swing at the Mayor's office - if for no other reason than to stand a decent shot at no longer being on council.

• rjag, jonny and shoeflack like this

#473 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

.. if Isitt runs for Mayor, does that mean he cannot run for council?  If that is the case, I'd love him to take a swing at the Mayor's office - if for no other reason than to stand a decent shot at no longer being on council.

But the consequences should he become mayor are too dire to imagine.  :eek:

• Hotel Mike and rmpeers like this

#474 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

I will check the Book of Revelation to see if either of these scenarios is mentioned.

But seriously, don't tell me Lisa's mooted departure will mean a one way ticket to Isittville.

And, to be fair, I actually find Ben very likeable as a person.I just dont really want him steering the ship.

#475 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

...don't tell me Lisa's mooted departure will mean a one way ticket to Isittville...

Can you think of anyone else currently on Council who has both the profile and the drive to make it to the top spot?

#476 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:24 PM

Hoping for an outsider.
Someone mentioned a rumour about Rob Fleming quitting as mla to take a run but I'm guessing that's less likely now.

#477 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:32 PM

Note, if Isitt runs for Mayor, does that mean he cannot run for council? .

Yup one or the other.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#478 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

...Someone mentioned a rumour about Rob Fleming quitting as mla to take a run but I'm guessing that's less likely now.

As a probable contender for Minister of Education, it seems highly unlikely.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#479 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

I think the best case scenario is Ben stays in the side chair and Lisa keeps him mostly contained.
  • GaryRanson likes this

#480 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

I'd like to see Geoff Young take a run for the lead - he's got a rationality to him that would make him a good fit.  Further, I think he'd be more likely to balance the interests of the SJW's with the pro-business conservatives in a way that could clean up downtown.

• On the Level likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users