Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#41 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

Not all potential good candidates are earning anything close to $200K, in fact most business owners do not make for good mayors within the local government model we have in BC

Agreed. Most business owners don't see anywhere near that in Victoria. Most good executives working for mid to large sized companies here are making $200K+ and those would be the people with the leadership and organizational skills to provide proper oversight.

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:06 PM

We're not going to get the caliber of candidates some people believe are fitting for a capital city until we move beyond the 13 fiefdoms. Someone based out of Colwood, Langford or Central Saanich would be skewered if they made a pitch for Victoria council (or mayor).

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:13 PM

We're not going to get the caliber of candidates some people believe are fitting for a capital city until we move beyond the 13 fiefdoms. Someone based out of Colwood, Langford or Central Saanich would be skewered if they made a pitch for Victoria council (or mayor).

I think Stew Young could handily win any municipality, except maybe North Saanich and Metchosin.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

I think Stew Young could handily win any municipality, except maybe North Saanich and Metchosin.

I am not convinced of that at all

• Coreyburger likes this

#45 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

Local case in point blows all your theories regarding no/few viable candidates: Attwell.

#46 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:26 PM

Local case in point blows all your theories regarding no/few viable candidates: Attwell.

Yes it is possible for someone to win

#47 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:28 PM

People in Saanich were sick of Leonard. Well we got something worse as a result. Grass isn't always greener.

#48 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:03 PM

I can't believe that Helps could beat anyone after the mess she has made of the city. I would vote for anyone with a pulse ahead of her, but then I have a mayor I like, so it is up to you guys to sort this out.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#49 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

Are you kidding? He couldn't even get Ida Chong numbers in Victoria.

I can't believe that Helps could beat anyone after the mess she has made of the city. I would vote for anyone with a pulse ahead of her, but then I have a mayor I like, so it is up to you guys to sort this out.

I doubt a majority feel Helps created the major problems the City is wrestling with.
  • Jill and nagel like this

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

I went on a walk through downtown this evening. It was a zoo alright, an absolute zoo. From groups of people sitting around openly drinking, to a guy and a girl (visibly homeless/members of the street community) involved in a domestic dispute, to a guy wrapped in a blanket riding a bicycle against the flow of Blanshard Street traffic on a bike with no rear tire (it sounded like someone was dragging a shovel). Beggars on many corners, a group heckling pedestrians in front of Burger King, and so on.

I have never seen downtown Victoria in such a state.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

Yeah someone should check in with langford in 20 years and see what they think of Stew then. Their urban planning is nothing short of a disaster waiting to happen.

#52 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:39 PM

so you voted for her last time and now will not vote for her?

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:39 PM

...I have never seen downtown Victoria in such a state.

But we will have several kilometers of separated bike lanes, so things could be worse.  :thumbsup:

• Mike K. and todd like this

#54 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:32 PM

People in Saanich were sick of Leonard. Well we got something worse as a result. Grass isn't always greener.

I don't know. Some things are better with Mayor Attwell, some things are worse. One thing you can say for sure is that it was time for Leonard to go. 

#55 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:05 PM

In my view, at this point Shellie Gudgeon is the main potential challenger for Mayor of Victoria in the 2018 municipal election.

• Nparker likes this

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:44 AM

In my view, at this point Shellie Gudgeon is the main potential challenger for Mayor of Victoria in the 2018 municipal election.

I could agree with that, not sure she wants the job though.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#57 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:22 AM

Atwell's only job had been a software developer and he was effectively unemployed for 7 years prior to his election. I would argue that he has a dearth of leadership or executive skills.

• Nparker likes this

#58 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:23 AM

I could see Bruce carter stepping up for a term as a transition to an MLA or MP role.

#59 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:00 AM

Bruce and Shellie normally would have potential as Councillors this time around but neither is strong enough to campaign for the mayor's chair.

As far as council, right now it's a mix of veterans and popular newcomers so unlike last time, there is very little opportunity for change there.

#60 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:54 AM

Atwell's only job had been a software developer and he was effectively unemployed for 7 years prior to his election. I would argue that he has a dearth of leadership or executive skills.

That was my point... folks saying that it must take a former council member or very strong community leader to knock of Helps... nah. If she disillusions a lot of Victorians, it can be anyone with a semi-strong resume and the ability to talk a good game.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users