APPROVED
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue; 1110-1120 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: 102 (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, penthouse)
Sales status: pre-sales
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condo and ground floor commercial development spanning the east... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca      Official website: thewade.ca
Photo

The Wade (Medical Arts Building redevelopment) | condos and commercial | 5- and 4-storeys | approved

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#181 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 42,882 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

I have a couch along my baseboard heater, never had an issue but never turn it on. The place is boiler heated and stays warm enough with all the heat from the pipes. For really could days the electric fireplace works well enough. Just heat in the bedroom.

Ya, I do not know what floor Mike's unit is on but if surrounded 3 or 4 sides by other units, it sort of stays warm on its own.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

Yup, that's for sure. In my case I'm on a corner, all glass, so only one side of the place is facing another unit and any heat generated only keeps a bathroom and bedroom warmer.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#183 Nparker

Nparker
  • 13,148 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

...The Wade's heating, for example, will be in the form of forced air via ceiling vents as opposed to baseboards...a much more efficient heating system.

Is it better to force heat down from above, than from below? Isn't this making the heat system work against the natural forces of rising heat? Personally, I know I'd rather have my feet warm than my head.  ;)

#184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

Seems to work alright in virtually every store and warehouse, so there's got to be merit to the idea.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#185 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 42,882 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

The technology is called "surface mount cove electric heat."

Oh, that's not ducted then.  That's just electric radiant heat, no forced air.  They just mount up, rather than down.  Ya, they are good in apartments where baseboard space is short.

#186 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:21 PM

Oh, ok I getcha.

Know it all.

#187 Tigger

Tigger
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

I wonder, is that in the new building or the old?

I believe it's the old building, according this illustration, if I'm interpreting correctly.

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 7.02.15 PM.png

#188 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

Ok, I thought so.

When repurposing a former office building (or any old building) into modern homes sometimes you get little oddities like that.

Know it all.

#189 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

What percentage of the units have sold here?

#190 LJ

LJ
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

Is it better to force heat down from above, than from below? Isn't this making the heat system work against the natural forces of rising heat? Personally, I know I'd rather have my feet warm than my head.  ;)

That's how all the houses in the US are built. You have an attic mounted air handler/furnace and an outdoor compressor for A/C.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#191 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 3,375 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

Uh... no. My house had the furnace in the basement and my AC outside all the way up to 2001 when I stopped living there.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#192 LJ

LJ
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

Uh... no. My house had the furnace in the basement and my AC outside all the way up to 2001 when I stopped living there.

I've owned 4 houses in three different states over the years and they all had ceiling heat and cooling. Every new subdivision is the same that I have been to. I have never had a basement though, none of the new houses have them, they are all built on slabs or just a crawl space.

#193 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 3,375 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:29 PM

Where did you live? Cause I grew up in the Midwest and they are still building basements.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 22 March 2017 - 07:30 PM.

#194 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

What percentage of the units have sold here?

I believe over 60%.

Know it all.

#195 LJ

LJ
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

Where did you live?

WA, CA, AZ

#196 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 3,375 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

Everywhere East of the Mississippi. Yet also lived in CA and WA

#197 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 3,375 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

In CA and WA the furnace was always on the main /first floor with air pressure out to the first and second. Yet I saw several basement furnaces in SF

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users