BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#161 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:07 AM

^Nothing like fecal matter wafting from the bathroom into the kitchen!

Edited by sdwright.vic, 22 March 2017 - 06:07 AM.

• Nparker and jonny like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:08 AM

I wonder, is that in the new building or the old?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#163 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:12 AM

Does one of those bedrooms not have a window? That's kind of grotty.

• Rob Randall likes this

#164 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:33 AM

No it doesn't, and thus it cannot be a bedroom.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 22 March 2017 - 06:33 AM.

• Rob Randall and jonny like this

#165 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:44 AM

Ah, the fake window/false advertising debate. The building code is posted on a previous page if you want to make up your own mind.

#166 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

Generally, thicker walls can not be moved (load-bearing), or thicker walls contain big mechanical stuff, like drain pipes from your unit and the units above.

In the above, re the bathroom, the designer likely had a choice.  Make the bathroom door exit to the living room, or the kitchen.  Frankly, nobody likes to hear bathroom noises from the living room, and also you'd lose wall space there.

It's not an ideal set-up, but I can understand it.  The w/d is likely there because that wall it backs onto can handle the drains.  I might have put the laundry at the entry closet, and the entry closet where the laundry is, if possible.  Then you have less laundry noise in the living room.  But for various reasons, that might not have been possible.

I also might have reduced the size of the linear kitchen (since there already is a dining area) and made the bathroom bigger if I could find a way to fit double sinks in it.  His and hers, if you will.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#167 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:00 AM

Ah, the fake window/false advertising debate. The building code is posted on a previous page if you want to make up your own mind.

Whatever the ruling is, the fact is you can use it as a sleeping room.   Whether you want to, that's another matter.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:27 AM

I'm pretty sure we've been over this before.

Units with windowless bedrooms are referred to as "juniors," meaning the space could be used for a bedroom, or it could be used for a den. Your choice. But it's a heck of a large den and turns what would otherwise be a studio unit into a unit with a separate room or a one-bedroom unit with the potential of having two bedrooms or a really large den in addition to a bedroom.

The unit Tigger references would be a Junior 2BR. There's nothing false or misrepresented here, that's what you call units with large dens and that's standard ops for the industry across the continent.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#169 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

National Building Code of Canada

The National Building Code of Canada (NBCC), on which the Provincial Codes are based, has very clear requirements as it relates to bedroom windows and how the bedroom window serves three distinct purposes in the home:

Light (at least five per cent of the floor area served)
Ventilation (at least 0.28m² or 3 ft² or an adequate year-round mechanical ventilation)
Emergency Escape: An Emergency Escape requires that each bedroom must have a door that leads directly to the exterior of the building or have a properly-sized egress window that can be opened from the inside without the use of keys, tools, hardware or special knowledge (unless this bedroom has a sprinkler system installed).
Building Code article 9.7.1.2. establishes the general requirement that all bedrooms must have at least one window that is large enough to be used as an exit in an emergency. The specific requirements are as follows:

Except where the suite has a sprinkler, each bedroom or combination bedroom shall have at least one outside window or exterior door operable from the inside without the use of key, tools or special knowledge and without the removal of sashes or hardware.
The window referred to in Sentence (1) shall provide and unobstructed opening of not less than 0.35 m² (542 in² or 3.8 ft²) in area with no dimension less than 380 mm (15 inches), and maintain the required opening during an emergency without the need for additional support.
If the window referred to in Sentence (1) is provided with security bars, the security bars shall be operable from the inside without the use of any tools or special knowledge.
If a window well is required, it must be out from the window at least 550mm (about 22") to provide safe passage. Awning style windows for example opening into a window well typically won't work because they tend to obstruct clear passage unless the window well is unusually large.

It is further recommended that the bottom of any egress window opening or sill not be higher than 1.5m (5 feet) above the floor. Now this can be somewhat challenging for any bedroom in a basement, so some means of built-in furniture below the window to assist in the event of an emergency is required.

#170 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

New buildings have sprinklers, so no window is required.

Except where the suite has a sprinkler, each bedroom or combination bedroom shall have at least one outside window or exterior door operable from the inside without the use of key, tools or special knowledge and without the removal of sashes or hardware.

Under the 1998 BC Building Code, sprinklers were mandated in all new residential buildings over three storeys, all high-rise buildings over six storeys and all care facilities. These requirements have remained the same through the 2006 and 2012 BC Building Codes.

https://news.gov.bc....fire-sprinklers

#171 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

Right. It's a completely different world as far as new-build construction is concerned.

Folks who haven't checked out new-build projects like this aren't even aware at how far things have come and how different modern developments are compared to offerings from even ten years ago.

The Wade's heating, for example, will be in the form of forced air via ceiling vents as opposed to baseboards. That gives folks more room and options for interior design (no baseboards to get in the way or worry about obstructing) and a much more efficient heating system.

Know it all.

#172 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

Forced air, in both buildings?  That's odd.

#173 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

Can't say both, but in the new-build, yes. You've got what are essentially the same endings as you see in ducts within industrial buildings. You don't even notice them.

For a studio or a small unit, not having to contend with baseboard heating is a MAJOR +1.

Know it all.

#174 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

I'm just not familiar with how you control that, individual controls on forced air.  Neat.  Forced air is great, it's quick heat.  But usually requires a somewhat complex return air component too.

#175 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

Smartphone operated, to-boot, along with standard wall-mounted programmable thermostat. So you can set your desired temperature just before you get home.

The technology is called "surface mount cove electric heat."

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.

#176 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

I have a couch along my baseboard heater, never had an issue but never turn it on. The place is boiler heated and stays warm enough with all the heat from the pipes. For really could days the electric fireplace works well enough. Just heat in the bedroom.

#177 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

I have a couch along my baseboard heater, never had an issue but never turn it on. The place is boiler heated and stays warm enough with all the heat from the pipes. For really could days the electric fireplace works well enough. Just heat in the bedroom.

Ya, I do not know what floor Mike's unit is on but if surrounded 3 or 4 sides by other units, it sort of stays warm on its own.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

Yup, that's for sure. In my case I'm on a corner, all glass, so only one side of the place is facing another unit and any heat generated only keeps a bathroom and bedroom warmer.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.

#179 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

...The Wade's heating, for example, will be in the form of forced air via ceiling vents as opposed to baseboards...a much more efficient heating system.

Is it better to force heat down from above, than from below? Isn't this making the heat system work against the natural forces of rising heat? Personally, I know I'd rather have my feet warm than my head.  ;)

#180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

Seems to work alright in virtually every store and warehouse, so there's got to be merit to the idea.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users