BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#2281 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:26 AM

blackout shades in the living room.

#2282 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 06:15 AM

The space between the barn-door and bedrooms lets too much light in. Our master has about an inch gap ( like every other suite I'm assuming) that I'd like to block somehow. I was thinking of some kind of weatherstripping on the door side. Anyone come up with a solution that you like yet?

The doors have those translucent panels that let light in too. Stop light at the source with a blackout blind on the windows. Or if not an option, then get an eye mask. At least those are cheap (and easy to install!)

#2283 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 06:16 AM

that’s not really stopping light at the source. that would require a spacecraft of some type.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 June 2021 - 06:18 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#2284 m3m

m3m
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:08 AM

I would be in favour of our council erecting a Mr. Burns-like sun blocker

IMG_1251.JPG

• sebberry likes this

#2285 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:12 AM

the other thing you could do is rearrange your sleep schedule just into times where the sun is down.

#2286 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:23 AM

Barn doors are great for, well, barns. 

#2287 scotto203

scotto203
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:25 AM

The space between the barn-door and bedrooms lets too much light in. Our master has about an inch gap ( like every other suite I'm assuming) that I'd like to block somehow. I was thinking of some kind of weatherstripping on the door side. Anyone come up with a solution that you like yet?

This is the weatherstripping that I used https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07Z4RNHVK - I added it to the sides and top and may also still do the bottom too.

I found that it helps a decent amount for light and sound, although you'll obviously still get light through the translucent panels without a curtain of some kind, or getting a new door without them.

• Moxuz likes this

#2288 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:15 PM

This is the weatherstripping that I used https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07Z4RNHVK - I added it to the sides and top and may also still do the bottom too.

I found that it helps a decent amount for light and sound, although you'll obviously still get light through the translucent panels without a curtain of some kind, or getting a new door without them.

I bought the exact same ones for the barn door that came on the bathroom.

#2289 ollivier1

ollivier1
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:18 AM

that's great.  If you could share a picture that would help. 

#2290 scotto203

scotto203
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:55 PM

I tried to line it up as close to the wall as possible without it rubbing.

PXL_20210619_034841827.jpg
  • Moxuz, ollivier1, anonymous456 and 1 other like this

#2291 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 05:29 AM

Long time Victoria residents and owner to be (in July) at 1411 Cook.  

Just wondering about the 1st strata mtg today, is it a victual meeting and can all the owners join in and how? 

If we are not allowed to join in yet, could someone pass along a couple suggestions/messages to the meeting?  Thanks in advice!

- If we allow residents rent/let out their parking space, it should be limited to other residents in our buildings only.  Otherwise we would have safety issues if outside people have access to our garage, as happened in other condo buildings where there isn't a rule or the rule is not being enforced.  

- For rooftop common garden, when it is finished, we shouldn't need to hire a full time gardener (with $50/hr pay?).  We are experienced gardeners and can help taking care it, with other Wade residents who have the same interests.  So please count us in.    

Have a good meeting and a great day!

#2292 ollivier1

ollivier1
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 06:14 AM

I tried to line it up as close to the wall as possible without it rubbing.

PXL_20210619_034841827.jpg

that's great. I just ordered some!

#2293 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:14 AM

If we allow residents rent/let out their parking space, it should be limited to other residents in our buildings only.  Otherwise we would have safety issues if outside people have access to our garage, as happened in other condo buildings where there isn't a rule or the rule is not being enforced. 

I can't believe any strata would allow access to the parking garage to anyone other than a resident or a guest.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2294 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:31 AM

I can't believe any strata would allow access to the parking garage to anyone other than a resident or a guest.

I guess if it is not clearly spelled out and enforced, someone (be it owners or renters who have unused parking space and would like rent it out) might not pay attention and rent it out to outside people by month or CarBnB?  

Edited by freedom_2008, 21 June 2021 - 07:35 AM.

#2295 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:11 AM

I'm curious how the gardening will work out, too.

• freedom_2008 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2296 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:34 AM

i'm pretty sue there is not an organized ring of thieves who rent parking stalls in condos on a monthly basis then use the access to break in.

people just break in the old fashioned way - following someone in.  it won't normally matter if that is a resident-owner, resident-renter or stall-only-renter.  everyone is sloppy.

• Rob Randall likes this

#2297 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 01:29 PM

i'm pretty sue there is not an organized ring of thieves who rent parking stalls in condos on a monthly basis then use the access to break in.

people just break in the old fashioned way - following someone in.  it won't normally matter if that is a resident-owner, resident-renter or stall-only-renter.  everyone is sloppy.

Organized or not, thieves or not.  Non-residents shouldn't be parking inside residents garage on a monthly or daily basis, period. IMHO.  We will bring this to the Strata if it is not done by July.

Edited by freedom_2008, 21 June 2021 - 01:34 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#2298 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 01:52 PM

Organized or not, thieves or not.  Non-residents shouldn't be parking inside residents garage on a monthly or daily basis, period. IMHO.  We will bring this to the Strata if it is not done by July.

yes. 

all decisions close to home should be made regardless of any evidence.

#2299 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 01:59 PM

Organized or not, thieves or not. Non-residents shouldn't be parking inside residents garage on a monthly or daily basis, period. IMHO. We will bring this to the Strata if it is not done by July.

It looks like the residents are causing parking problems already.

This was just sent out by Proline:

Parking Issues

Exterior Parking Stalls (adjacent to Courtyard) – Please do not park in these stalls or allow your visitors to park in the exterior stalls adjacent the courtyard and parkade ramp, off Johnson Street. All of these are assigned to units and reserved 24 hours a day, and further use may be subject to towing. Visitors parking is on the street or inside the first gate.

Visitor Parking – Any residents using visitor parking are asked to stop immediately. Those spaces are for visitors of the Wade only.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2300 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 01:59 PM

You would think that non-residents might actually be more careful as they know they have been granted an expensive privilege.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users