BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#1901 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:40 PM

You are right it is my age. But I seem to manage with just flipping a light switch.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1902 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:44 PM

it's really nice to ask Siri to turn down the lights or use the remote to turn them on so you can see the toilet at 3AM.

can't siri go to the washroom for you?  cut out the middle-man.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 March 2021 - 03:44 PM.

• Bruce Wayne likes this

#1903 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:51 PM

can't siri go to the washroom for you?  cut out the middle-man.

Like... pee on your phone?   :confused:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1904 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:55 PM

You are right it is my age. But I seem to manage with just flipping a light switch.

I go to bed at night and push one button on my Philips Hue remote and it shuts off all my Hue and Caseta lights.  It's just about convenience.  I wake up to my lights coming on and when I close the door as I leave for work in the morning, all the lights turn off.  The convenience is great.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1905 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:49 PM

Probably my age but but all these remote control light switches in what is a tiny apartment seem like real overkill. One more thing to break. 

If you think smart lighting is overkill in a tiny apartment, you'd get a kick out of the ones for tents. I'm sure there are a few in town to check out!

Edited by kitty surprise, 08 March 2021 - 04:49 PM.

#1906 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 08:44 PM

I know a guy who built a $15M dollar house with all the automation available at the time. He never figured out how to make it all work, consequently the blinds were always in the same position and the lights were either on or off all the time.

I like the convenience of a wall switch, never have to look for it, never have to worry about a dead battery, and when I am unable to flip a switch I will have somebody shoot me.

I'm betting that very few here had to walk across the room to change the TV channel.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1907 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 08:54 PM

I have mine slowly dim at sunset and in increments until it’s time for bed. I can also have one switch turn off every light in my place. And get this.. there’s also switches to use if you don’t want to do any “smart” things! ;)
  • sebberry likes this

#1908 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:00 PM

I have mine slowly dim at sunset and in increments until it’s time for bed. I can also have one switch turn off every light in my place. And get this.. there’s also switches to use if you don’t want to do any “smart” things! ;)

Exactly. It's not an "either/or" proposition, its an "in addition to" proposition. Some people don't see a use for the the extra convenience, and some people do.

#1909 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:13 PM

I had someone ask me what I would do to turn off my lights if my internet went out and I said.. I just flip the switch??

#1910 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:28 PM

Each to his own, but how many lights are there in the place to begin with by the way.

#1911 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:20 PM

I had someone ask me what I would do to turn off my lights if my internet went out and I said.. I just flip the switch??

I'm pretty sure Caseta and Hue work locally with no internet connection.  It's only when the power goes out you actually have to use the switch.

• Moxuz likes this

#1912 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:15 AM

I'm pretty sure Caseta and Hue work locally with no internet connection. It's only when the power goes out you actually have to use the switch.

Lol, and if the power goes out, your lights won't work anyway, light switch or not (unless you have a generator or backup power of some sort)
  • Mike K., LJ and Moxuz like this

#1913 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:31 AM

Each to his own, but how many lights are there in the place to begin with by the way.

14 ceiling lights in my small unit including bathroom and closets
Kitchen has two switches to control it, one for hallway, one for bedroom, then bathroom has three. That’s why being able to turn most of them off with one command is helpful for me

Edited by Moxuz, 09 March 2021 - 08:34 AM.

#1914 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:28 AM

14 ceiling lights in my small unit including bathroom and closets
Kitchen has two switches to control it, one for hallway, one for bedroom, then bathroom has three. That’s why being able to turn most of them off with one command is helpful for me

Or just to have scenes for different... moods.  

Grab an Eve door sensor to automate lights based on coming/going.  

Does your bathroom exhaust fan have a schedule timer switch?  I can't stand those and use a countdown switch instead so the fan can run for an hour after my shower and turn itself off.

#1915 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:33 PM

The bathroom fan doesn’t even have an off switch. It’s always on, very quiet. Hopefully it isn’t exhausting all the heat in my place..because the door to the bathroom is a non-sealing barn door

#1916 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:40 PM

In a lot of modern condos there is positive air pressure in the hallways. The entrance doors to units allow air under them. The bathroom fans run continuously to vent the air and keep the circulation pattern going.

The idea is to keep unit air such as cooking smells within unit rather than the halls.

#1917 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:46 PM

That's bizarre and it would drive me crazy.  As for cooking smells, positive pressure in the hallways does very little to eliminate this.

#1918 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:54 PM

Ah that is exactly what’s happening - hallway has huge air pressure and loud fans running

#1919 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:55 PM

The condo also has air fans in the ceiling that bring in outside air - little odd in the winter when I’m heating but still neat. Looks like they swivel shutE5F4C1A0-5ECD-49FB-B977-070A9590F7F4.jpeg

Edited by Moxuz, 09 March 2021 - 12:55 PM.

#1920 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:36 PM

I am learning a lot about some condo details all of which is strangely interesting.

• sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users