20 million zlotys stolen from Bank of Poland..."

(Mad Magazine ca. 1961)

Best post today....so far.   :banana:   :thumbsup:

#62 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

The propensity for certain people or interest groups in this city to (a) b!tch ceaselessly about seemingly anything and (b) in the same breath exaggerate beyond all credibility really is truly something to behold. Witness this gem in today's Letters section:

http://www.timescolo...toria-1.2331651

So the regional population is going to double in the next 20 years - from the current ~ 375,000 to what......750,000 people? Really??

Funny, but every projection I've read in recent years, from creditable government sources that actually pay attention to this stuff, puts the CRD population by that time at *maybe* 430,000 in ~ 20 years.

Even if we go out on a limb and say, due to increasing boomer retirees and inflow from 'rich' mainlanders cashing in on their newfound real estate wealth, that we reach 450K, that's still hundreds of thousands less than this person is apparently losing sleep over. But hey, lets just toss out any old number to stir up unnecessary 'fear and loathing'....sigh.

• Nparker likes this

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:01 PM

What is to be gained for your typical resident from showcasing Victoria?

I don't know, maybe it would inspire a tourist somewhere to schedule a trip?

Some people like to think the size of a place is directly related to how many people know about it. Mexico City is gigantic because many people know about it. Pisa is small because very few people know about it. That sort of thing. Victoria is smaller than Vancouver because Victoria is a well-kept secret. Don't tell anybody. And Tofino is so small because Tofino is ultra top secret. Or maybe not.

Anyway, maybe the writer isn't aware that so-called royals have visited Victoria several times before. No big population boom followed in the wake of any of those previous visits.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

Downtown Victoria Times Colonist Feature

Commencing November 23, Downtown Victoria will have a new monthly tabloid magazine in the Times Colonist. We will feature ALL things Downtown such as fashion, fitness, finance, and food authored by you, our members! This is a very exciting opportunity for us to connect our community in and around Downtown.

Watch our Facebook and website as things move forward or contact our Marketing Manager at kristy@downtownvictoria.ca. T

he Times Colonist will be selling advertising space in this feature at a reduced rate. Should you be interested in booking advertising space, contact the Jason at the Times Colonist.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

^ why do you keep posting in blue highligher??

• Jill and todd like this

#66 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:05 PM

^ why do you keep posting in blue highligher??

I never seen that with VHF's posts before. It must be the new mood filter that lets others know how you're feeling.
  • Nparker likes this

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:43 PM

That's pretty good. I've never seen that before.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:09 PM

I never seen that with VHF's posts before. It must be the new mood filter that lets others know how you're feeling.

Surprisingly relaxed:

mc40fingSML.jpg

Or is that sarcasm?

Edited by todd, 22 September 2016 - 10:12 PM.

#69 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:07 PM

T-C really does need an editor. Or two. Someone needs to check their facts because a lot of this very basic elemental 'research' stuff occurs far too frequently. Witness the apparently revised year of Princess Diana's passing: http://www.timescolo...otégé-1.2354177

#70 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:32 PM

In today's print edition there was a headline about a Ponzi schemer who defrauded people out of $200 million. Then when you read the story it was 200 people who lost $100 million. The online edition has been corrected.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#71 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:21 AM

Jack Knox in todays TC

News item: A new Insights West poll says 89 per cent of British Columbians believe a Donald Trump presidency would be bad for Canada.

One-third of Canadians want Ottawa to seriously consider severing ties with the U.S. if Trump wins.

Wrong.

Nobody has as much respect for Canadians as me, Donald Trump.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.DLHs3qfY.dpuf

#72 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:24 AM

If you can't see Jack's column on line, go out and buy a paper as this is history in the making and is sure to gather traction with the voters in Washington.....State.

• todd likes this

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

Friends and family are mourning a 17-year-old Victoria girl who died four days before Christmas from a suspected fentanyl overdose.

Family members could not be reached Monday, but Beth Klimek was identified on social media as the girl who died.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.DdKYh3is.dpuf

“In the early hours of the winter solstice, Kami’s baby, Beth Klimek, slipped away at the age of 17,” Shane Walters wrote in a Facebook post.

“I didn’t know Beth very well but I did know that she could play some musical instruments and was an honour student before she got led astray these past 6 months or so. I knew she was sweet, loved blowing bubbles, swimming, and laughing. She was named for the nurse who helped deliver her in 1999,” the post said.

The family learned of Klimek’s death from a police officer who knocked on her grandmother’s door at 4 a.m.

“We strode arcades of anguish all day yesterday as the radio played lunatic commercial songs of Christmas cheer,” Walters wrote. “I think about all that I have seen, done, felt, and realized between when I was 17 and now, at 53. Beth will never have those years.”

“If your child or someone close to you is using, find the courage to confront them. Ask them to read this grieving grandmother’s letter to a child taken from her and those who loved her,” Barnard wrote, before posting a text that included the following, attributed to Diane Larose Klimek:

“She will never come back, I will never see her smile again, she will never hug me again, I will never hear, ‘I love you gramma’ or ‘I hate you gramma’ … I’m thinking about all the times we spent at rock festivals, haunting thrift stores looking for treasures, talked about everything that was going on and fought about the negative things like the drugs she was taking and how I still thought I could somehow convince her to get help for,” the post said.

“I’d give anything to have her hating me just so she’d still be here and that would give me another chance to try and get her off all the drugs she was doing. … Whatever she thought she was taking, it was laced with Death.”

That's interesting.   That's an article written almost exclusively with information from Facebook.

• todd likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#74 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:04 AM

^ Also in today's TC is an article sympathetic to a herion dealer when was sentenced to 6 months in jail.

I wonder if the writer's opinion would change if it turned out that he supplied the fentanyl laced drugs to Ms. Klimek.

I get that it is the holidays season and heartwarming stories are good for donations to the TC fund and advertiser sales but it is starting to get a little pathetic.

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:16 PM

TC taking lots of heat on FB for the article on OD girl.

#76 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:35 PM

TC taking lots of heat on FB for the article on OD girl.

Examples?

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

Just go to the comments on the article. Some by family members.

#78 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:29 PM

I can't find any comments.

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

I can't find any comments.

https://m.facebook.c...&id=50465429712

#80 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

OK, thanks.

I don't know; was the TC off base in using those comments? I feel it is a significant story that shouldn't be swept under the rug, even if telling it fairly causes the family distress. Tough call, but we are in the midst of a crisis that is killing good people.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users