Photo

2017 Pacific Links Championship (golf) - at Bear Mountain - September 11-17/17

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:47 AM

Did you see his next shot into the hole for par?

Yes, but being an old seafarer I love those water shots, as sooner or later, something goes overboard.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:07 AM

Too bad the weather has not been perfect for them.  There was hope for better weather yesterday.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:42 AM

How good are these guys, eh?  Top of the leaderboard after one day.

You know, it's the biggest golf tournament in Victoria's history, but I only heard one live report from CFAX, and they had Bill O'Kell out covering it.  The TC does not appear to have any updated article.  Huh.

"Local" excitement aside due to the presumed exposure of the city and BMGC in particular, is it not generally fact that golf is in a perceptible decline in North America in terms of club memberships and overall participation? And that in many parts of the continent courses have actually been sold, plowed under and reverted either to their natural state or sold off for development?

When I was in my teens/20's like most people I knew others who played at local clubs semi-regularly, were "junior" members in their teens and/or full members at Uplands the RVGC and other clubs; today 30's years later I don't know of anyone in my immediate friend, family, social or business circle that does any of those things.

There was a time when it was fairly common for a business-workplace to hold a fun golf game for the troops for team building purposes etc. The last time I was involved with any corporate org where that happened was over 15 years ago - and at that when they took a staff vote on what everyone wanted to do it was a very close result, the only reason golf beat out paint-ball was because none of the *old* guys on the executive were interested in any activity requiring them to exert themselves and perspire.....

Aside from my brother in law volunteering for this event primarily because he happens to live on BM, I know exactly one person who has any particular interest in the event, and that is because his company is one of the sponsors. Beyond that its pretty much "crickets chirping".

#24 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

PAPERCLIP removal please.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

Scott McCarron broke the course record with a 62 yesterday, and Miguel Angel Jimenez lowered it to 61 today.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:53 PM

Scott McCarron broke the course record with a 62 yesterday, and Miguel Angel Jimenez lowered it to 61 today.

Any water shots today?

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:18 PM

McCarron and Montgomery onto the 2nd playoff hole now.  6:18pm.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:26 PM

Now Arnold Palmer has gone and died, and it has pre-empted the live playoff on the Golf channel with a tribute.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:17 PM

Colin Montgomery has won the Pacific Links Bear Mountain golf tournament, in a playoff victory over Scott McCarron.

#30 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:08 PM

McCarron made the same shot into the 18th green every time he played it, yesterday and today. Hit it pin high and then sucked it back off the green. He needed to hit it 10 yards farther and then suck it back to the pin, he didn't deserve to win it.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:24 PM

As for the future of the event, tournament director David Skitt said: “Sure, there’s a chance it could be back.”

A de-briefing will be held, players’ opinions will be gathered, but it will come down to whether or not it is economically viable as talks are ongoing with government officials and the likes of B.C. Tourism.

Montgomerie, McCarron and Jimenez said they would all love to be back.

Total attendance was not available, but a source said the tournament drew roughly 6,000 per day and had targeted more like 10,000.

Montgomerie earned $375,000 for the win, while McCarron took home $220,000 as runner-up. Rutledge made $10,500 for his placing.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.BrqxQbLp.dpuf

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:27 PM

^^  I'm not sure how that attendance compares to the 2010 Skins Game up there.  That was a heck of a 2-day event.

http://golfvancouver...lus-skins-game/

#33 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:50 PM

I played today on the same setup that the pros used, only downside was, after three weeks of non-stop, 24 hour a day work, no grounds crew showed up today, so the greens weren't cut. So they were a tad slower than normal. I would have needed an appearance fee to have made any money.

Oh, and if anybody needs any communication wire there is about 50 miles of it lying around coiled up ready to be tossed, make that recycled.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

I played today on the same setup that the pros used, only downside was, after three weeks of non-stop, 24 hour a day work, no grounds crew showed up today, so the greens weren't cut. So they were a tad slower than normal. I would have needed an appearance fee to have made any money.

Oh, and if anybody needs any communication wire there is about 50 miles of it lying around coiled up ready to be tossed, make that recycled.

So what did you shoot, 65 or so?

#35 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:29 PM

The course looks good on the highlights but it really is too bad that the cameras have such a clear view of transmission lines and plain chain link fencing on certain holes.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:36 PM

The course looks good on the highlights but it really is too bad that the cameras have such a clear view of transmission lines and plain chain link fencing on certain holes.

Ya, that chain-link I thought was pretty bush league.  Was surprised that had not been dealt with better.  A sponsor ad on green board would have looked better.

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

Or obscure it with some of that rustic farm-style fencing that the city of Victoria (of all places) seems to be obsessed with lately. In the city those fences can look wildly out of place but at Bear Mountain they'd be fine.

Obscuring the lines more than they already have done might be difficult/expensive, but methinks a few more strategically placed arbutus or garry oak trees could work wonders, at least from the POV of the TV cameras.

#38 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

I'm trying to think of where there is chain link fencing that would be observed, I can only think of one location and if that is where it was, on 17, it is on a very steep sidehill where other types of fencing would be hard to place.

#39 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

I'm trying to think of where there is chain link fencing that would be observed, I can only think of one location and if that is where it was, on 17, it is on a very steep sidehill where other types of fencing would be hard to place.

Why do they need fencing at all on the golf links.

But it does make sense to use that type of fencing since the word "links" originated in Scotland. Although Bear Hill does not have sand dunes it is on the coast.

And on the coast we have boats with anchors attached to chain, so there might me some logic to using chain on the links at the Bear Hill location.

This reasoning is a bit of a stretch for someone like myself who doesn't golf.

The word "links" comes via the Scots language from the Old English word hlinc : "rising ground, ridge"[1] and refers to an area of coastal sand dunes and sometimes to open parkland.

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Links_(golf)

#40 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:17 AM

Or obscure it with some of that rustic farm-style fencing that the city of Victoria (of all places) seems to be obsessed with lately. In the city those fences can look wildly out of place but at Bear Mountain they'd be fine.

Obscuring the lines more than they already have done might be difficult/expensive, but methinks a few more strategically placed arbutus or garry oak trees could work wonders, at least from the POV of the TV cameras.

split rail?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users