Photo

The Cottage Picnic + Play | Victoria | 3111 Cedar Hill Rd. at Lang | Closed in 2017

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:38 AM

The question is if the rest of society should help with that daycare costs. The argument in favour is it makes having children easier on parents, and it allows more productive people in the workforce. This all helps pay for old people either directly or via investment in equities retirees liquidate.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

The question is if the rest of society should help with that daycare costs. The argument in favour is it makes having children easier on parents, and it allows more productive people in the workforce. This all helps pay for old people either directly or via investment in equities retirees liquidate.

And the argument against, is that if you can't afford to pay to have your kids looked after, or trade off daycare, or have other family supports, you should not have kids, or you should wait until your situation changes.  You should not expect a taxpayer subsidy.

• weirdie likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:21 AM

And the argument against, is that if you can't afford to pay to have your kids looked after, or trade off daycare, or have other family supports, you should not have kids, or you should wait until your situation changes. You should not expect a taxpayer subsidy.

Yes but I think most economists would tell you that is short sighted. Today's workers depend on today's kids to support them in retirement. Declining fertility and restrictions on immigration are a huge generational problem in first world countries.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:01 AM

Yes but I think most economists would tell you that is short sighted. Today's workers depend on today's kids to support them in retirement. Declining fertility and restrictions on immigration are a huge generational problem in first world countries.

Right, so stay in school, graduate with a useful degree or trade qualification, then have all the kids you want while you take time off from your BETTER job, where you can afford childcare.

Don't have a kid at 18, then expect us to pay your childcare while you work at Burger King. 

Under both the above scenarios, we get the same number of additional kids, but under the former we don't have to support your poor choices.

What thread are we in?

Oh, the new restaurant, huh, interesting concept, not sure it'll fly.  Whatever happened to Chuck E. Cheese?

• weirdie likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

^I agree. They showed a map on the news the other night of available daycare spaces in and around Vancouver and saying how hard it was to get one and how super expensive it was if you did get one. My question is, why don't more people start daycares then? There is huge demand and you can charge huge prices why aren't people leaping into the void?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#26 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

I started one but I got shut down. Some bureaucrat decided emptying ashtrays and returning liquor bottles wasn't an "appropriate playtime activity".
  • Nparker likes this

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

I started one but I got shut down...

You should have had a sacred fire. I understand children love those.

#28 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:46 AM

Lots of activity at the location and on the website thecottage.xyz, possibly open near the end of August? Interesting that they are offering pre sales on their website at a significant discount.
  • Mike K. likes this
The gene pool could use a little chlorine!

#29 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

The Cottage has been open since the beginning of September.

http://www.thecottage.xyz/

20161117_124542.jpg

#30 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:57 PM

^ yeah, wife and kids have already been once. It's okay was the verdict, IIRC.

#31 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

Went went a few weeks back with my two young girls. The concept is neat and my girls had fun, but it was expensive and the food was just ok. We paid $55 I think for lunch and for them to enter the playground, which one was free because we spent over "x" amount of dollars. 

One had "grilled cheese with fruit AND veggies", I think $7, and they got a multigrain bread grilled cheese with 3 slices of cucumber, 2 carrot sticks and no fruit. When we inquired about the fruit part the lady said either or, depending what they had... clearly the menu said fruit AND veggies. *sigh*

The sandwich I had was good, the fries were good but the portions small and for $15 I don't think it was worth it.

They can justify their prices because it's "healthier" and "organic" stuff but I'm not sold on it. 

I doubt we'll be back.

Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#32 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:00 AM

One had "grilled cheese with fruit AND veggies", I think $7, and they got a multigrain bread grilled cheese with 3 slices of cucumber, 2 carrot sticks and no fruit. When we inquired about the fruit part the lady said either or, depending what they had... clearly the menu said fruit AND veggies. *sigh*

I doubt we'll be back.

I think parents put up with this crap because, hey, you gotta choose your battles and having a successful outing with a bunch of kids is like planning D-Day and it's not worth losing your sh!t over a piece of strawberry.

But imagine going to The Keg and saying to the server, "...but the menu said steak AND lobster..."

A new restaurant  is a tough gig, especially one with a novel concept and a lot of money in renovations. They have to hit it out of the park day one, with awesome food, service and word of mouth reputation.

#33 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:28 PM

But imagine going to The Keg and saying to the server, "...but the menu said steak AND lobster..."

A new restaurant  is a tough gig, especially one with a novel concept and a lot of money in renovations. They have to hit it out of the park day one, with awesome food, service and word of mouth reputation.

This wasn't the header on the menu, this was the description. 

Grilled cheese sandwich with fruit and veggies. I would expect to get all of this. If I'm going to pay $7 for a grilled cheese sandwich, on "breads with seeds", as the kids say, then I best get more than 3 circles of cucumbers and 2 carrot sticks. 

Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:02 PM

The Cottage Picnic + Play – Cedar Hill Road – closes its doors permanently

The announcement was made yesterday on Facebook.

MORE:

• Matt R. likes this

#35 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

I'm kind of surprised they didn't write that they've decided to consciously uncouple from the business.
  • Redd42 likes this

#36 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

Lol

Matt.

#37 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

Comments on their Facebook page make it seem like they ran a Groupon type promotion that they will not be giving refunds for. Folks are talking about having to get chargebacks through their credit card companies.

#38 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:04 PM

I'm kind of surprised they didn't write that they've decided to consciously uncouple from the business.

Cabin 12 folded and now this didn't make 12 months. Not surprised, as the location is terrible.

#39 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

Agreed it is not the best place for a business. But a great business idea will overcome the location obstacle.

This was NOT a great business. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:31 AM

But a great business idea will overcome the location obstacle.

A great business idea would not choose that location.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users