BUILT
Bowker Collection
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Bowker Avenue at Cadboro Bay Road
Municipality: Oak Bay
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The 43-home, four-storey Bowker Collection is conceived as a contemporary classic of distinctive craft and qua... (view full profile)
Learn more about Bowker Collection on Citified.ca
Photo

[Oak Bay] Bowker Collection | Condos, commercial space | 4-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

Distinguish the ground floor residential units. Clad them in something different. There's just way too much brick. It looks bleak.

Maybe Abstract had bricks left over from the OB Ave packing crate.
  • Nparker likes this

#22 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

here are some more docs about this project like a floorplan, site plan & what other changes might come to that intersection
https://oakbay.civic.../document/19147
https://oakbay.civic.../document/19149
https://oakbay.civic.../document/19150
https://oakbay.civic.../document/19151

i don't know what the problem is with brick. what am i missing? it's like you guys don't know what cool things can be done with it, like the new tate modern addition. if anything the tumbled brick they want to use on this building will give it a warmer & more rustic look, which makes sense considering the neighbourhood. i also noticed the stairwells will be covered with channel glass. i wonder if someone has been reading my posts. i also noticed the squared-off end of the building where the streets are at an angle. the ground floor has that curved window to match the v-shape of the lot but I thought they might have done the same thing on the upper floors.

the balconies seem to be borrowed from corbusier's chandigarh secretariat
1920px-Chandigarh_Secretariat.jpg
  • thundergun likes this

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:46 AM

Oak Bay residents are divided on whether a four-storey, 43-unit development is right for a triangular parcel of land at Cadboro Bay Road and Bowker Avenue.

On Monday night, some residents told councillors the mixed-use, 73,790-square-foot building is too big for the space, given its minimal setback from the road and the fact that it will take up 88 per cent of the property.

Nancy Barr said the development is too imposing for the street. “I don’t understand why council is letting a developer tell them what’s needed,” she said.

Dylan Dawson lives on Bowker Avenue and will be in the shadow of the proposed development. Dawson, who has two daughters, said he’s concerned about the number of residents who will be looking down on his yard and into his windows.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.NUHkjgLL.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:59 AM

Nancy Barr said the development is too imposing for the street. “I don’t understand why council is letting a developer tell them what’s needed,” she said...Dylan Dawson lives on Bowker Avenue and will be in the shadow of the proposed development. Dawson, who has two daughters, said he’s concerned about the number of residents who will be looking down on his yard and into his windows...

Concerns taken directly from the NIMBY playbook.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

Two daughters.  Well, Mr. Dawson, you should have looked to see what the spot was zoned for.  That little building was not going to be there forever.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

The rendering makes it look like its cobbled together from other Abstract projects. Cladding from the Foul Bay bldg., jut-out box section left over from Black&White.
It's getting to the point where you can recognize an Abstract project without seeing any signage.
  • aastra, Redd42 and mbjj like this

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

The rendering makes it look like its cobbled together from other Abstract projects...

It's not the most aesthetically pleasing of projects, but I don't think it's out of scale for the site, despite the (same old) NIMBY protests.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

Council sends Bowker to public hearing

Oak Bay council yet to set date for final public input

http://www.oakbaynew...public-hearing/

#29 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

For large projects in Oak Bay you never want to start with proposing what you actually intend to build. Start big then whittle it down.

Need to give the council an opportunity to look tough.

Plan B brings a bright future: https://issuu.com/bl...928190744267/22

Edited by todd, 07 April 2017 - 01:00 PM.

#30 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:58 PM

For large projects in Oak Bay you never want to start with proposing what you actually intend to build. Start big then whittle it down.
Need to give the council an opportunity to look tough.
Plan B brings a bright future: https://issuu.com/bl...928190744267/22

Developers 1st Commandment:
Ask for the stars when you want the moon.
  • Nparker and todd like this

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

Burst balloons for Bowker

Oak Bay won’t pursue balloon study for proposed development

http://www.oakbaynew...ons-for-bowker/

#32 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

Oak Bay won’t pursue balloon study for proposed development

Sounds like a lot of hot air to me. Just build the damn thing. It's 4 floors not 40. 

• grantpalin likes this

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

I'm hearing that this project is also dealing with the sorts of issues Urban Core dealt with when they were in the run-up to the Cook Street Village public hearing. Some folks have taken it upon themselves to deliver pamphlets with info meant to scare individuals into speaking out against the project at Wednesday's public hearing (which is scheduled for Oak Bay High due to an expectation for a large turnout).

I don't necessarily think you have to be a resident of Oak Bay to write mayor and council in regards to this proposal.

All housing is good housing in this market and objecting to this project while tugging on the housing crisis ropes is a little counter productive, but that's what we're seeing with officialdom in Oak Bay.

Btw, did we know that Oak Bay's population grew by a whopping 90-some individuals over the last five-years?

Mayor and council can be reached at: https://www.oakbay.c...l/mayor-council

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:37 PM

Abstract seems to have some confidence this project will get the green light. The following is an excerpt from an email I received from them today

Abstract - Bowker collection.JPG

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

Was the Clive considered "a large project" in Oak Bay?

...“Any large project garners interest in Oak Bay,” said Mayor Nils Jensen. Other than the Clive, a 17-unit, three-storey rental building at the corner of Oak Bay Avenue and Clive Drive, approved by council in 2014, there hasn’t been any significant multi-residential development in Oak Bay in the past five years... 

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.xXiWKk1F.dpuf

#36 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:14 AM

Abstract seems to have some confidence this project will get the green light. The following is an excerpt from an email I received from them today

Looks fabulous! Exactly the build form, scale and design quality we should be encouraging.

#37 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

...Exactly the build form, scale and design quality we should be encouraging.

It does seem a good fit for the location, hence the NIMBY reaction.

#38 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

I wish councils would put their money where their mouths are on housing and affordability issues and start mandating every new condo development include a percentage of 3 bedroom units.

Obviously there's a market for it, but how do $650k+ 2 bedroom condos address these issues. But I digress, it's not like Abstract is going to construct affordable 3 bed units.

#39 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

After seven-hour hearing, Bowker decision put off till Monday

Excerpt:

Seventy speakers from a capacity crowd at Oak Bay High’s Dave Dunnet Community Theatre passionately aired concerns and support in almost equal measure for the four-storey project Wednesday night.

Seven hours after a lively public hearing on Abstract Developments’ residential-above-commercial project began, council announced it would have to postpone its decision to Monday at 6 p.m.

“The majority felt we needed at least an hour to have a more fulsome discussion,” said Mayor Nils Jensen, recalling council’s decision at about 1 a.m. Thursday to table their vote.

“We decided to do it on a day when we’d have more energy and focus. After seven hours all of us were very tired and bleary-eyed, and it takes a while to reflect on all of this.”

Multiple comments in the article about size, density, and cost.

Seven hours and seventy people though. Sheesh.

Edited by grantpalin, 06 May 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

...Seven hours and seventy people though...

Democracy in inaction.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users