Photo

Anyone recommend .........for household repairs/renos

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 LJ

LJ
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

I looked through past threads and found lots of individual threads for plumbers etc. but not one where we could combine trades expertise in one thread.

Anyway, I am looking to install a skylight in a roof over a covered patio. Anyone have any recommendations? Roofing company or glass company?

Also having my house painted soon, anyone have any experience with local companies?

I got an estimate from Student Works only because they were doing a job down the road and it looked pretty decent from the sidewalk, anyone use them before?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2 Wayne

Wayne
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:16 PM

My neighbours recently used Pnr Screens Ltd to replace the windows in their home. They are very happy and I plan to get an estimate in a few years when its time to replace mine.

http://www.pnrscreens.ca/en/

Edited by Wayne, 06 June 2016 - 12:16 PM.

#3 todd

todd
  • 4,780 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

Parker Johnston -Roof

Van Isle  -Windows

White Knight -Painting  (never had good luck with people advertising as "student painters")

#4 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:50 PM

I second White Knight!

• todd likes this

#5 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:27 AM

looking for someone, independent or not, to service my gas fireplace. used to have a great guy who tested components as well as cleaned it.  when he moved I brought in a local company who only cleaned the glass and vacuumed the logs...for the same price.  suggestions for someone who does actual servicing rather than just cleaning so I can get full value for the visit?

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,918 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:12 PM

looking for someone, independent or not, to service my gas fireplace. used to have a great guy who tested components as well as cleaned it.  when he moved I brought in a local company who only cleaned the glass and vacuumed the logs...for the same price.  suggestions for someone who does actual servicing rather than just cleaning so I can get full value for the visit?

West Bay Mechanical

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

Someone posted a link to a recommended local company specializing in ceiling/roofing moisture remediation but I can't find it. I think it might have been Pro Pacific.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,704 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:55 AM

ceiling/roofing moisture remediation

What do you mean?  Repair of a moldy ceiling caused by unchecked roof leaks?

#9 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:12 PM

Possibly a poorly ventilated bathroom fan.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,704 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:17 PM

It's venting into the attic?

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:35 PM

It's venting into the attic?

No attic--very low-pitched roof.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,704 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:03 PM

Yes, that sounds problematic.  The good news is that once you eliminate the problem (the moisture going where it ought not to be) stuff under the roof or in the attic (or small space like you have), the rot or mould clears up pretty quickly.

#13 lanforod

lanforod
  • 5,380 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

Yes, that sounds problematic.  The good news is that once you eliminate the problem (the moisture going where it ought not to be) stuff under the roof or in the attic (or small space like you have), the rot or mould clears up pretty quickly.

Er no... damage is already done, it doesn't disappear. You shouldn't get more, that's all (which may be what you meant).

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,704 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:30 PM

Ya I should have been more clear. There may be damage but rot and mould do not continue to spread once you've cut off the moisture source.

And roofs and attics get hot (at least in summer) which helps dry stuff up.

I've probably sold 100+ new roofs. Replace any deteriorated or mushy wood. The rest is fine and will dry up. The attic is not living space where mould is more an issue.

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,918 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:47 PM

Someone posted a link to a recommended local company specializing in ceiling/roofing moisture remediation but I can't find it. I think it might have been Pro Pacific.

Downs Construction.

• Rob Randall likes this

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,918 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:50 PM

No attic--very low-pitched roof.

Every one needs an attic for their bat collection.

#17 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:39 PM

Downs Construction.

Thanks. Unfortunately they're only doing emergency calls now until Spring.

#18 RFS

RFS
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

is it really worth replacing drafty old windows? i understand there would be some heating costs savings but is it really enough to justify the costs of new windows and installation?

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 16,639 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

is it really worth replacing drafty old windows? i understand there would be some heating costs savings but is it really enough to justify the costs of new windows and installation?

Yes. The comfort level in one's home with proper windows is well worth the price of replacement.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,704 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

On a strictly return-on-your money vs. energy savings, it's usually not worth it, in this climate.

But I agree with NParker, new windows are very nice in other ways.  Sound-proofing, for one.

What do you have now RFS, single-pane?  Or single-pane with storms, or older double-pane (1/4" air space, often brown aluminum frames)?

Also, consider that when you change windows, you can also change the style, how they open or do not open.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users