RFS
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

currently have old aluminium double pane from the 80s

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 47,531 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

OK, so unless they are from before 1982 or 1983, they likely have a 1/2" air space in them now. 

In any event, if they are 1/4" airspace, they are R-value 1.4

1/2" and you have R-2.0

Today's best double-pane is only R-4.0

Hey, that might sound like, hey, new windows are twice as efficient, and that's true, but your wall is R-20 and your ceiling maybe even R-40.  And you have more ceiling and wall than windows.

Figures above is across the glass area.  New vinyl frames are better in the frame area.  But it's not much different overall.

When you say the windows are "drafty", you mean actual airflow coming in?  That does not sound very good.

#23 RFS

RFS
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

sorry, not actual airflow, just cold and condensation.

#24 LJ

LJ
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:19 PM

^I know exactly what you mean. You sit beside a window and it feels like a cold draft on your neck. Been there done that.

New windows will make a tremendous difference in how you feel. They won't lower your bills much but the comfort level is huge.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,545 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

Yeah, the condensation is the worst thing. Plus they look unsightly. I have no idea how old they are--at least 30 years old. I'm going to have Rocky Garandza have a look at it.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#26 RFS

RFS
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:59 PM

the thing is even for just my 3 windows and sliding patio door my quotes were all 4500-5000. so yeah its unsightly and cold but is it worth that bill?

#27 LJ

LJ
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:01 PM

You would have to be the judge of that. It obviously bothered you enough to mention it so I would think it would be worthwhile, it will increase the value of your property.

#28 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,545 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

Oh wow. How much of that was just the patio door?

#29 RFS

RFS
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

its hard to say with the way the quotes are put together but probably around 2500

#30 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

Planning to have vinyl flooring put down in my condo kitchen, laid overtop the existing.  Not a huge job but looking for experiences from others, such as which flooring companies do their own installs versus contracting out, and which is better value. Thinking of places like Camino, End of the Roll, that range.  Not after anything luxury, just quality enough to stand up to a kidless, pet free home. Not even sure what a reasonable square footage price is, so all advice appreciated before I walk into a showroom.

#31 RFS

RFS
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:37 PM

I got a great deal from Lowes and the install was OK.

#32 LJ

LJ
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:50 PM

^Did you have the installer provided by Lowes?

We got quotes on a project and their price was double what we eventually paid.

#33 manuel

manuel
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

A couple of questions will guide your cost factors:

what will you be putting the vinyl on top of?
Do you want a softer feel or a harder one?
Is there a condo rule around sound transmission below?
Are your kitchen cabinets standard height or lower height? If lower, how much space idle available for your dishwasher?

When our dishwasher went, we had to redo the floor nearby and went through a whole bunch of options, and due to a lower than normal height of counters and my wife's dislike of vinyl, picked up thin engineered wood floors at the Restore for $50 and a really high quality thin underlay at Edgar and Milne. Had our carpenter do most of the install.

For a condo, noise transmission could be a big issue with vinyl.

You'll get a decent idea of prices for the vinyl options at lowes and end of the roll. Would go elsewhere than a big box store for install
"I know nothing"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users