• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 2,854 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

Since we all post on every topic under the sun folks I thought it might be interesting in the spirit of recognizing Father's Day to get a bit more personal for a change.

We lost our dad in 2012 at age 78. As a young man in his early 20's he spent three years on the old BC Steamship Company as a purser first on the Princess Elizabeth then later the Princess Joan. He attended UBC thereafter getting his BFA in dramatic arts. Beyond that he had two primary careers, first in local media from 1957-77 (CJVI, CHEK, Victoria Cablevision), then spent the last 20+ years of his work career in the travel business, continuing to work even on a p/t basis into his early 70's simply out of his love of all things travel-related, including his clients above all. He is as missed today by the immediate and extended family as he was at his passing four years ago...your turn.

Attached Images

• Dad.jpg
  • Parents.jpg

• Nparker, sebberry and Jill like this

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 46,123 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

Although an electrician by trade, when my dad first arrived here from England in 1965 his first job was driving truck for CP Transport.

e9b64ce778aae384c276af9509fd23de.jpg

Several years later, the job of diesel maintainer came up next door at the Roundhouse.

Victoria Roundhouse.jpg

Again, not quite his formal training, but what the hey, how different can a diesel engine be from an electric one, right?  Lol.  He would work on the Dayliner Budd Cars, as well as the yard and freight engines (the latter two having more electric parts than diesel bits).

He did that until he retired in the 90's.  In the late 80's I worked a few short summers with him at CP (CP was contracted to do VIA's maintenance work).  This is why I know something about trains, and have driven a  few in the yard.  I found steering to really be the easiest part of train driving.  Starting, stopping, and going were all harder.

He was also a general handyman on the side, I do not think there is a house in the old neighbourhood where he did not do some carpentry work here and there for neighbours.  Very few things around our house were store-bought, if they could be manufactured in the basement workshop.  Except furniture I guess, he was never that sharp a finishing craftsman.  He did build a system where both a pool table and a ping-pong table retracted on cables into the ceiling of the recreation room, you would never know unless it was shown to you.  Great space-saver.

He, and the Haynes/Chilton manuals taught me basic and even slightly advanced car repair, anything short of taking the engine apart, we did in the driveway or street in front of our house.  Oil and fluid changes, brakes, clutch, tire plugs (back when that was an acceptable way to fix a flat tire), stereo installs and upgrades etc. 

He died a few years ago.

• Nparker, AllseeingEye, sebberry and 2 others like this

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:31 AM

My dad was a former naval reserve pilot, ,amateur musician, air traffic controller and NavCanada safety manager and accident investigator. He still lives in Richmond.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• Nparker likes this

#4 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:39 AM

Mine was born and raised in Vancouver. He's one of those brilliant, talented, competent, good-at-everything guys. I can't count how many times I've met someone who worked for him and, on learning of the connection, was quick to tell me he was the greatest boss they ever had. He is alive and well, I'm happy to say. My condolences to anyone mourning their father today.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, AllseeingEye and 1 other like this

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 15,295 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

My dad was a former naval reserve pilot, ,amateur musician, air traffic controller and NavCanada safety manager and accident investigator. He still lives in Richmond.

And you look just like him Rob...except perhaps for the nose.  :P

Happy Dad's Day everyone. I miss my dad as much today as when he passed in 2003. He wasn't a superhero, or accomplished anything to be remembered by the history books, but he was ALWAYS there for his family, almost never lost his temper and could spin a tale like no one's business.

Love you Dad.  :thumbsup:

• Rob Randall, AllseeingEye, sebberry and 1 other like this

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:56 PM

Went for coffee this morning with an old friend who never had kids.

I wished him happy father's day and he said he wished he could of had some kids to help around the property, cleaning out the gutters and cutting the grass.

I told him it's never too late to adopt some 40 somethings who need a roof over their heads, and would help eat the groceries. 

Later on my own 40+ year olds took me out for lunch, and I ended up paying.

Happy Fathers' Day to all of you who are still waiting to become a dad.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Nparker and 1 other like this

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:00 PM

We had dinner at Shannon's folks' place--her grandfather turns 95 next month. We got to talking about the B-17 that flew overhead today and he told us stories of manning anti-aircraft guns back in England, scrambling to load ammunition and set timers for optimal detonation. Priceless memories, especially as my own granddads died relatively young.
  • Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#8 stormy

stormy
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:10 AM

Late entry but....... I never knew my father. I had minimal information about him and really no one that could give me any information about him.
On Father's Day this year I received a photo of a man that quite possibly could be my father, from a person that could be my brother.
if this is the case, there will never be a day that can top this one for me.
  • Mike K., VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#9 Sparky

Sparky

Super Duper Moderator...one spark at a time

• 9,125 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:50 AM

Wow! Keep us posted Stormy.

#10 stormy

stormy
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:34 AM

I will. It might come down to a DNA test.

#11 stormy

stormy
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

I have a brother. Didn't find out until last week. I am 54, he is 52. The best 'better late than never,' that I have ever had. I also found out that I am half Irish.
This all began with a message on messenger asking me if I knew a certain person. The person they were looking for was my mother,. They were looking for her because they knew that she would lead to me. They had been looking for me for years. I didn't know they existed.
Incredible!

Edited by stormy, 30 June 2016 - 10:54 AM.

• Nparker, AllseeingEye and stormy like this

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 36,839 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

Wow! What an amazing story, Stormy :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,125 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

Great news Stormy. (sorry about the Irish part)   :)

If you care to share any more info as time progresses, I for one would enjoy reading about it.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 46,123 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:14 PM

I have a brother. Didn't find out until last week. I am 54, he is 52. The best 'better late than never,' that I have ever had. I also found out that I am half Irish.
This all began with a message on messenger asking me if I knew a certain person. The person they were looking for was my mother,. They were looking for her because they knew that she would lead to me. They had been looking for me for years. I didn't know they existed.
Incredible!

Holy crazy.  A girl I used to work with met her sister for the first time when they were both in their 20's.  It was real crazy.

#15 stormy

stormy
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

Great news Stormy. (sorry about the Irish part)    :)

If you care to share any more info as time progresses, I for one would enjoy reading about it.

Sparky I have an update, but also a question.....

Can anyone recommend a company for sibling to sibling DNA testing?  I have seen a few sites and read reviews.  Not so promising.

I had mentioned earlier on this thread that I had a message sent to me asking if I knew of a person and that person was my mother. They had her name as a link to me.  I was the person they were looking for.

Turns out there is a very good chance that I have a brother.  We connected, talked on the phone and a few months later he invited me to his wedding in Ireland.

My best friend and myself came back home from Ireland last night.  It was a great wedding. I met some wonderful people who I really hope are my family.

For those interested here is the crazy story that ends with me going to a wedding in Ireland.

I was born in the UK 1961. My mother told me that she married a man called Bob.  She divorced him and years later lived with a man called Roy.

She got pregnant with me, told him and he then kicked her out telling her to 'get his half adopted.'  Mum had me and gave me her ex-husband Bob's surname.  The reason she gave was that as my real father (Roy) wanted nothing to do with me she was not going to give me his name.

Years later I told her that I wanted to find my dad and she told me that he quite possibly could have a family and may never have mentioned me to them and that I could destroy a marriage.

She knew that would stop me. 

One time my stepfather told me that my mum had not been completely honest about my past, but would not tell me what he was referring to.

My mother passes away and a few years later so does my step dad.  I then put a post up on a search site in the UK giving my birth info looking for Bob or Roy.

Many years later someone reads my post and responds to it, but I had stopped checking it.

The man who could be my brother, Robert, was born in 1963.

When his father (my mother's ex-husband Bob) died, Robert's mother told him that he had two siblings by two different women.

She told him that Bob had married my mother, then left her.

He was then with another woman, they had daughter named Sandra.  He left her.

My mum took him back, had me.  He left her.

Met Robert's mum, had Robert and stayed.

After the information was given to Robert at his father's funeral the search for me began.  My post that I had written so many years ago was found, and they responded. I never got to see that, but eventually they found me and after a while a wedding invitation was sent.

At the wedding many people told me me that I had some features of both Bob and Robert. They saw it right away.

I also found out there are possibly two more half siblings. A sister in Ghana called Mary and a brother in England called Micheal.  In total five of us.

My mother lied to one of us. She either lied to me about who my father was, or she lied to Bob telling him that I was his daughter when I wasn't.

In my heart I believe that I am part of this family and that I am the person who she lied to.  A DNA test will put the questions to rest.

• Mike K., Bingo and jonny like this

#16 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:23 AM

No personal experience with this, Stormy, but perhaps this woman, Janet Keall, can help you. She's found some of her siblings and confirmed the connection with DNA testing. Here are links to a CBC story about her case and her website:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...lings-1.4017277

https://www.withgreatabandon.com/

Fingers crossed for you!

#17 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,125 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:25 AM

^^ Holy Christ Stormy !! ....that was amazing!

• sebberry likes this

#18 stormy

stormy
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:36 AM

No personal experience with this, Stormy, but perhaps this woman, Janet Keall, can help you. She's found some of her siblings and confirmed the connection with DNA testing. Here are links to a CBC story about her case and her website:

Fingers crossed for you!

Thank you. I will check this out.

#19 stormy

stormy
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

Fingers crossed for you!

I am now in contact with Janet Keall. Thank you for this information.
  • Jill likes this

#20 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:12 AM

Happy Father's Day to all VV dads.

https://www.thestar....shing-back.html

[We have two Father's Day threads. This, being correctly punctuated, is the superior one.]

• Mike K., AllseeingEye and Kungsberg like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users