Photo

Milos Raonic in Wimbledon final

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

I understand all of that, but at the time we was competing internationally for GB, not for Canada. That's the difference. He didn't have the same "Canadian" cache as Milos, who does compete internationally for Canada.

After 1995, he was no longer Canada's top tennis player, he was one of Britain's.

#22 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

My mum grew up in Wimbledon. Her dad was a fireman during WWII...they raised pigs at Centre Court. I attended Wimbledon in 1975 :) Stood for hours in the standing section, which I don't think they have any longer.

#23 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,301 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 07:28 PM

Denis Shapovalov has become the first Canadian to ever reach the quarterfinals in men's singles at the U.S. Open following a four-set victory over No. 7 seed David Goffin of Belgium on Sunday.

The 12th-seeded Shapovalov toppled Goffin: 6-7 (7), 6-3, 6-4, 6-3 in the fourth round of the Grand Slam tournament to advance.

He will face Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta in the quarters. The Spaniard got into the final eight when his opponent and top seed Novak Djokovic was defaulted from their fourth-round match after he accidentally hit a line judge with a tennis ball.

Shapovalov was broken only once and it came in the fourth set, while converting five break points against his opponent. He fired 13 aces and 52 winners.

https://www.cbc.ca/s...nd-16-1.5714602

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users