Photo

Pokémon Go

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:34 AM

This has to be the best blackberry crop in years, and they are prime right now.

Eight pounds picked in two hours today.

I will release the Pokemon picking co-ordinates at the end of the picking season.

blackberries%202016.jpg

• nagel likes this

#22 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

Yup this, kinda. I certainly don't understand the attraction of this at all, although admittedly I am no kind of "gamer" in any shape or form; I'm sure being on the other side of 50 I'm exactly the wrong demographic, lol.

OTOH I have to think any regular person especially one with a mortgage, career, kid(s), never ending 'weekend projects' - as assigned by the Mrs.....naturally! -, etc etc ad infinitum, has a 1001 other far more pressing priorities than to engage in some on-line activity devoted as far as I can tell to 'capturing' some oddball cyberspace character that doesn't actually exist. Especially if, as I am, that person is already on a computer 40-50 hours a week in the office. The_last thing I personally want is more *&@^@%%@-ing face time on a 'device' of any kind. Hell in whatever spare time I do have give me a back woods fishing trip any day, with the boys, some damn good cigars and great booze for around-the-campfire drinks. Above all MINUS the technology thank you very much.

People today IMO, and especially the millennials one of which co-habits in our house, desperately need to figure out a way to unplug from the machine not to mention the Great All Seeing Cloud. Get off your fat bum and go for a walk, or interact with the other humans using face to face voice communication - at least do something that doesn't involve getting fatter and even more out of shape. I am now stepping off my soapbox....

The height of irony has to be complaining about other people wasting time online while wasting time online yourself..

• weirdie, Mr Cook Street and Jables like this

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

Victoria police spokesman Const. Matt Rutherford said he sees pedestrians walking in front of his cruiser without looking up on a regular basis.

“People are so enthralled in their cellphones and various devices, especially with this Pokémon Go craze.

So I encourage people to get their heads up,” Rutherford said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.mZVmjtZY.dpuf

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:50 AM

I'm concerned about Bingo's cottage cheese consumption level.

• Bingo and thundergun like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

This has to be the best blackberry crop in years, and they are prime right now.

Eight pounds picked in two hours today.

I will release the Pokemon picking co-ordinates at the end of the picking season.

I pick at about the same rate but unfortunately my children can eat about 60% of what I pick the same day.  The years of a freezer full of blackberries are long gone.

#26 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:12 AM

Great summary except for the tiny error at the beginning. It is not an RPG  (like Dungeons & Dragons) but is a trading card game (like Magic: the gathering).

I think Jables was referencing the video game, which was Computer RPG-like (which differs from Pencil & Paper RPGs), and came before the trading card game.

#27 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

Is there any game similar to this Pokémon game minus the Pokémon released yet?

#28 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:03 AM

I think Jables was referencing the video game, which was Computer RPG-like (which differs from Pencil & Paper RPGs), and came before the trading card game.

I was - thank you!

#29 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

I'm concerned about Bingo's cottage cheese consumption level.

Cottage cheese actually goes well with fruit and is healthy for you.

We recycle the containers and have a good supply of them for freezing things like soup and chili.

Those containers in the photo took us over a week to collect.  :farmer:

#30 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

Is there any game similar to this Pokémon game minus the Pokémon released yet?

Ingress, also by Niantic, is pretty much a proto-Pokemon GO game.  No Pokemon, but the basic mechanics of gathering resources by walking about, then using those to battle for control of markers is there.

#31 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:16 PM

So I understand the locations are imported from the older game but how were those locations chosen? The players themselves input them? I'm reading about the controversy of inappropriate locations like the Holocaust museum and private backyards.

#32 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

So I understand the locations are imported from the older game but how were those locations chosen? The players themselves input them? I'm reading about the controversy of inappropriate locations like the Holocaust museum and private backyards.

Mostly by user submission (https://support.ingr...Portal-criteria)

#33 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:29 PM

And was not an RPG either. There seems to be some confusion on what an RPG is and is not. "Role playing" requires interaction and character development beyond simply assigning physical characteristics and progressing in levels/rewards by completing tasks.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#34 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:28 AM

And was not an RPG either. There seems to be some confusion on what an RPG is and is not. "Role playing" requires interaction and character development beyond simply assigning physical characteristics and progressing in levels/rewards by completing tasks.

It is an RPG by definition.  You build and train your party, the combat is tactical and turn-based, there are simple puzzles, and there is a central storyline in which you embark on other quests along the way.  It is much more simplistic than your typical D&D or Final Fantasy, but it's still an RPG.  

Here's the definition from wikipedia:

A role-playing video game (commonly referred to as role-playing game or RPG, and in the past was also known as computer role-playing game or CRPG) is a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a character (and/or several party members) immersed in some well-defined world.

[…]

Players control a central game character, or multiple game characters, usually called a party. and attain victory by completing a series of quests or reaching the conclusion of a central storyline. Players explore a game world, while solving puzzles and engaging in tactical combat. A key feature of the genre is that characters grow in power and abilities, and characters are typically designed by the player.

Role-playing video games typically rely on a highly developed story and setting, which is divided into a number of quests. Players control one or several characters by issuing commands, which are performed by the character at an effectiveness determined by that character's numeric attributes. Often these attributes increase each time a character gains a level, and a character's level goes up each time the player accumulates a certain amount of experience.

Role-playing video games also typically attempt to offer more complex and dynamic character interaction than what is found in other video game genres. This usually involves additional focus on the artificial intelligence and scripted behavior of computer-controlled non-player characters.

Edited by Jables, 20 July 2016 - 06:35 AM.

#35 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:49 AM

There's no role playing though.  You just collect stuff.  I'm finding the app a little boring right now, to be honest.

#36 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

There's no role playing though.  You just collect stuff.  I'm finding the app a little boring right now, to be honest.

The App itself is not an RPG, but the original game was.

#37 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:02 AM

The App itself is not an RPG, but the original game was.

Oh sorry, I didn't fully read the posts!

#38 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:10 AM

Oh sorry, I didn't fully read the posts!

No need to apologize! It is all good  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users