Modern row housing

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:40 AM

I wonder if we can try something like this somewhere...

modern-row-house-design-ideas-town-homes

90 Dallas kind of had the right idea, but not sure if it was quite right.

I think I'd like to see up-down, smaller rental units, and maybe anchored at one end with one small retail space.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:12 AM

Good luck with this in NIMBYville.

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

^ the interiors of that one are pretty cool
http://www.archdaily...lido-architects

there's a similar project between happy valley & the galloping goose but the houses are detached. so maybe it's not so similar then, just similar-looking.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

Good luck with this in NIMBYville.

Well, finding the right place is key.  Would anyone mind if it went up on the parking lot at the bottom of Herald, at Store?  On the west side of Cook, where the low-rise storefronts are now just south of Meares?  Or at the NW corner of Broughton and Quadra?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

there's a similar project between happy valley & the galloping goose but the houses are detached. so maybe it's not so similar then, just similar-looking.

Interesting, smallest unit:

Flamenco floor plan represents; 1400 sq.ft., open “great room” concept, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms plus an office / computer room on the main floor. Bonus is a huge storage area in a 600 sq.ft, almost 4 feet high, heated, insulated concrete form (ICF) crawl space. Plus a large 285 sq.ft. rooftop patio. Oversized garage with lots of shelving options offers parking for 1 car inside and 2 outside.

This floor plan can be built; either backing onto Galloping Goose or Happy Valley Road. The ones on Happy Valley Rd offer double entry

screenshot-www.thepianoproject.ca 2016-07-31 10-25-02.jpg

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

Well, finding the right place is key....

I'd be happy to see this sort of project on the 900 block of North Park where Canadian Linen is currently situated. That property is a major eyesore.

• AllseeingEye and dasmo like this

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

I'd be happy to see this sort of project on the 900 block of North Park where Canadian Linen is currently situated. That property is a major eyesore.

Right!  And I've mentioned before that the north side of Mason could use this.

Ya, that's some valuable property there on North Park to have a low-value industrial plant.

• Nparker likes this

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:34 AM

...And I've mentioned before that the north side of Mason could use this...

This of course is the most logical place for row housing. Therefore in true Victoria fashion it will never happen.

• dasmo likes this

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:31 PM

Interesting, smallest unit:

Flamenco floor plan represents; 1400 sq.ft., open “great room” concept, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms plus an office / computer room on the main floor. Bonus is a huge storage area in a 600 sq.ft, almost 4 feet high, heated, insulated concrete form (ICF) crawl space. Plus a large 285 sq.ft. rooftop patio. Oversized garage with lots of shelving options offers parking for 1 car inside and 2 outside.

This floor plan can be built; either backing onto Galloping Goose or Happy Valley Road. The ones on Happy Valley Rd offer double entry

screenshot-www.thepianoproject.ca 2016-07-31 10-25-02.jpg

Those are really well built units, they didn't scrimp anywhere. We got a tour from the owner/developer and he was very meticulous about the building and design. The rooftop patio's were terrific and privacy screened from the adjoining unit. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:10 PM

I wonder if we can try something like this somewhere...

modern-row-house-design-ideas-town-homes

Rendering looks OK, but then you see it from this angle...

stringio.jpg
  • Jill likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:26 AM

Those are really well built units, they didn't scrimp anywhere. We got a tour from the owner/developer and he was very meticulous about the building and design. The rooftop patio's were terrific and privacy screened from the adjoining unit.

Only the first of five phases were ever built, for some reason.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

Rendering looks OK, but then you see it from this angle...stringio.jpg

Those buttresses(?) are going to shut out a lot of light. Living there might be like looking out from inside an ice-cube tray.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:04 AM

With the efficiency of LEDs and huge TV "windows" on every wall, who needs light (or windows at all) anymore?

#14 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

Those buttresses(?) are going to shut out a lot of light. Living there might be like looking out from inside an ice-cube tray.

Depends on orientation. Perhaps they are meant to shade the sun and provide privacy?
  • Nparker likes this

#15 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

I agree. We need more of this. The Netherlands is one of the most densly populated countries and it's mostly this. Much more family friendly than luxury condos....

#16 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

Depends on orientation. Perhaps they are meant to shade the sun and provide privacy?

that's what I thought. that project is in manila, which of course has a different climate to ours.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

that's what I thought. that project is in manila, which of course has a different climate to ours.

I think almost all of Manilla faces south too.    :banana:

• Nparker likes this

#18 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

Interesting considering todays sales pace.... These look cute and well situated with the goos right there. What was the pricing?  

#19 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

Really? I haven't been back to the area since we had our tour. Maybe they were built a little too well for the area they were located.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:50 PM

There are issues with the adjacent lots. I don't want to mislead anyone so I won't forward any info (as I only heard it second hand), but they've been delayed in getting phases 2-5 going. It's a shame since they built some great homes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users