VANCOUVER: Urban surf park proposed for downtown

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:35 PM

Forget going to Tofino as Vancouver could soon become a surf town in its own special way if a proposal to turn the very eastern end of False Creek into an urban surf park is fully realized.

http://dailyhive.com...ver-false-creek

vancouver-false-creek-surf-park-1.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:49 PM

"One of the most significant hurdles facing this project deals with East False Creek’s poor water quality, largely due to a storm sewer outfall that releases raw sewage every time there is heavy rainfall in the city. Pollution from the waterway’s marinas and recreational boaters are also another major factor."

Hmm. You don't say? Heavy rainfall + Vancouver = normal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

Forget going to Tofino as Vancouver could soon become a surf town in its own special way if a proposal to turn the very eastern end of False Creek into an urban surf park is fully realized.

Forget commas in this text, too.

I'll admit I often over-comma, but this is real under-comma'd.

• Jill and Bingo like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:15 PM

Are the people who write for that website newcomers to the country?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

Are the people who write for that website newcomers to the country?

If they are, let's hit them with a 15% tax, right off the bat.

#6 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

Where is a comma missing? It reads fine to me.

Commas are needed for lists and coordinating conjunctions. "And or for nor so yet but". I think it's ok as is! Glad to be corrected if I'm wrong.

#7 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:18 PM

I do agree the first "as" should be a "because."

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:18 PM

"...special way, if..."

Is how I'd have written it. Without the comma it's a bit of a run-on. And using the word "very" is a big no-no.

• Bingo likes this

Know it all.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:22 PM

I mean, it's an oddly put together sentence. Vancouver will soon become a surf town in its own special way? We can cut the word special out, for sure. And very eastern end isn't necessary, drop the very and you're good. Ditto for fully. We assume whether or not it's fully realized, it will still be a surf thingy and still make Vancouver a surf town in its own special way, and at the very eastern end of False Creek.

• VicHockeyFan and Bingo like this

Know it all.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:27 PM

Where is a comma missing? It reads fine to me.

If I have to keep all the words in the same order, I'd write it like this (two added commas):

Forget going to Tofino, as Vancouver could soon become a surf town in its own special way, if a proposal to turn the very eastern end of False Creek into an urban surf park is fully realized.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:38 PM

Hmmm, you know, with the comma after Tofino I think it can actually flow into "...if" without a second comma. But if we skip the comma after Tofino we definitively need to break things up.

Know it all.

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:51 AM

If I have to keep all the words in the same order, I'd write it like this (two added commas):

Forget going to Tofino, as Vancouver could soon become a surf town in its own special way, if a proposal to turn the very eastern end of False Creek into an urban surf park is fully realized.

Vancouver, as about as much chance becoming a surftown, as Victoria has, building a tramway, from Odgen Point into downtown.

People who are short of breath need commas if they are reading this aloud but if they are just thinking it they can skip right by the commas or omit them completely but if you need to pause you can do so whenever you think it's necessary and no one else will know if your grammar is still alive or not.

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

Does anybody else ever muse about artificial lagoons in northern climes? I'm talking a semi-isolated shallow flat of screened but otherwise untreated seawater. Naturally circulating. Sandy bottom.

3751122e963d5db9ad9b5df914c83f22.jpg

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:06 AM

I'm not sure that generally you can build stuff to the water-line like that.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

You know, I suppose any temporarily screened-off area would do the job just as well. It could be floating or not.

http://www.superyach...s-midst-214.htm

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

I'm not sure that generally you can build stuff to the water-line like that.

In my proposed Special Economic Zone (SEZ) you will be able to though.

#17 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

I'd argue for a comma after "Tofino."

Forget going to Tofino, as Vancouver could soon become a surf town in its own special way if a proposal to turn the very eastern end of False Creek into an urban surf park is fully realized.

I would have done it this way, however:

Forget going to Tofino. Vancouver could soon become a surf town of sorts if a proposal to turn the eastern end of False Creek into an urban surf park is fully realized.

#18 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

"Tofino? Forget it! Sad! Vancouver will be a surf town that will be trememdous, I gotta tell you. My proposal to turn the eastern end of False Creek into a spectacular urban surf park will be first class!"

• North Shore and Jill like this

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:21 AM

Forget going to Tofino

Forget going to Tofino

Forget going to Tofino,

Forget going to Tofino,

Forget going to Tofino,

Forget going to Tofino.

Tofino? Forget it!

It's weird, I honestly can't say for sure if I've ever been to Tofino before. And for some reason I don't really have any inclination to check it out.

• VicHockeyFan and Bingo like this

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:21 AM

"Tofino? Forget it! Sad! Vancouver will be a surf town that will be trememdous, I gotta tell you. My proposal to turn the eastern end of False Creek into a spectacular urban surf park will be first class!"

Are sharks included?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users