Photo

Courthouse Lands Reconstruction

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#41 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

I am just shy of 10,000 posts. Does that mean my gold watch will be coming soon?  :confused:

Sure. If it wasn't for mine being lost at the post office I would have it by now, or were those my traffic tickets.

• Nparker likes this

#42 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

I am just shy of 10,000 posts. Does that mean my gold watch will be coming soon?  :confused:

VHF will pick it up for you on his next run for Time laundry detergent. It may or may not be real gold. But it will be Turkish.
  • zoomer, Nparker and Bingo like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#43 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

So I heard that the conditions are much more contaminated than initially thought. Apparently the contractor will be digging down three feet because this is now considered a hazardous site. Lots of feces and needles, in addition to the rats. 

I also heard that apparently the port-o-potty vendor refused to take back the potties. They felt they were a biohazard and wanted nothing to do with them. 

#44 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

So I heard that the conditions are much more contaminated than initially thought. Apparently the contractor will be digging down three feet because this is now considered a hazardous site. Lots of feces and needles, in addition to the rats. 

I also heard that apparently the port-o-potty vendor refused to take back the potties. They felt they were a biohazard and wanted nothing to do with them. 

Hazmat was there a few days ago.

IMG_4316.jpg

#45 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

The trees that are still standing have sucked up a lot of the contaminants, and if they survive will be oozing the sap out through their leaves next spring.   :mad:  

#46 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

That's disgusting. I wouldn't let any child of mine play there for a couple of years at least.

#47 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:53 PM

Yeah to be honest I'm never stepping foot on that parcel.

#48 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:09 PM

Really, never?  After 30 years even Chernobyl recovered, well, sort of...

Chernobyl_002-1024x683.jpg

• todd and Dr. Barillas like this

#49 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:42 AM

Don't eat the flowers.

#50 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:52 AM

i'm one of those who think a playground would be a good idea.. of course there is the obvious, it will prevent future campers..but alongside that, there are many families in the surrounding areas (harris green, north park, fernwood..) that walk into the downtown often.. with the library being just a few blocks away i could see many parents stopping by a playground to let kids play, you also have tourists walking the town with a large tourist attraction right across the street from the park.. i've also found with new playgrounds in general..it's a case of if you build it they will come, playgrounds which were once almost never used replaced with new equipment and the kids/families flock to them

• Nparker, tedward and pennymurphy2000 like this

#51 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:29 PM

I read a good comment on Facebook. Someone pointed out that while the City bylaw prevents camping in a playground area, the courthouse area would still not be City property. Is that going to be a problem?

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:38 PM

I read a good comment on Facebook. Someone pointed out that while the City bylaw prevents camping in a playground area, the courthouse area would still not be City property. Is that going to be a problem?

The province told the judge they would allow overnighting, I can't see how they can back off that now.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#53 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

I think that was Lisa Helps herself that pointed out that one about the no camping near playgrounds bylaw - go figure. That broad seems to have a case selective dementia when it suits; all of a sudden she is talking about applying bylaws to the homeless.

Edited by Dietrich, 22 August 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#54 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:50 AM

Has it not occured to the Ministry that the City of Victoria is in possesion of a corn snake that could take care of business?

The former tent city site on the Victoria courthouse lawn is more rat-infested than first thought, meaning the pest-control process will continue until eradication is complete.

“The exact number of rodents cannot be confirmed,” said a statement Tuesday from the B.C. Ministry of Technology, Innovation and Citizens’ Services, which is managing the cleanup and restoration of the site.

“Pest-control activities were estimated to take approximately two weeks; however, these efforts will continue until the pests are completely eradicated. Monitoring is occurring on a daily basis.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.bNlQKn8b.dpuf

• VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall and sdwright.vic like this

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

Rats will burrow deep into the soil if they feel threatened. I bet that's what's happening here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:19 AM

I think that was Lisa Helps herself that pointed out that one about the no camping near playgrounds bylaw - go figure. That broad seems to have a case selective dementia when it suits; all of a sudden she is talking about applying bylaws to the homeless.

Yep, and it does not make sense.

First she says that her hands are tied because camping is on Provincial land, and City Bylaws don't apply.

Now she says if its playground, no camping, and City Bylaws now will apply on Provincial land.

So why the change?

The Province and City may be dragging their feet on the remediation of the site because they are waiting to hear the ruling on the Charter Challenge now in the courts on whether homeless people have the right to survive by sleeping in public places.

If Helps gets the ruling she wants, the homeless will be right back at the PCHL. So why bother cleaning it up.

Then both the City and Province will be pointing their fingers at the federal courts for allowing camping.

And Helps will be able to say she had been endorsing a kids park for the site all along. Smoke and mirrors.

Until then enjoy you're free urban rat zoo.

Edited by VicPushedOver, 31 August 2016 - 09:19 AM.

• spanky123 likes this

#57 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:48 AM

Rats will burrow deep into the soil if they feel threatened. I bet that's what's happening here.

What soil. Looks like a gravel lot now with a few trees.

#58 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,675 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:29 AM

Rats will burrow deep into the soil if they feel threatened...

Sounds like the same behaviour exhibited by the previous inhabitants of this site.

• VicHockeyFan, Bingo, RFS and 1 other like this

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

The damn things can chew through concrete if it means survival. I had an animal control officer recently give me a rundown of his rat infestation experiences. Crazy stuff.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:24 PM

The damn things can chew through concrete if it means survival. I had an animal control officer recently give me a rundown of his rat infestation experiences. Crazy stuff.

And they can easily chew through that fence that is designed to keep them in.

Edited by Bingo, 31 August 2016 - 07:22 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users