Photo

Courthouse Lands Reconstruction

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#121 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

Remediation work at the site of the former "tent city" has now cost in the neighbourhood of $350,000.

In an email to C-FAX, the province says the soil remediation on the grounds of the Victoria courthouse is expected to last several more weeks.

Meanwhile, the design plan and overall budget for the playground is being finalized with completion expected in the spring.

http://www.iheartrad...0-000-1.2356043

#122 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

Construction is ongoing at the remediated courthouse site, and today volunteers

from Christ Church Cathedral are helping to assemble the new play ground equipment.

IMG_6139.JPG

IMG_6135.JPG

IMG_6136.JPG

Here is how the finished playground will look

IMG_6137.JPG

• tedward likes this

#123 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

I just got a tour of the project.  Habitat sells excellent playground structures, and their volunteer support system seems top notch.  I was impressed.

• Nparker likes this

#124 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

It appears as though a lot of retaining walls and/or concrete will be a part of the revitalized space. I look forward to seeing the final results. I wonder if this "park" will be given a name? On second thought, Her Worseship probably wants it to be called the "Super-in-Tent-City Memorial Park" and that would simply be unacceptable. Court house lawn it is.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#125 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

It appears as though a lot of retaining walls and/or concrete will be a part of the revitalized space. I look forward to seeing the final results. I wonder if this "park" will be given a name? On second thought, Her Worseship probably wants it to be called the "Super-in-Tent-City Memorial Park" and that would simply be unacceptable. Court house lawn it is.

I doubt the mayor gets to name a provincially owned playground.

They're using a rubberized surface, so it won't be a massive concrete pad.

#126 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

There was over 100 people working  at the site earlier today.

A generous donor, who wishes to remain anonymous, has contributed $150,000 toward the cost of the playground equipment. Tire Stewardship B.C. has donated $80,000 toward the rubberized safety surface. The Ministry of Technology, Innovation and Citizens’ Services has contributed an additional $50,000 toward the playground.

https://news.gov.bc....TICS0015-000650

• Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

I doubt the mayor gets to name a provincially owned playground...

Do you also believe Her Worseship played no part in directing the campers here in the first place? Keep in mind that she presented an award to the "brave souls who made a difference" here. She also directs the Victoria police to disobey federal marijuana legislation. You think sticking her nose into the naming of a Provincial park is where she draws the line?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#128 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Do you also believe Her Worseship played no part in directing the campers here in the first place? Keep in mind that she presented an award to the "brave souls who made a difference" here. She also directs the Victoria police to disobey federal marijuana legislation. You think sticking her nose into the naming of a Provincial park is where she draws the line?

To be honest I don't care if she did or didn't.  The only thing I didn't like "municipally" was the lack of police presence around the site.  Once it was up, it was entirely a provincial matter.

We have one of these in Saanich now, by Tillicum Mall.  Seems we've got the same lack of action from the province on this one as we saw at the courthouse.

#129 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

When I started this thread it was my intention to put what is was a year ago behind us, so if you want to drag out the past or complain about the city council why not do it on the appropriate thread and leave this remediated courthouse site for more positive comments.    :judge:

• nagel likes this

#130 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

That isn't really new, there has been a tent city in Cuthbert Holmes Park for years, we're just seeing it now that the construction has pushed them out into sight.

#131 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

When I started this thread it was my intention to put what is was a year ago behind us, so if you want to drag out the past or complain about the city council why not do it on the appropriate thread and leave this remediated courthouse site for more positive comments.   

Unfortunately, you can't "decree" the site's history be forgotten. Hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars are having to be spent to revitalize a space that should never have been allowed to be desecrated in the first place. I, for one, am not soon going to forget what happened here and the complacency and complicity of the various levels of government that allowed it to happen.

• mbjj, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#132 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

To be honest I don't care if she did or didn't...

And that is how she gets away with her agenda.

#133 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

Unfortunately, you can't "decree" the site's history be forgotten. Hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars are having to be spent to revitalize a space that should never have been allowed to be desecrated in the first place. I, for one, am not soon going to forget what happened here and the complacency and complicity of the various levels of government that allowed it to happen.

No I can't decree just yet, as I am still studying for my moderators ticket. :)

However if people still feel a need to add to the 12,000 posts dealing with the courthouse site's history, why not post them here?

http://vibrantvictor...601#entry372787

or here

http://vibrantvictor...age-59?hl=mayor

#134 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

Would have loved to see a few more swings and maybe one of those big spinning balance wheels like behind Crystal Pool.  Those things are fun for all ages.  Having equipment for all ages (including adults!) can help keep a playground in active use for longer each day.  Once the kids go home for the evening it's nice to hit the swings with your friends.

God knows how much fun I've had at the beacon hill park zip line after dark.  Met other adults there doing the same!

Edited by Baro, 17 March 2017 - 02:37 PM.

• Bingo likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#135 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

Will there be any nice green grass for us non-kids to enjoy? Or just a bunch of rubber?

#136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

April 21st

Victoria-courthouse-playground-April-21-2017a.jpg

Victoria-courthouse-playground-April-21-2017b.jpg

Victoria-courthouse-playground-April-21-2017c.jpg

Victoria-courthouse-playground-April-21-2017d.jpg

Victoria-courthouse-playground-April-21-2017e.jpg

Victoria-courthouse-playground-April-21-2017f.jpg

• Nparker, Jill, todd and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#137 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

I think what will make this a success is the new inviting entrance on Quadra. It'll draw people into the park, unlike the prior version. It is kinda funny, our newest revitalized parks are due to tent city controversies--Courthouse park and Cridge Park. 

• Jill likes this

#138 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

I fully expect Elton John to open this thing, about 3 days before the election.

• Nparker and todd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#139 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

I read that the afghanistan war monument will be placed here which I think is very nice.
  • todd and pennymurphy2000 like this

#140 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

Exasperated Taxpayers Memorial Park.

• todd, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users