Royal visit to Victoria, September 2016

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:08 AM

Saturday 1st October will be a busy final day for the tour. The first engagement will be a visit to the Cridge Centre for the Family – one of Victoria's most well-known charitable institutions. The Centre provides a range of services, including childcare, youth outreach, and support for women who have experienced domestic violence.

The Duke and Duchess will then then visit a local café where they will meet with families that have been supported by the Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre, one of British Columbia's leading mental health charities. Kelty uses digital and community-based tools to take mental health services and information to families throughout the province. This focus on signposting and information provision chimes closely with the work that The Duke and Duchess are focusing on along with Prince Harry through their Heads Together campaign.

Then they will board a tall-ship operated by the Sail and Life Training Society, a charity that uses the power of sailing to give young people skills and direction in their lives. On board will be a group of young people who are part of JACK.org – a national network of youth who are working to end stigma around mental health for their generation. The Duke and Duchess will have a chance to talk to these young people about their work while actively taking part in helping to sail the tall ship before docking in the inner harbour.

Later that afternoon The Duke and Duchess end their tour by taking part in a public official departure ceremony at Victoria Harbour Airport. The Harbour airport is located in the centre of the city and will be a perfect place for Their Royal Highnesses to demonstrate their gratitude for the hospitality that will have been extended to them over the previous week. They will then board a float plane and will have a brief tour of the southern tip of Vancouver Island before departing Canada with the Royal Canadian Air Force.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:09 AM

On Thursday 29th September, The Duke and Duchess will attend a children's party in the beautiful grounds of Government House. A group of military families have been invited to share what should be a really lovely morning with plenty of surprises for the children. The rest of the day will provide The Duke and Duchess some private time with their children.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:10 AM

Their Royal Highnesses will arrive in Victoria, the capital of British Columbia, on the afternoon of Saturday 24th September. I am very pleased to confirm that they will bring their children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte, with them to Canada. They have received so many wonderful messages from Canadians since the birth of their children and look forward to having the chance to introduce their young family to the country. The family will travel to Victoria with the Royal Canadian Air Force and will be greeted at Victoria Airport before moving to Government House - where they will be based throughout the tour – for a very brief stop.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

Does anybody think there will be any protests here, or on other parts of the trip?

#25 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

Someone ought to protest the mayor and Councillors who didn't take the oath if they have anything to do with this visit...

• Nparker and Szeven like this

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

Send your greetings!    Take the opportunity of the 2016 Royal Tour to Canada to send your best wishes to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. 

YOUR greetings will appear HERE:    http://canada.pch.gc...g/1467895061726

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:41 AM

Facebook event arrival ceremony at the Leg.:    https://www.facebook...793549190925781

Facebook event departure ceremony at the Harbour Airport:    https://www.facebook...735719789902712

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

The royal visit to British Columbia and Yukon will include lessons on reconciliation, a Victoria artist hopes.

Kwagiulth artist Carey Newman will show the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge the Witness Blanket he made to tell of the trauma experienced by residential school survivors.

The Witness Blanket has been touring the country since January but will be on display at Government House in Victoria for the visit.

The blanket consists of 887 objects — broken brick, shattered tiles, pieces of wood, and lost shoes — each connected in some way to a residential school.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...toria-1.3766794

#29 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:26 PM

Government House is good to go

They’ll have their own suite at the 57-year-old gated residence and will host a children’s tea party there next week.

Guichon’s grandchildren have visited Government House before, so the house is surprisingly well equipped for young guests, Williams said. “Most of the items were already here, because we try to be prepared for any eventuality. We have a high chair. We have some toys.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.Jr3F4IvQ.dpuf

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:11 PM

Well, this must be a bit embarrassing. The royal visit, which includes a component on social housing in Canada, has forced the postponement of Cool Aid's Homecoming social housing fundraising event.

Royal visit forces postponement of social housing fundraiser in downtown Victoria

http://victoria.citi...ntown-victoria/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

Well, this must be a bit embarrassing. The royal visit, which includes a component on social housing in Canada, has forced the postponement of Cool Aid's Homecoming social housing fundraising event.

Embarrassing for us, but the royals will never know about the cancellation.

• Nparker likes this

#32 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

Perhaps the Royal Family will stop by CCH to relieve the boredom of the folks there.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

Perhaps the Royal Family will stop by CCH to relieve the boredom of the folks there.

Or ToysRuS to relieve the boredom for the kids.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:56 AM

There is a huge stage on the Leg lawn I'm told, for the CBC cameras.

Bingo, HB, where's the photos?

#35 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

I walked by the other day and thought, "oh, they are working on the fountain." It wasn't until this morning I clued in they were building a media platform over the fountain.  Also explained why they were doing the flagpole/plaza work the last month. :redface:

• Mike K. likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:18 PM

There is a huge stage on the Leg lawn I'm told, for the CBC cameras.

Bingo, HB, where's the photos?

Out of town.

#37 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Royal visit forces postponement of social housing fundraiser in downtown Victoria

http://victoria.citi...ntown-victoria/

Still think that the cancellation is related to poor ticket sales rather than the Royals but in any event I notice that Cool Aid has hit the CFAX and CHEK airwaves asking for money.  

#38 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

Still think that the cancellation is related to poor ticket sales rather than the Royals.

I'm not paying for tickets to see the royals while they are in Victoria.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

Still think that the cancellation is related to poor ticket sales rather than the Royals but in any event I notice that Cool Aid has hit the CFAX and CHEK airwaves asking for money.  

Cool aid, or Our Place?  Our Place is running ads, citing Burley Men as the ad sponsor.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:19 PM

The PGA golfers and the Royals are not the only famous people here this weekend.

Justin Trudeau will be here Saturday, and might possibly arrive sooner and/or stay beyond just Saturday. He's spending most of tomorrow in Montreal though.

Think selfie-boy will make a unannounced appearance somewhere public?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users